Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Surely ScoMo was misquoted, otherwise he has seriously lost the plot:

https://junkee.com/forklift-license-chi ... son/319965
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

The source of the story seems to be The Guardian which immediately puts it's integrity at doubt, also the mischievous term "Children" which while technically correct implies that he wants to let primary school kids drive forklifts.

Currently Vic and NSW have minimum age of 18 for a forklift licence, yet NSW lets you get your P's and drive a car on the road at 17.

No reason why a 16 or 17 year old shouldn't be able to get a forklift licence, even though they are legally "children"
Last edited by stui magpie on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I agree with safety over profit but I wasn't considering it from a profit point of view, more supply chain and product shortages.

None of that would be magically fixed by allowing 17 year olds to get a forklift licence, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

It's a moot discussion anyway as it's a state decision, not Morrisons, all he can do is make a suggestion and ask them to consider it. With the different licensing conditions and restrictions applying to Cars in different states and territories, I'd suggest there's zero chance of getting a uniform approach.
The minimum driving age for drivers varies between states and territories. Learner drivers may drive, under the supervision of a fully licensed driver, from 15 years and 9 months in the ACT,[5] and 16 years in the other states and the Northern Territory. The minimum unsupervised driving age is 18 years in Victoria, 16 years and 6 months in the Northern Territory, and 17 years in all other states and the ACT.

After obtaining a licence, drivers continue to be subject to restrictions during a probationary period, which is two years in the Northern Territory and Western Australia, three years in the ACT, New South Wales and South Australia, and four years in Victoria.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_li ... _Australia
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Dark Beanie wrote:Booked prior to Christmas.

Now other places, such as the Windsor, are booked out.
Update:
After my sister ringing around other venues, the Windsor has been very helpful and has been able to accomodate our booking for High tea, albeit in a separate room. Definitely much better customer service than Crown.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Great news, enjoy xx
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The Windsor is cool.

Back in 96, my Dad spent 6 weeks as an in/out patient at Peter Mac which back then was just down the road a bit. (I'd take him in Monday morning on the way to work and pick him up and take him back to my place Saturday morning) He was getting radiation treatment weekdays on his face post cancer surgery which left him looking like The Elephant man. (so called plastic surgeon was a drunk with a chainsaw)

Anyway, each afternoon after lunch, he'd get out of bed, put on his good clothes and Akubra, light up a Marlboro and walk up hill to the Windsor for a few pots. The staff there always made him welcome, after a bit they'd see him coming in and pour him a pot in anticipation, with a plastic straw in it without being asked (his mouth was so mangled he couldn't drink without one).

Old fashioned class with old fashioned manners and customer service.

Enjoy your High Tea.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

So week 2 with the new role, been doing a lot of meets and greets with execs and snr managers, all online of course.

This place has it's own Op Shop and apparently they have some pretty high end donors. One of the items they get regularly are the paper bags that high end shops like Chanel give you when you buy stuff.

People will pay $40 for a high end brand name paper bag. :shock:
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

WTF, that’s nuts! Where is the op shop? Any fancy dresses?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Enjoy the link.

Drove to Tocumwal this morning, fkn he'll it's humid, worse than Melbourne, :? Whippersnipped the yard and I was drenched. Put the tools away, I'll mow early tomorrow morning, instead installed a new air con in the bedroom and went for a swim

Post by #26 »

Listening to a chat about the Olympics on the radio and was reminded that Brisbane will be hosting the 2032 Olympics. WTF? I thought Melbourne was suppossed to be the sporting capital of Australia!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times

Post by eddiesmith »

We were until 2014.

But apparently could be hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games with a lot of interest from Regional Victoria.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

#26 wrote:Listening to a chat about the Olympics on the radio and was reminded that Brisbane will be hosting the 2032 Olympics. WTF? I thought Melbourne was suppossed to be the sporting capital of Australia!
Oh god, what a nightmare that would have been! Happy for that circus to stay out of this city for the next century.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange

Post by #26 »

^ Nah. You'd dig it the most, David. :wink:
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

David wrote:
#26 wrote:Listening to a chat about the Olympics on the radio and was reminded that Brisbane will be hosting the 2032 Olympics. WTF? I thought Melbourne was suppossed to be the sporting capital of Australia!
Oh god, what a nightmare that would have been! Happy for that circus to stay out of this city for the next century.
Amen to that!
kill for collingwood!