What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

David wrote:I know my opinion might not count for much (what with my somewhat obscure tastes and all), but I thought The Hangover was rubbish.
Even with the educational message that shows you what could happen if you mix alcohol and drugs together? :P Haha just stirring.;)

I think that many will find it rubbish, I liked it, and found it funny and such, but I think it will only appeal to those that may like Superbad, and Knocked Up. Just what I think anyway.
think positive
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

i liked the first Hangover, the 2nd was just cheap humour IMO!

ive watched the 1st one twicw, still love it!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I've not seen the second one as yet, I am planning on re-watching Swiss Family Robinson.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

The Prototype wrote:
David wrote:I know my opinion might not count for much (what with my somewhat obscure tastes and all), but I thought The Hangover was rubbish.
Even with the educational message that shows you what could happen if you mix alcohol and drugs together? :P Haha just stirring.;)

I think that many will find it rubbish, I liked it, and found it funny and such, but I think it will only appeal to those that may like Superbad, and Knocked Up. Just what I think anyway.
Funnily enough, that's why I went to see it in the first place. It was certainly no cinematic masterpiece, but I enjoyed Superbad (and Knocked Up, to a lesser extent), and had heard favourable comparisons in reviews of The Hangover.

One of the main reasons why I like some of Judd Apatow's films is the fact that I always hated the moronic, unfunny humour of American comedies like Road Trip. Apatow's stuff struck me as more intelligent, unpredictable and actually kind of funny. I went along to The Hangover expecting something in the Superbad/Forgetting Sarah Marshall model, only to find that it was very much in the Road Trip/American Pie mould (the fact that it's directed by the guy who did Road Trip says it all). I found it really dumb, amateur and patronising.

What perplexed me is that the vast majority of people (including reputable film critics) seem to completely disagree with me. I guess I do have rather extreme tastes, but I have a fairly well functioning sense of humour. I'm not sure why The Hangover rubbed me the wrong way so much.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

David wrote:
The Prototype wrote:

Funnily enough, that's why I went to see it in the first place. It was certainly no cinematic masterpiece, but I enjoyed Superbad (and Knocked Up, to a lesser extent), and had heard favourable comparisons in reviews of The Hangover.

One of the main reasons why I like some of Judd Apatow's films is the fact that I always hated the moronic, unfunny humour of American comedies like Road Trip. Apatow's stuff struck me as more intelligent, unpredictable and actually kind of funny. I went along to The Hangover expecting something in the Superbad/Forgetting Sarah Marshall model, only to find that it was very much in the Road Trip/American Pie mould (the fact that it's directed by the guy who did Road Trip says it all). I found it really dumb, amateur and patronising.

What perplexed me is that the vast majority of people (including reputable film critics) seem to completely disagree with me. I guess I do have rather extreme tastes, but I have a fairly well functioning sense of humour. I'm not sure why The Hangover rubbed me the wrong way so much.
At least you don't think it started a war... :wink: :P
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

David wrote:Funnily enough, that's why I went to see it in the first place. It was certainly no cinematic masterpiece, but I enjoyed Superbad (and Knocked Up, to a lesser extent), and had heard favourable comparisons in reviews of The Hangover.

I can safely say it's not because of Disney, because it wasn't a Disney picture. ;)

I don't often listen to film critics, I have gone to movies they've given a poor review for and found them good... and their highly reviewed movies to be rubbish. But I can say I hate how it seems almost every movie now has a sequel. Having not seen The Hangover 2 I'm not yet able to comment but I didn't feel there needed to be a second one.

I suppose some movies just rub us the wrong way, and sometimes it could be for the smallest reasons, some movies have had that affect on me in the past.

Post by 3.14159 »

The Prototype wrote: I suppose some movies just rub us the wrong way, and sometimes it could be for the smallest reasons, some movies have had that affect on me in the past.
My brother in law dragged me out to see the Hang-over and all the way home all i could think was....
..."That's $17.00 and 2 hours of my life i'll never get back".
:cry:
Last edited by 3.14159 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

^ glad someone agrees with me! :P
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I thought the same when I watched G.I. Jane. & Contact.

Thankfully both were seen on Showtime, and not paid to see... otherwise there would have been lawsuits.
bwphantom

Post by bwphantom »

Agree with your opinion. This movie was real SHIT. And it somehow gets a follow up??

I turned the 1st one off after about 15 min.
All this may be summed up in one word - CHARACTER - and if that is not worth developing, nothing is.

Jock McHale
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

The French comedy Tais Tois is on late at night on SBS tonight. Featuring Gerard Depardieu & Jean Reno. A great vehicle for these two fabuluous actors to ham it up big time. Might not suit everyone but I thought it was lots of fun when I saw it a few years ago.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

Cheers WPT. Haven't seen it, but I like Depardieu. Might have to give it a look.

You going to any Malthouse plays in coming months?

Post by 3.14159 »

A French comedy with Depardieu.

Now there's original idea!
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

The Prototype wrote:Superbad
The best movie there is!
think positive
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

k, so just rewatched the running man, actually slept through most of it!

funny how you thought those movies were so good back when....

but i tell u wot, check out wild turkey honey whisky, OMG its awesome, but i think i need the drunk thread!!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!