#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Scribe

Post by Scribe »

ThePieMind, Connors was interviewed on Trade Radio this morning - that interview has been replayed a number of times throughout the day.

Expect the mainstream papers to put the quotes to print in the next 12 hours.

For anyone else wanting to listen in on a bunch of journos (with just as much an idea as the rest of us) field horrible trade ideas from listeners while also interviewing agents and football managers, go here:

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/news/trade/trade-radio
Scribe

Post by Scribe »

Beams is under contract.

Collingwood also have the ability to match any contract offer next season.

Collingwood has the power in this.

Brisbane will low-ball in the media, Collingwood will demand plenty and the reality is, we'll finish somewhere in the middle.

Listening to Bucks and Ed's comments over the weekend, I'm confident we won't do a trade unless we're properly compensated.
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

WarrenerraW wrote:So we play hardball and keep him for another year because we refuse to meet the bears demands then risk losing him for less next year or worse still - free agency at the end of 2016. The problem is that those f***s know he wants out and wants to go home to brisbane. So who really has the power here?
If Brisbane are only offering pick 4 plus crappy steak knives this year then there's no reason we should accept it this year. Next year, when he's uncontracted, Brisbane will still have to offer the same as a minimum because precedent shows that's how much you have to offer even when a player is uncontracted. We'll get an extra year out of Beams, and who knows, maybe in those 12 months Beams will change his mind and want to stay.

Will Brisbane be willing to take that risk? Especially in their situation where they've just lost 5 players and finally a star actually wants to go to their club? Brisbane are negotiating like Beams is uncontracted. He's not so we hold the cards. They will have to pay at least fair value to pry him off us. If we have to accept unders then do it next year when we actually are in a position of weakness.
Scribe

Post by Scribe »

My sympathy for Beams has diminished greatly.

FWIW - I'd happily not trade him and watch him play VFL all year in 2015 rather than get bent over in a trade from the Bears.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 100 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

ThePieMind wrote:
Scribe wrote:Right, this is a direct quote from Beams' manager this morning:

"Dayne's father is healthy and in remission - he has not had a relapse."

"Dayne spent some time with his old man a few weeks ago and that crystallised his thoughts on the decision."

"This is purely a player wanting to go home."

This significantly changes my thoughts on this. I still understand Beams' motives, but make no mistake, Collingwood should be in no rush to cater to his wants when under contract, even if it means losing him for less next year.

We hold the aces here.

Brisbane's football manager stated this morning that pick 4 would do. If that's all they are willing to offer, I hope Dayne enjoys another season at Westpac.
Source please.
All this talk of if he is using his fathers illness as an excuse is getting really old. His father is still ill end of story. Is it life threatening or is it not is a family issue and between the family and there medical people. Simple fact is his father has battled for many months cancer and as many of here have given personal examples you are never rid of it totally and in some cases just when you think it's over it's back to slap you down again.
As for his manager supposed comments with out a source I put little credence in them at all.
I'll take the personal factor out for a minute.
Pick 4 is not acceptable and the lions would know full well. If they think they can get Dayne cheap because of his fathers illness and collingwood trying to be seen as being very fair to a player who they obviously want to keep they are starting a new relationship under really poor conditions.
Dayne is contracted end of story if the club can't get a fair deal then it will be the lions doing not the clubs.
Eddie, Bucks and Pert have been fair is saying they will do there best but won't accept anything other than fair compensation which is fair.
Being totally selfish magpie supporter if we can't get a very good deal the he plays for us next year and hope his personal circumstances change and he stays long term.
Being a family friend I hope Dayne gets his wish and the club gets a fair deal and everyone ends up happy.
As for the media rubbish looking to make more out of the story than there is is just a typical collingwood bashing newspaper selling excerise.
What sells papers when the season is over ? Turmoil at collingwood and the place falling apart !
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

DrPopper wrote:I don't know what to believe about this ....
In a private conversation with someone who knows that I was party to they were specifically asked (by a insider) "If his father lived in Melbourne would he still want out?" the answer was along the lines of "Probably yes, other issues are also in play"

If it is a return home ...fine

But there is more too it.
Concrete EVIDENCE please????

