#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

jack_spain wrote:Sidebottom was my pick for the Norm Smith. Seriously, those journos only go for the names they know! :evil:
Apparently it was Harley and Brereton who did not give him a solitary vote, whereas he had two 3s and a 2 from the other 3 guys.
Get back on top.
swooper
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

I love you Steele!
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

He was fantastic! WOO HOO!!! And got a hug from him on the boundary line during the celebration lap to top the day off! Love ya Steele!!!! :D
abhi_007cruise

Post by abhi_007cruise »

only 19 and have got heart to become a gr8 player, always keep smiling and will as he has got a reason to be..probably the youngest player to be a part of premiers team?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

'Hopes in his heart, dreams in his hands..Jack Anthony..He's done it "Go the Pies"
mel_kay39

Post by mel_kay39 »

Scotch wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Scotch wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:He's amazing. Ever since he's come to the club his work rate has been absolutely top notch. You could just see this kid was going to make it right from the start (feel the same about McCarthy). The skills or physical attributes are nothing like as important as the guts and mental application. Lack of the former is why Sidebottom fell to us in the draft. But the latter... Sidebottom, and I feel McCarthy, have this in spades.

Well done Sidey. Today's performance was one to remember.
I think his got plenty of skills, and was the fastest player in one of the running tests (don't remember which one) last year (and probably this year).

And he would have had my 2 votes >.-
He certainly does. But is not the elite athlete, or have the elite skills of your usual top 10 draft pick. Not sure about his testing in draft camp, but his lack of top pace was a concern for many at the time. It was felt he was not quick enough to be an outside player, and possibly not strong or good enough in close to be an extractor. Everyone knew he could be a good average player, but were not certain he could be more.
When he becomes the half-forward of the decade they'll be put in their place.
he kicks ten goals in a TAC grand final and they're not sure if he could be more than just a good average player?! Who are these people?
A Pie for Life.
silverphoenix

Post by silverphoenix »

i had 25 on him @ $34 and $25 at $51's woulda loved him to of won it!
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

Steele is the ultimate big occasion player. His two best games are the two Grand Finals. His next two are the prelim this year and the Semi Final vs Adelaide last year.

He hasn't even got a Rising Star nomination but his finals work puts him ahead of every Rising Star this decade with the possible exception of J Sellwood.

The commentary team at the ABC pointed out that while Hayes deserved his Norm Smith last week and Pendles deserved his this week, if you are going to give premiership medals to Leon and Gardiner then the Norm Smith should have been decided over both matches and would have gone to Daisy Thomas.

Daisy and Steele were our first draft picks in their respective years because of how they had performed (BOG) in the TAC Grand Finals. Hine and Malthouse were right. Performance on a genuine big occasion is a more important indicator than all the Draft Camp tests in the world.

Unfortunately this year's TAC GF BOG isn't available to us because he is going to the Bulldogs under the Father/Son rule (Mitch Wallis son of Steve)
Born and raised in Black and White
carcarly_pieland

Post by carcarly_pieland »

Does anybody else think that he has a bum that sticks up? LOL (Dawesy too! while we are on this topic)

The teenager Man of Steele is full of poise and composure. Ever so cool on the biggest stage, and hardly put a foot wrong. Onya Sidey!!!
Side By Side. Back To Back. COLLINGWOOD - 2010 PREMIERS and Beyond
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Shepparton New, Monday 8/11/2010

Sorry for the "double image". That's the way they printed the rag.
magman29

Post by magman29 »

Man of steel.... wasnt that Stalin ?
MrsJackAnthony

Post by MrsJackAnthony »

he always steeles the show :)
'Let them eat cake'- Marie Antoinete, the Last Queen of France.
tomoleary

Post by tomoleary »

The best nickname for him I've heard is 'Stainless.'

It reflects his squeaky clean image as well as his flawless playing ability.
Mr flagpastie

Post by Mr flagpastie »

My favourite player and for me was the best in grand final but Pendelbury made a good case too.
The moon rulz.
melliot

Post by melliot »

What stood out for me after watching the DVD over and over is that he was so clean. One grab touches, when so many fumbled and second grabbed.

That is a sign of a really good player.
swooper
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

The other great thing about this is that he is only 19 and (hopefully) we can get another 10 yrs from him....and maybe squeeze out a few more premierships.. :wink: