#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Museman wrote:
John Wren wrote:according to paul connors, they are dealing exclusively with brisbane. will be extremely disappointed if a trade cannot be facilitated but accepts collingwood holds the aces.
If it's Brisbane at all costs then any sympathy I have for his situation evaporates...

This is about getting him closer to his father, not getting him to a certain team.
Mate be reasonable and rational. It is about Brisbane ONLY because at this stage, GC don't want him. So logically WHY deal with the GC??? What is the sense of dealing with a club that doesnt want him???? :shock: :roll:
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Neil Appleby wrote:What I understand from all of the press articles and from qldmagpie67 is that:

Beams wants to go home to be with his ailing dad
He is not walking out on Collingwood
He wants a trade to a Qld club, preferably Brisbane
Gold Coast is not able to trade due to salary cap restrictions
Collingwood wants to keep Beams but understands this is unlikely to happen

Beams wants to assist Collingwood in getting adequate compensation

Buckley says No.4 and a player or players; nothing less

Think I got all that correct, so Brisbane does a deal swiftly to assist Beams getting back home, a deal that Collingwood accepts, or Beams stays a Collingwood player for a year. Dayne is not quitting the club or sitting out a season.

My gut feeling is he'll end up a Lion and we will get the deal we want. Win win.
Some posters are saying that Beams is not doing enough to get Collingwood the best possible deal from Brisbane. Not too sure how they know this for a fact though.... :roll:
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Museman wrote:Brisbane say pick 4 on it's own is fair....

And if they have to wait...they may have to wait.....

Nice choice Dayne!

Brisbane clearly cares about your predicament.
We won't take pick 4 only, I'm thinking we'll want their second rounder 'or' a decent player as well, forget about pick 4 and one of their young guns, won't happen.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Howdy all. Well I managed to catch up with Dayne's dad over the weekend.
I won't go into the conversation at any length due to it being a private conversation but suffice to say his illness issues are far from over.
I will however give up some insight into what has been a long running issue for Dayne.
His dads battle has been ongoing for the past several months and it has taken a huge personal toll on Dayne. Early on Dayne wasnt fully aware of the seriousness of the illness but more recently found out from his mother the true depth of what has happened.
The request for a trade came after Dayne spoke at length with both his father and mother as he was struggling to come to terms with the whole situation.
Dayne and his dad are very close and during the course of the year they club has been aware of his fathers battle and been very good to Dayne and his family.
I can confirm 100% this isn't about $$$ yes Dayne would receive more $$$ than his current contract but he would receive very close to the lions supposed offer if he remained at the pies.
This is all about a kid who wants to be close to his father.
The only part of the conversation I am prepared to recount is his father said that Dayne is fully aware that the pies are entitled to be fairly compensated in the trade process. He also stated that Eddie, Bucks and Pert had been nothing but totally supportive of Dayne during all this.
At the end of the day Dayne wouldn't be the only player in the history of the game to have to deal with a family issue and everyone handles it in there own way. No one even his harshest critic would be able say Dayne didn't give his absolute best at all times during the past season given the circumstances of his off field issues.
I am of the opinion now (and it's only MY opinion) that the club will do there best to facilitate a trade but if they can't reach a fair agreement Dayne will honour his contract and give nothing less than 100% each and every week as he has in every gem he has played for the club.
I know some will say I have only rehashed previously stated comments and in part that's true but unfortunately I am not willing to divulge the contents of our private conversations on here given the circumstances.
We can debate what's an acceptable trade to the cows come home and we can hope, wish and pray for them but please everyone think of this.
At the end of the day no matter what the trade outcome is it won't change the battle his father has faced or faces in the future.
Thanks for the update qldmagpie67. I think it's pretty clear that if Dayne's dad didn't have any of these health issues that he wouldn't have requested a trade back to Queensland. As Paul Connors said, it's "99%" the reason he wants to leave Collingwood.

I don't think any supporter can begrudge him that. What is concerning, and I guess what a lot of supporters like myself are trying to ascertain through your postings and through others that have "inside" knowledge of the situation, is how much of that "1%" had an influence in Beam's decision. Would he still have requested a trade if he was 100% happy at Collingwood and Heath hadn't been forced out last year and he liked Buck's coaching style? Or more to the point, how much truth is there to the whole "playing group isn't happy under Bucks" and whether that's just limited to the senior players that were part of the rat pack.
D,D,B'90

Post by D,D,B'90 »

Bucks2014 wrote:

Not buying that Gold Coast aren't interested, they wanted this kid bad before we drafted him.

