What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Kingswood wrote:cool runnings. great movie. i cried at the end.

Love that movie, always a favourite, and you can just keep watching it over, never gets boring!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Just watched Machete. Didn't get around to it the other day.

I'm officially in love with Michelle Rodriguez. Up against Jessica Alba and a naked Lindsay Lohan and she wins hands down. (not that the last two are in any way shabby)
Michelle and jessica both gorgeous, but Lindsay? your kidding right? shes a total train wreck!!
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Here's one for David; I saw Autoluminescent last night, the Richard Lowenstein-directed doco about former Birthday Party/These Immortal Souls guitarist Rowland S Howard.

It's overlong, and a bit bloated with its own self-importance; the first half in particular is slow, filled with lots of luminaries telling you how great he was. All true, but you knew that already, right? Not too many people are going to see this film without knowing who the man was and why he mattered. It maintains your interest largely thanks to Howard's outsized charisma (a dying man has never looked so beautiful) and the fact that the film's beautifully lit and shot.

The second half is much better and genuinely moving as it delves into the second phase of his life - his solo career, ill health and relationships. I'll probably blog about this, so I'll leave further description, but suffice to say it's worth seeing if you're interested in this stuff, and probably baffling to the uninitiated. :)

I've also got a piece coming out on Howard's masterpiece from 1999, Teenage Snuff Film, in a week or so.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
stui magpie
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:

I'm officially in love with Michelle Rodriguez. Up against Jessica Alba and a naked Lindsay Lohan and she wins hands down. (not that the last two are in any way shabby)
Michelle and jessica both gorgeous, but Lindsay? your kidding right? shes a total train wreck!!
I'd happily climb into that train wreck.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

ewww Stu!!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

ewww Stu!!

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Still love Michelle though.

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Big T »

Is it the eye patch?
Buon Giorno
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

If only she wore two eye patches.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

Pied Piper wrote:Here's one for David; I saw Autoluminescent last night, the Richard Lowenstein-directed doco about former Birthday Party/These Immortal Souls guitarist Rowland S Howard.

It's overlong, and a bit bloated with its own self-importance; the first half in particular is slow, filled with lots of luminaries telling you how great he was. All true, but you knew that already, right? Not too many people are going to see this film without knowing who the man was and why he mattered. It maintains your interest largely thanks to Howard's outsized charisma (a dying man has never looked so beautiful) and the fact that the film's beautifully lit and shot.

The second half is much better and genuinely moving as it delves into the second phase of his life - his solo career, ill health and relationships. I'll probably blog about this, so I'll leave further description, but suffice to say it's worth seeing if you're interested in this stuff, and probably baffling to the uninitiated. :)

I've also got a piece coming out on Howard's masterpiece from 1999, Teenage Snuff Film, in a week or so.
I saw the premiere at MIFF and had a similar impression. I love Howard's music, but I'm sick of talking heads in documentaries making predictable comments. I wish there was a better way of doing this kind of film. I agree though that it's really beautifully made. It frustrated me at times, but it was hard not to get slept away with the song played over the end credits (Autoluminescent).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
mandy

Post by mandy »

On my bi-weekly trip to JB today I bought 3 movies I've already seen but not for years and had to have them.

The Lion King
The Burbs
Bad Boy Bubby

There is something really wrong with me. :shock:
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

David wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:Here's one for David; I saw Autoluminescent last night, the Richard Lowenstein-directed doco about former Birthday Party/These Immortal Souls guitarist Rowland S Howard.

I saw the premiere at MIFF and had a similar impression. I love Howard's music, but I'm sick of talking heads in documentaries making predictable comments. I wish there was a better way of doing this kind of film. I agree though that it's really beautifully made. It frustrated me at times, but it was hard not to get slept away with the song played over the end credits (Autoluminescent).
I've now blogged more extensively about this in the link below.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:

Sounds like it would put me to sleep too. :wink:
think positive

Post by think positive »

/\ ditto!

Just bought the three pack of the Bourne identity series of movies. About to watch the first with hubby.

But I have to wait til he watches the end of.........ET!!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:/\ ditto!

Just bought the three pack of the Bourne identity series of movies. About to watch the first with hubby.

But I have to wait til he watches the end of.........ET!!
oh dear. i realised I was watching that and changed channels. Tolerated the o'reilly show on fox for about 10 then flicked over to Mythbusters.