Put all the facts down instead of more bloody speculation..... :roll:
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

While we need to play hardball over Beams we also need to be somewhat realistic and get the deal done.

Do people seriously think keeping a disgruntled Beams on our list for 2015 is somehow going to be a positive for our club and our players trying to build something together as a united group?

The thought of watching a player run around in our colours next year who isn't committed to the club and can't be trusted to be giving his all when he takes to the field is a demoralising one for me and I'm sure some of his teammates.

Be to stubborn and we'll only end up retaining a bitter player who wants out, one we'll only end up losing for less next year and one who could conceivably walk out on the club all together during next season should his fathers health take a turn for the worse.

Unless he's prepared to commit to the club with a contract extension now and accept the clubs help in trying to give him more time off then trade him for the best deal possible that's within realistic expectations.

We wont be getting pick 4 and a player like Hanley but if it's pick 4 and Mayes then get it done. If it's pick 4 and 24 reluctantly get it done.

I'd be shocked if only pick 4 is on the table and believe that's just posturing by the lions.

We do hold some aces right now but come next year they will have a full house.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Swoop's right, there's no reason to get worked up over Brisbane's position so early, and plenty of reasons not to. Every negotiation starts this way. Remember that GWS were never going to accept a straight swap of Shaw for Adams. More than pick 4 will be on the table, it's just a matter of whether it's enough more.
Well done boys!
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

AN_Inkling wrote:Swoop's right, there's no reason to get worked up over Brisbane's position so early, and plenty of reasons not to. Every negotiation starts this way. Remember that GWS were never going to accept a straight swap of Shaw for Adams. More than pick 4 will be on the table, it's just a matter of whether it's enough more.
Maybe we can offer a pick and beams, and get pick 4 and an appropriate player?
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

While I think we should do everything reasonable to get Beams home, it shouldn't be at any cost.

I just heard his manager Paul Connors say on the news that his dad is in remission and doing well, so it's certainly not the desperate race-against-time issue it was painted as early.

At some point the club has to draw a line in the sand and if Beams is prepared to see us bent over in a trade then he can get stuffed. Pick 4 and a good player or we spend the next year seeking interest from anyone that wants him.
jdpie1970

Post by jdpie1970 »

Is it ok to want to spend the last 3-4 years together as a family ? I don't think we can place our perception of time and need onto others.
If he wants to go we let him go but we get the appropriate compensation. I really don't believe that he has shown ever in his time at the Pies that he is a "let us get bent over" type of guy and i know absolutely that Paul Connors is a keep you at your club manager.
stui magpie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by stui magpie »

jdpie1970 wrote:Is it ok to want to spend the last 3-4 years together as a family ? I don't think we can place our perception of time and need onto others.
If he wants to go we let him go but we get the appropriate compensation. I really don't believe that he has shown ever in his time at the Pies that he is a "let us get bent over" type of guy and i know absolutely that Paul Connors is a keep you at your club manager.
Really? And exactly how do you know this, oh person who's been here 3 days?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 103 times

Post by RudeBoy »

jdpie1970 wrote:Is it ok to want to spend the last 3-4 years together as a family ? I don't think we can place our perception of time and need onto others.
Thanks Paul. :roll:
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Fair compensation will make everyone happy but the Brions cant go around sprouting that its pick 4 or nothing :!: All that does is to raise the ire of the club and it's loyal fans. If you play in a gutter with gutter tactics, you will only end up being bitten by a gutter snake. :roll:
It HAS to be pick 4 PLUS a damn good player. Or else nothing.
jdpie1970

Post by jdpie1970 »

you are most welcome, i did leave myself wide open for that.