Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We’re not far off, have faith
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote:Howe's performance was underrated tonight. The one defender who was reliable throughout.

Made multiple spoils against Brisbane's talls (i.e. Daniher and McStay) and was willing to even leave his direct opponent to help his teammates.
Yeahguilty if missing that in the votes, I guess I just expect it from him!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Mr Miyagi wrote:We’re not far off, have faith
I agree, Mr Miyagi
Fly, and his assistants, are doing very, very well.
We still manage to score 91, with what many (including myself) thought would be a dysfunctional forward line....
Against one of the best defences in the AFL....
Not far away, for sure.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

MAY-Z wrote:de goey kicks a goal, 2 mins to go and he comes off, i know it unlikely to get a result from there, but its impossible when he goes off
This. Seriously, WTF
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

Don't get sucked in to the Darcy Moore is a forward concept again. He is not a forward, he is a defender who can go forward and pluck a goal now and then. He is missing some important attributes that a KPF needs to be successful.

1. Darcy cannot mark the ball in a contest. He is an intercept marker.
2. He is not agile enough when the ball is at ground level. Can't make something out of nothing.
3. He is not smart enough to be a forward. Need to be able to fool the opponent. Turn him inside out, fake a lead one way, double back etc.
4. A good KPF can push up the ground and run back hard. Moore doesn't have the tank for that.

His strengths are intercept marking, straight line running, being generally tall and the son of a legend, not much else. Kind of makes you wonder why he's on a big contract, but that's another debate.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Monco Matt wrote:Don't get sucked in to the Darcy Moore is a forward concept again. He is not a forward, he is a defender who can go forward and pluck a goal now and then. He is missing some important attributes that a KPF needs to be successful.

1. Darcy cannot mark the ball in a contest. He is an intercept marker.
2. He is not agile enough when the ball is at ground level. Can't make something out of nothing.
3. He is not smart enough to be a forward. Need to be able to fool the opponent. Turn him inside out, fake a lead one way, double back etc.
4. A good KPF can push up the ground and run back hard. Moore doesn't have the tank for that.

His strengths are intercept marking, straight line running, being generally tall and the son of a legend, not much else. Kind of makes you wonder why he's on a big contract, but that's another debate.
Don't think anyone is getting sucked into that concept.
Think that Fly just did this under very specific conditions:
Our forward line was a makeshift construction, created over 5 days, and the injection of Darcy Moore was simply a wild card, played under very specific conditions.
There is absolutely no possibility that anyone is harbouring illusions of Darcy Moore becoming a permanent forward.
He is a gun defender, which is why he is on a big contract.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpies035

Post by Magpies035 »

Good effort again
But a difference in class. Even though it was close Lions are a classy outfit.

Our forward 50 entries were very poor tonight and we never looked like taking a mark inside at all. We have some good young kids but until we find a Forward (hello is anyone listening) we can't compete with the top teams. Simple as that.
Hopefully the MacRae sees this and along with a really good look at our list we just need to be patient. We have too many average players unfortunately that are either better than VFL standard but not quite AFL level. We need to fix this problem.

First year of New system.
New game style and getting everyone in on the plan all just take time.

Good signs move on to next game
The Great Macedonian Marvel
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
MAY-Z wrote:de goey kicks a goal, 2 mins to go and he comes off, i know it unlikely to get a result from there, but its impossible when he goes off
This. Seriously, WTF
He was gassed. Could barely move once he got to the bench.
Est. 2002
CaptainSnooze

Post by CaptainSnooze »

First 2 minutes set the scene for the night. Krueger tackle in forward pocket not rewarded (M Adams missed the ball with his foot ). Ball goes down other end, McStay huge push on Maynard.. play on, goal to Lyons. Umpiring was terrible tonight.

Love Krueger's aggression. Loved his ragdolling of Gardner. Hodge said he hasn't seen Gardner lose a wrestle. I can't remember us having a player like him in my 40+ years: tall, strong, athletic, aggressive, tackling pressure. We may have an enforcer type player.

Another good game by Madgen. Plenty don't want him in the team (and I wouldn't mind if he wasn't), but people focus on his couple of mistakes per game, and not the good work he does. In the 2nd quarter, it was mistakes from Howe, Moore, Roughead that hurt us. Madgen's direct opponent had little influence again. 85% disposal efficiency. Yes, he fumbles below his knees occasionally, but every player in our team and pretty much the league does. Maybe not Nick Daicos (what a star).
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

CaptainSnooze wrote:
Another good game by Madgen. Plenty don't want him in the team (and I wouldn't mind if he wasn't), but people focus on his couple of mistakes per game, and not the good work he does. In the 2nd quarter, it was mistakes from Howe, Moore, Roughead that hurt us. Madgen's direct opponent had little influence again. 85% disposal efficiency. Yes, he fumbles below his knees occasionally, but every player in our team and pretty much the league does. Maybe not Nick Daicos (what a star).
Agree with your acknowledgement of Madgen. Did plenty of great things.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Mr Miyagi wrote:We’re not far off, have faith
True,that.Put a real full forward in the side who can actually mark the ball and kick straight,instead of Cox/Cameron,who constantly drop the ball,then we would almost certainly be undefeated at this point.We aren’t that far off at all,just need to address our biggest weaknesses up forward.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

inxs88 wrote:Seriously though Taylor Adams field kicking tonight was like watching THAT 2018 GF kick stuff up on REPEAT
Agree. I’ve called for it before but trade him now while he’s got currency
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Jpies

Post by Jpies »

LaurieHolden wrote:
At present, I count 5 players whom I believe would start in any 22 in the comp. And only 3 in an AA Under 22 side. We need three more drafts to get close to acquiring the personnel required for a legitimate final 8 push.
Interested to know who you have in that category, particularly the u/22's? I would count 7: Moore, Howe, Pendlebury, De Goey, Grundy, Crisp, Nick Daicos.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

derkd wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:Great Effort to get in with Single Digits after the Terrible Side that was Selected

No Shock Moore and Kreuger was a Massive Upgrade from the 2 Duds in Cameron and Cox.

Also Brought Nobel on for Cameron and we looked way better

Both Daicos good Again.

De Goey good last Qtr just Missing for 1st 3 Qtrs

Hopefully last AFL Games for Madgen/C Brown/Cox/Cameron
Always been my knock on him. I won't be unhappy if he head elsewhere next year if we can land another top 10 pick for him...win!
He’s not accountable enough defensively to play midfield. The 2nd qtr particularly saw the Lions midfielders stream into the f50 and JDG was walking 20m back
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
KickTruly

Post by KickTruly »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote: When McRae gets back to Melbourne Wright should call him into the office and announce a pay rise for him. Whatever he’s on the club should double it.
I thought when McRae gets to the office, he should first grab a stiff drink. :lol:
Think MAGPIES...winning the Flag this year!