Gun laws in USA??

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

You seem uncertain. I'm not sure if I am ready for that yet.
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:
Pi wrote:US presidents and mass shootings:

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publica ... -shootings

To match Obama's numbers Trump will need to get to about 118 by the end of his current term, my guess is 131 by November 2020. Perhaps we should run a poll on it and see who gets closest.
Imagine if Congress had passed a few of the gun control proposals before them during the Obama administration. Then, perhaps, Trump might have gotten to oversee a lower mass shooting rate.

https://www.bustle.com/p/24-gun-control ... ok-7589491
If congress actually passed any of those laws, the NRA would have them straight into court arguing 2nd amendment breach.

The only way forward is to either repeal or amend the 2nd amendment first, then introduce gun control measures.

While gun laws in the US are controlled by the states, same as Australia, and the majority of the states allow open carry of firearms, you're pushing shit uphill.

Think a cross between Sisyphus and a dung beetle......
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Shall not be infringed,
In the twenty-first century, the amendment has been subjected to renewed academic inquiry and judicial interest.[16] In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Supreme Court handed down a landmark decision that held the amendment protects an individual's right to keep a gun at home for self-defense.[17][18] This was the first time the Court had ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to own a gun.[19][20][18] In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court clarified that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporated the Second Amendment against state and local governments.[21] In Caetano v. Massachusetts (2016), the Supreme Court reiterated its earlier rulings that "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding" and that its protection is not limited to "only those weapons useful in warfare."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Am ... nstitution

Background checks are largely useless anyway as they'd only catch the 1%
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

No one is looking to takeaway their right to own "a" gun.

Their looking to takeaway their right to own guns that should never have been allowed in the hands of civilians in the first place.

Federal or State laws should be able to restrict the types of guns available for purchase as they see fit but what the United States really needs are enough brave politicians prepared to stand up to the lobby groups of weapons manufacturers and the NRA.

It would be good also if wealthy liberals were prepared to finance a lobby group in direct opposition of the NRA.

To me the basic point that should be rammed home every time is that no one needs a semi automatic pistol or rifle to protect themselves from an intruder or go hunting.

As awful as it is to admit the more frequent these mass shootings occur the better it might be as a tipping point must surely come at some stage.

Personally I think it should be a great national shame that Sandy Hook wasn't that moment already like Port Arthur was for us.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

To be clear, I'm not supporting the 2nd amendment right argument, just pointing out that it's existence makes it fkn hard. I don't think you can change the culture while it exists in it's current form.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

swoop42 wrote:No one is looking to takeaway their right to own "a" gun.

Their looking to takeaway their right to own guns that should never have been allowed in the hands of civilians in the first place.

Federal or State laws should be able to restrict the types of guns available for purchase as they see fit but what the United States really needs are enough brave politicians prepared to stand up to the lobby groups of weapons manufacturers and the NRA.

It would be good also if wealthy liberals were prepared to finance a lobby group in direct opposition of the NRA.

To me the basic point that should be rammed home every time is that no one needs a semi automatic pistol or rifle to protect themselves from an intruder or go hunting.

As awful as it is to admit the more frequent these mass shootings occur the better it might be as a tipping point must surely come at some stage.

Personally I think it should be a great national shame that Sandy Hook wasn't that moment already like Port Arthur was for us.
this apart form the more frequent mass shootings, i cant bring myself to say that.

We had just left Miami and we were on the road to Cocoa Beach when it came on the radio. That night I was on a treadmill at a gym and it was on every channel. I will never forget that moment.

someone needs to get brave, and do an anonymous poll, i reckon the results would be very surprising.

i wonder just how much it would take to run the Gun lobby out of there, surely a few blockbuster actors could do it.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

I think there's a deeper cultural problem at play here than just guns alone.

The idea that enacting strict gun laws will bring about signifiant change is naive.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

swoop42 wrote:To me the basic point that should be rammed home every time is that no one needs a semi automatic pistol or rifle to protect themselves from an intruder or go hunting.
From my understanding of the American psyche, most people don't own guns because it protects themselves from intruders or to go hunting, but rather its to protect themselves against any kind of government tyranny in the future.

Rightly or wrongly, that's the original basis of the 2nd Amendment and remains so to this day.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Jezza wrote:I think there's a deeper cultural problem at play here than just guns alone.

The idea that enacting strict gun laws will bring about signifiant change is naive.
bingo.

The USA is not Australia.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:I think there's a deeper cultural problem at play here than just guns alone.

bingo.

The USA is not Australia.
and a lot of it is poverty, poor access to health care, especially mental health care, and just the massive amount of people that really need some handouts, genuinely
Jezza

Post by Jezza »