What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

^ let me know what you think of it. Would be interesting to compare notes.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

I'm not art history buff but I really enjoyed it from a general viewer perspective. The juxtapisition (this is me trying to sound all smart, knowing how smart your reviews are!) of Owen and the famous literary figures in the 20's was pretty funny, really enjoyed the dialogue.

The whole premise of the movie was pretty lame when you think about it. To boil down the "lesson learnt" in 2 minutes at the end was pretty stupid and it wasnt that great of a lesson anyways; that we always look to the past with fonder memories and we'd never be satisfied.

There are alot of other things wrong with it. Like, they turned McAdam (who I adore) into such a bitch, you'd find it hard to believe her and Owen's character would last long enough in real life to get engaged.

But overall it was enjoyable. The beautiful cinematography, women and music mixed in with the usual dose of Woody's neuroticism made it a fun couple of hours.

What about you David? (i guess that make me margerate?)

p.s. I loved how they portrayed Hemmingway, and Dalli going on and on about rhinoceros was hilarious.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

Yep I agree with the comment on characters. Yet I feel that it was a conscious sacrifice to forego character development in favour of fitting in as many as possible.

I'm not part of that crowd you described, yet I didn't feel awkward about the name dropping. Also it helps that I do find Owen charming in his own clumsy kind of way.

It felt like an excursion and at times I shared Wilson's joy everytime he met one of his heroes.

And I think that's what summed it up for me. It felt less like a traditional movie with a plot to follow, and more like an experience, if that makes sense.

Better than Vicky Cristina Barcelona? No you're right, its not. Yet I still award it with a solid three and-a-half stars.

Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

by the way, i swear i didn't look up any reviews on this (i just finished watching it a few hours ago), let alone David and Margaret's; but she awarded it the same number of stars. Ha!
KenH

Post by KenH »

Watched Toy story 3 last night. Really enjoyed it, it was as good as the original.
Cheers big ears
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

[quote="David"]I had mixed feelings as well. It was enjoyable, with a lot of clever and witty dialogue ("Well of course it makes sense to you
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

LOL.

I just had a look at the Village listings, and, yeah, I think it looks like the one to go for. Contagion looks surprisingly promising, but I think Woody's a safer bet. :)
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Big T »

Just watched Rocky Balboa (the final one). Predictable but still loved it. Apart from #5 which was a shomozzle, all good.
Buon Giorno
think positive
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

The Blind Side, totally brilliant.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

^great movie. im in love with sandra bullock
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

Warriors...

Effing fantastic! Brilliant!
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, we want some Bayley!
Jezza
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 272 times

Post by Jezza »

The last movie I watched was Armageddon on Saturday Night. Since my internet was down I had to sit through it.

Armageddon is your typical 90s movie, lots of good actors in it and your typical disaster movie. It's unrealistic but good entertainment.

I would give it 3 1/2 out of 5
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think positive
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Brenny wrote:Warriors...

Effing fantastic! Brilliant!
warriors.......come out to playyyyy!!

love that movie!!

love armageddon to, probably for the Bruce Willis perv factor!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Big T »

Watched the first 30 minutes of Midnight in Paris and then chucked it in the binsky. Shocking.
Buon Giorno