Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Remember we were always in the media for our bad culture? The drug rumours? The drug scandal that was leaked. The rat club. Yeah wish that had kept going. Fact is Seedsman wasn’t putting the effort in and just skating by on the paddock to live the lifestyle off it. Wellingham was another. But just because he did a couple of good things today, he’s suddenly a superstar who could have won us premierships. Dream on
Steady on. No-one here is saying that he should still be playing for us, Mr M.
Being impressed by something an opposition player executes can be just that. An admiration for a skill well performed. Sometimes curiosity is just simply that too - there doesn't have to have a hidden agenda behind it. :wink:
Fair enough! I was just gobsmacked by repeat posts in the game day thread saying this is why we should never have traded him. Short memories! Glad he pulled the finger out and did well at Adelaide and yeah, he would’ve been handy today on that form
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

A win for the soul. It was tiring losing too many close ones recently, so I'm glad we're on the winning side for a change.

Elliott's return was perfect. Didn't miss a beat, and his lead up work was terrific. We've really missed him over the last two months, but hopefully he has a good run at it for the rest of the year. 6 goals is a personal best for him.

Pendlebury and Sidebottom were outstanding. They were a major reason for the victory.

The emergence of some good young talent is what keeps the faith of supporters during tough times. Bianco, Poulter and McCreery all look like proper footballers with long careers ahead of them.

Best part about today was the way we fought back in the latter stages of the 3rd quarter. The game looked like slipping away again but we found another gear and the kids were front and centre here. The pressure went up and they handled the heat beautifully.

Big credit to Darcy Cameron at the end. Struggled all game, but he took some big grabs in the dying stages which slowed the game down, killed some time and ultimately deprived Adelaide any chance to kick a winner in the end.
Last edited by Jezza on Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

PyreneesPie wrote:Something I was wondering about during the game - why did we trade Seedsman? Was it because he was a bit injury prone or was he part of a deal to get someone else? Treloar maybe? Those two long goals he kicked were just magnificent.
We got a second rounder (#32) which we sent to the Dees with Kennedy for Howe, so some might call it a win win....I thought we should have kept him then, and still think so now
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

PyreneesPie wrote:Something I was wondering about during the game - why did we trade Seedsman? Was it because he was a bit injury prone or was he part of a deal to get someone else? Treloar maybe? Those two long goals he kicked were just magnificent.
He was a party boy
Bux couldn't control him.
Has had a good career at the crows but not a great career.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

He was a party boy
Bux couldn't control him.
Has had a good career at the crows but not a great career.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

[quote="Pies4shaw"][quote="Lazza"]Also time for the posters who want to delist C. Brown to man up and admit that they were premature in wanting him out. I thought his performance with doing the one percenters was elite. Top game from Browny.
Magpies035

Post by Magpies035 »

Great to finally have a win.

As its clearly obvious we want to be defensive first. We need to pull the trigger and move to offensive play.

Its difficult to understand Nathan Buckley who in his press conference said nothing had changed and wants us to be a defensive side.
I'm totally confused by these comments. The crap we put in against Geelong was truly the worst game of football. It was not that it was just defensive.

The frustrating part is how we move the ball. The constant sideways backward overhandball whatever you want to say. The players make too many mistakes and turn the ball over.

How deliberate can this be and how can you even be happy with this play.

Today was great because we played forward and took the game on. How can you say nothing has changed in our style of play.

Please explain the Buckley coaching plan

What is he doing and how will it make us contend finals again?
The Great Macedonian Marvel
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Big T »

I like the look of Murphy. Real potential there.
Buon Giorno
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

If this isn't proof we should be putting the playing group into a hotel together the night before every home game i don't know what is...

We have a pathetic home record and there's something wrong with players home lives that are interfering with there onfield performance.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Good video. Notice the massive difference to the Brisbane game that when Adelaide went through the middle, they were met with a wall of Pies players. Against Brisbane they just strode up the middle basically uncontested.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpies035 wrote:Great to finally have a win.

As its clearly obvious we want to be defensive first.

Please explain the Buckley coaching plan

What is he doing and how will it make us contend finals again?
Did you watch/listen to his presser yesterday? He explained it (sort of :wink: ) then. My interpretation was that he wants the defensive game to be the basis and they are now looking to add "layers" over this. For example, toady we looked to the corridor much more frequently going forward and I assume this is one of these layers.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Ok I’ll say it. It was a terrific coaching effort from Bucks and his assistant coaches to fashion out a nice win. They have a very long way to go to beat the top teams but today was a good start. Winning helps team confidence which in turn helps with winning games. Their chances of beating Melbourne just increased.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
MickMCG34

Post by MickMCG34 »

Jezza
Agree, the “comebacks” (3?) were very encouraging.
All “against the flow” (as they say) and for a change, we made the opposition “pay” for their inaccuracy.
In the end “look at the scoreboard”.
Woodsman forever
E

Post by E »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Remember we were always in the media for our bad culture? The drug rumours? The drug scandal that was leaked. The rat club. Yeah wish that had kept going. Fact is Seedsman wasn’t putting the effort in and just skating by on the paddock to live the lifestyle off it. Wellingham was another. But just because he did a couple of good things today, he’s suddenly a superstar who could have won us premierships. Dream on
Steady on. No-one here is saying that he should still be playing for us, Mr M.
Being impressed by something an opposition player executes can be just that. An admiration for a skill well performed. Sometimes curiosity is just simply that too - there doesn't have to have a hidden agenda behind it. :wink:
Fair enough! I was just gobsmacked by repeat posts in the game day thread saying this is why we should never have traded him. Short memories! Glad he pulled the finger out and did well at Adelaide and yeah, he would’ve been handy today on that form
Seedsman has turned out to be the biggest blunder we have made as a club. he is the player we traded that has gone on to have the best career post collingwood. Heath Shaw maybe second, but we got taylor adams for him so it was a fair trade (and made sensibly based on relative ages and the state of the list).

Seedsman on the other hand was traded for nothing. As i watched Callum brown play yet another useless game, i was left to wonder why cant we allow the kids to grow out of their stupid phases (and leave them rotting in the reserves until the find themselves). Why do we have to teach them a lesson so that other clubs benefit.

I cant help but think that Stevo will also one day grow out of his stupid phase and we will rue that trade as much as we must rue the seedsman trade.

The worst thing is that We plucked Seedsman out of nowhere.