What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by 3.14159 »

I'm with you swoop.
He has padded it out with tales from the Silmarilion but 3 films is just too many.
David, is Moonrise Kingdom on DVD yet?
If so I'll take-up your company's mail-order film offer.
(No hope of getting it up this way)
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

It is! Still on the new release shelf, but I'll let you know when it's available for mail rental if you like. :)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by stui magpie »

swoop42 wrote:The Hobbit.

Now I haven't read it or LOTR but one thing I do know is that the book is shorter than fellowship of the ring.

Even allowing for the addition of scenes taken from the appendices of LOTR how can Jackson possibly justify making it into a trilogy?

He can't IMO.

6/10.
LOTR is 3 books, each longer than the Hobbit. I read the Hobbit in high school, liked it and bought the LOTR trilogy in 1984.

The only way you could make the Hobbit the same length (3 movies) as the LOTR is by either padding excessively or doing it in real time while someone who is a slow reader narrates the book.

Oh, 3.14etc, the Silmarilion is really hard read. Doesn't flow at all.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood

Re: Not the Master!

Post by Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood »

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by Big T »

stui magpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:The Hobbit.

Now I haven't read it or LOTR but one thing I do know is that the book is shorter than fellowship of the ring.

Even allowing for the addition of scenes taken from the appendices of LOTR how can Jackson possibly justify making it into a trilogy?

He can't IMO.

6/10.
LOTR is 3 books, each longer than the Hobbit. I read the Hobbit in high school, liked it and bought the LOTR trilogy in 1984.

The only way you could make the Hobbit the same length (3 movies) as the LOTR is by either padding excessively or doing it in real time while someone who is a slow reader narrates the book.

Oh, 3.14etc, the Silmarilion is really hard read. Doesn't flow at all.
Spot on Stui. i read the Hobbit in primary school 1985, then bought LOTR loved em, Hobbit was like a little golden book in comparison. Then bought the Silmarilion and found it really tough to read.

I will probably watch the first Hobbit on DVD, find it as interesting as the first Star Wars (episode 1) and then not watch the oher two. Memory of the book as a kid is better.
Buon Giorno
David

Re: Not the Master!

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

David wrote: 4. Moonrise Kingdom: Wes Anderson's instantly recognisable 'deadpan kitsch' aesthetic reaches its peak here. By far the most enjoyable and consistent film he's made (yes, even better than Rushmore!), Moonrise Kingdom is worth seeing for the cast alone: Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Jason Schwartzman, not to mention the two excellent child actors in the lead roles. Otherwise, it's just a great, fun, heartwarming movie.
Watched Moonrise Kingdom last night. Very enjoyable, a bit quirky and not laugh out loud funny, but I found myself smiling throughout the film.

Agree with David that the cast is great, the two child actors in particular. Also liked the use of music as a thread through the film.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Over the last few days I have watched the following..

American Pie The Reunion
Man of The House (Chevy Chase.)
Horrible Bosses
That's My Boy
Pauly Shore Is Dead
Hot Tub Time Machine
Bedtime Stories

I might even re-watch Shutter Island tonight.
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

other night i watched two stallone classics, back to back:

- cliffhanger.
- daylight.

fitting end to daylight: the girl asks stallone out and he responds "on one condition. we gotta take the bridge"

cue credits.

(a bit of context - daylight is about the new jersey tunnel collapsing)

these cheesy action movies are a guilty pleasure.
mandy

Post by mandy »

After a busy, busy few months I finally had a weekend to myself. Since Friday I've watched:

Deadfall
Arbitrage
Pitch Perfect
10 years
The Good Doctor
Liberal Arts
The Imposter
This is 40
Lincoln
Killing Them Softly
Flight

And I started season 2 of The Sopranos. Best weekend! :D
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE

Post by 3.14159 »

stui magpie wrote: Oh, 3.14etc, the Silmarilion is really hard read. Doesn't flow at all.
I think the Silmarillion is the best of Tolkiens works.

It doesn't flow in the way LOTR and Hobbit do, but it isn't supposed to.
It is a series of stories about the creation of Valinor, Berilland and the 1st and second Ages of middle-Earth.
Tolkien wrote most of it before he wrote The LOTR and it provides most of the ground work for the later books.
Try picking it up and ignore the first few chapters (re; The Music of the Valar) and skip to "Of the coming of the elves and the chaining of Melkor".
Basically they (first chapters) are an Old Testament creation myth. It's enough to know there are gods sitting some-where in the Western Ocean of Middle-Earth.
Most ppl are familiar enough with middle-Earth to get a grasp of what's going on after that.
I thought P Jackson would have done better to do The Hobbit in one movie and then do a series of films like Feanor and the curse of the Noldor, The Fall of Gondolin, Turin Turumbar, Beren and Luthien etc.
The stories in The Silmarillion are almost endless.
It could be a sensational.

Btw, I thought the "dwarf tossing" jokes in Moria and Helms Deep were uncalled for and totally out of place in theses films.
I am but a humble fan of JJR and not some hot-shot film director.
David

Post by David »

Is Liberal Arts any good? I've been wondering whether I should see that at the cinema.
mandy

Post by mandy »

No. No it's not.
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

A mix of old and new (can't remember the exact names in some cases): Argo, The Hobbit, Our Idiot Brother, Skyfall, Mother (good Korean movie for David), The Fighter (Wahlberg), Walk the Line, Les Miserables (Jackman).

All bearable. Skyfall was entertaining (great theme song alone), the acting in Walk the Line was super, while Mother was a disturbing critique of Korean society which might be tricky to grasp from the outside.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 253 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Going to watch expendables 2 tonight, loved it at the movies! Also picked up total recall, I loved the original with arnie, hope it's good. Plus I think it's called old lions, I remember seeing a bit of it on Telly, about a kid some grumpy old men kind of adopt from his brutal father. Also got safe house, with denzel washington and the swanny lookalike, I was watching it on a plane but missed the end.

Then it will be time for another swim,

God I love summer!

Cruising with the top down, and an old DVD playing full blast!

Bliss!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!