Manager coming out stating it's in Collingwood's best interests that they deal with Brisbane and possibly bring other clubs into it, thought he was still contracted to us.
Agree. Sure Gold Coast would be interested, just as any other club would be !!
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Cam »

Lazza wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:Surely this is bull, as I can't find any info, but Trade whisper sights etc on Facebook are saying according to Damien Barrett Alex Fasolo has requested a trade.This crap will be enough for Mitch Clark and others to say no to us.
Only for information here but I was told the very same thing on Grand Final day in Melbourne but it was without any substantiation or concrete evidence so I dismissed it as pure speculation..... :roll:

Horses mouth

Alex Fasolo ‏@AlexFasolo 3h
Haven't requested a trade. Don't want to play anywhere else, even if someone out there did want me...
Get back on top.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

Defender wrote:

Nice choice Dayne!

We won't take pick 4 only, I'm thinking we'll want their second rounder 'or' a decent player as well, forget about pick 4 and one of their young guns, won't happen.
Brisbane hold all the cards.

We are likely to get bent over here, because Collingwood don't want Beams to talk.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 100 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Harvey wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:Howdy all. Well I managed to catch up with Dayne's dad over the weekend.
I won't go into the conversation at any length due to it being a private conversation but suffice to say his illness issues are far from over.
I will however give up some insight into what has been a long running issue for Dayne.
His dads battle has been ongoing for the past several months and it has taken a huge personal toll on Dayne. Early on Dayne wasnt fully aware of the seriousness of the illness but more recently found out from his mother the true depth of what has happened.
The request for a trade came after Dayne spoke at length with both his father and mother as he was struggling to come to terms with the whole situation.
Dayne and his dad are very close and during the course of the year they club has been aware of his fathers battle and been very good to Dayne and his family.
I can confirm 100% this isn't about $$$ yes Dayne would receive more $$$ than his current contract but he would receive very close to the lions supposed offer if he remained at the pies.
The only part of the conversation I am prepared to recount is his father said that Dayne is fully aware that the pies are entitled to be fairly compensated in the trade process. He also stated that Eddie, Bucks and Pert had been nothing but totally supportive of Dayne during all this.
At the end of the day Dayne wouldn't be the only player in the history of the game to have to deal with a family issue and everyone handles it in there own way. No one even his harshest critic would be able say Dayne didn't give his absolute best at all times during the past season given the circumstances of his off field issues.
I am of the opinion now (and it's only MY opinion) that the club will do there best to facilitate a trade but if they can't reach a fair agreement Dayne will honour his contract and give nothing less than 100% each and every week as he has in every gem he has played for the club.
I know some will say I have only rehashed previously stated comments and in part that's true but unfortunately I am not willing to divulge the contents of our private conversations on here given the circumstances.
We can debate what's an acceptable trade to the cows come home and we can hope, wish and pray for them but please everyone think of this.
At the end of the day no matter what the trade outcome is it won't change the battle his father has faced or faces in the future.
Thanks for the update qldmagpie67. I think it's pretty clear that if Dayne's dad didn't have any of these health issues that he wouldn't have requested a trade back to Queensland. As Paul Connors said, it's "99%" the reason he wants to leave Collingwood.

I don't think any supporter can begrudge him that. What is concerning, and I guess what a lot of supporters like myself are trying to ascertain through your postings and through others that have "inside" knowledge of the situation, is how much of that "1%" had an influence in Beam's decision. Would he still have requested a trade if he was 100% happy at Collingwood and Heath hadn't been forced out last year and he liked Buck's coaching style? Or more to the point, how much truth is there to the whole "playing group isn't happy under Bucks" and whether that's just limited to the senior players that were part of the rat pack.
Mate to be honest the only discussions I've ever had with Dayne directly he has been very happy at collingwood. I haven't spoken to him directly in some months it's only ever off season when he is at home.
The fact he wants a trade from what I've been told is solely on the basis of his fathers health at the present time.
One thing I am aware of is J Mac's death hit him really hard like many other pies players. If you look at Dayne's maturing since that time has been huge both on and off the field. I guess this could have some impact on him in hindsight not wanting to be left without a opportunity to say good bye again who knows what goes on inside various people's minds.
Back to topic
Whether its gold coast or lions the club deals with isn't important to me the club needs to get the best possible deal they can. I would believe Brisbane have far more cap space than the suns thinking of all the likes of O'Meara Preista, Dixon, May, Swallow would all be commanding more money than previously so there cap space wouldn't be huge. Plus losing K Hunt wouldn't free up much space as the AFL paid the big chunk of his wage. So I'm guessing Connors is dealing with the club who says they can afford and want him. Brisbane would be appealing as Claye is there and its a quick 44 minute trip from the gold coast so the travel wouldn't be huge.
Everyone needs to remember Dean Warren at the Lions answered a question when asked would they be interested in Dayne Beams when he came off contract and he answerd they would always be interested in Dayne Beams if he was available.
His fathers illness is 100% authentic Eddie and Pert have confirmed this publicly it's just the situation changed and now all parties are dealing with it.
I hope the club gets a good deal.
As Connors said the club is holding all the aces and you can be assured if Dayne does stay he will give 100% at all times.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Defender wrote:

Nice choice Dayne!

We are likely to get bent over here, because Collingwood don't want Beams to talk.
Quite the opposite actually. He's contracted to Collingwood for 2015 and doesn't qualify for FA until the end of 2016. So technically he could opt for the draft at the end of 2015 as an uncontracted player, hope he likes the idea of playing at St Kilda or Melbourne.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

What's this 'he misses Heath Shaw' crap? If one of your workmates leaves do you then look for another job?

Why was that even mentioned?

We simply must play hardball on this. If they can't do a deal that we are 100% satisfied with he stays. Simple as that. We can give him all the assistance that he needs to spend as much time north as possible.

Pick 4 is not a fair deal. End of story.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

1. Huge thanks to qldmagpie. In this time of uncertainty it is fantastic to get a bit of inside info. I hope teapot is feeling strong at the moment.

2. Pick 4 is no dice on its own. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Jack Watts, Matt Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy, Justin Koschitzke, Danny Roach, Beau Dowler, Xavier Ellis, Tom Scully will all tell you that a very high draft pick is NO GUARANTEE AT ALL. It's a lottery ticket. Beams is worth a lot more that a lottery ticket. He is one of the ten best players in the comp. What did Judd cost Carlton? What did Ablett cost GC? These are the best measures for what we should be asking.

3. A three way deal which gets us Danger is fine. A bird in the hand is worth a bird in the hand. I'd also happily take Rockliff as a straight swap. This won't happen as it won't advance Brisbane, and they are no doubt looking to take advantage of these circumstances. They ain't pulling our pants down and reaming us though.

4. I don't think we want Mayes. Not that he mightn't be a great player, but we are heading towards having an excess of talls. If we get Clark, and he along with Brown, Frost, Keeffe, Reid, Cloke, White, Witts and Grundy are all available, and we get Moore, we are going to end up with AFL quality players in the VFL and their trade currency will fall. No big deal if it's White, but if it's half our compensation for losing Beams then in the long run we are gonna lose out.

5. We are looking good going forward for talls, inside mids, outside mids and defenders IMO. Really good. We need a couple of balanced inside/outside mids (i.e. playmakers) to cover the loss of Beams and the upcoming losses of Swan and eventually Pendles.

6. Brisbane need to trade with GC to get their pick 7. Beams for picks 4 and 7. Or pick 4 and Aish. Or Rockliff. Or get $@&^#
they can smell what we're cookin'
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Defender wrote:

Nice choice Dayne!

He can't walk (I assume that's what you mean). Pick 4 only (even including a crappy fringe player) is what you would accept if Beam's was out of contract and has the threat of the PSD. If that's all we're going to get this year, we'll keep Beams for an extra year, allowing us to be competitive next year and our other mids to mature and do the whole dance again next year.

The PR would be disastrous for Brisbane after the go home 5 and then not being able to do a deal for a star like Beams that actually wants to go to them.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

jackcass wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
Defender wrote: We won't take pick 4 only, I'm thinking we'll want their second rounder 'or' a decent player as well, forget about pick 4 and one of their young guns, won't happen.

Quite the opposite actually. He's contracted to Collingwood for 2015 and doesn't qualify for FA until the end of 2016. So technically he could opt for the draft at the end of 2015 as an uncontracted player, hope he likes the idea of playing at St Kilda or Melbourne.
Or the Blooz - but I agree with your observation generally.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Thanks qldmagpiepie.

Like others I really appreciate your valuable contribution here. Great stuff.

I was wondering if you can now secure us pick 4 & Aish :wink:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Museman

Post by Museman »

I get an ugly feeling we will get P4 and an upgrade on our second rounder...