Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

What do Nicksters think about the value of nabbing delisted Saint Riley Bonner as a backup defender? Is he worth a punt?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Pies4shaw »

Indeed, Perryman's move to us has netted GWS pick sixteen. The suggestion is that we had to offer six-year deal with a starting salary of around nine hundred-thousand dollars per year for their compensation to be that high.
jatsad
Been liked: 16 times

Post by jatsad »

^
I heard it was $850,000.
Hard to know what the AwFuL cook up in this compo formula.
Jatsad - That is all
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ These are a couple of examples of where the nine hundred-thousand has been mentioned:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/depart ... 33d2706647

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/10/02/ ... -is-being/

Maybe eight hundred and fifty is near enough for the AFL.
Presti35
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Presti35 »

warburton lad wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:57 amBrayden Fiorini (186cms and 82kgs) is better than: Bytel, Sullivan and Long and, yes, he could become a regular wingman for the Pies.
He is probably better than those mentioned, but a straight swap for Noble would disappoint me. If we cant get their pick 13, then their pick 22 should be the target. They also have pick 28. (I want players that will make us better, but I also want the Whitlock twins, who are predicted to go around pick 20)
warburton lad wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:57 amSimilarly, Curtis Taylor (188cms and 80kgs) is better than Bytel, Sullivan and Long and could play as a wingman/utility.
I saw his delisting and thought of this thread straight away. Lets look at his stats: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... aylor.html

His 2022 form looks ok, so what happened in the last 2 years? It's a worry that Clarko has dumped him.

As reported yesterday, there's plenty of players left in limbo. Including; Grainger-Barras (195cm Defender), Johannisen (bit old), Ben Paton, Jayden Davey, Jayden Davey, Alex Keith, Matt Owies, Olli Hotton, Ethan Phillips (197 defender), Connor O'Sullivan, Noah Cumberland amongst others. Our boys include Reef and Krueger. Any interest there for anyone? Or all too old or just not good enough?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 95 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I suspect you nailed it with your last sentence P35.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Pies2016 »

There’s plenty of stories of D F As finding a new home and filling the void perfectly at a new club. Markov is a premiership player and Ben Keays is a great story of redemption. The key to these guys isnt about being A graders but more about at least being better than what a club already has in that position.
As far as key defenders go, I would at least hope the club do their diligence on key defenders like Alex Keath, Granger -Barrass, Phillips and potentially Tomlinson. If the club could be convinced one of those ( or others ) can do a better job than either Frampton, Eyre or Dean as a key defender, then surely you would add one onto the list.
You don’t declare you’re going all in on another flag tilt without adding more ready made players onto the list. Right now it looks like Noble and Richards ( ? ) out and only Perryman, in. You can guarantee we will be adding more ready made players into the list before this trade period is over.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
SLORT
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by SLORT »

i assume Elliott will retire at the end of next season. If Richards goes I wonder who will be a ready replacement for him?
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 91 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

@Pies2016 I think thats the key
You need to add players who fill a void and they don’t have to be recognised A graders
Sometimes a coach sees something another coach doesn’t be it a change in roles or a characteristic they admire
I think after the trade period ends we might find 1 or 2 players in that experience range of 50-100 games
Obviously a lock down dire defender like Murphy would be a priority or a very good intercept mark to replace Howe going forward
Peatling choosing crows surprised me I thought adding Perryman might help but apparently he was the complete opposite
He thought our midfield depth was too deep and he might struggle to get more game time as he wanted
Crows suit him that way I guess
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Pies4shaw wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:42 pm ^ These are a couple of examples of where the nine hundred-thousand has been mentioned:

Maybe eight hundred and fifty is near enough for the AFL.
I doubt any of them have been told how much he is getting, even if they were close, they would have NFI if it's base or earning potential. Bonuses ie.. Best and fairest finish, Grand Final win etc
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

warburton lad wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:42 pmLet's at least consider the possibility of offering Brayden Preuss 29 year old ruckman-
Melbourne have gone down this path and signed Tom Campbell.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

lazzadesilva wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:27 pm What do Nicksters think about the value of nabbing delisted Saint Riley Bonner as a backup defender? Is he worth a punt?
190cm defender thats been delisted by 2 clubs now; Port in 2023 after 93 games, and StK this year after 19 games.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... onner.html

He played almost every game this year, whats his issue?? He is the same height as Howe, but is he a better option than Dean who is 5cm taller and 4 years younger?
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 91 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I always thought a pick in the 20’s was about right for Noble considering he’s contracted meaning you have to pay some overs to get your man
If we can land #22 then that’s fair and helps our draft hand a little
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:44 pm I doubt any of them have been told how much he is getting, even if they were close, they would have NFI if it's base or earning potential. Bonuses ie.. Best and fairest finish, Grand Final win etc
They certainly knew enough about the way the AFL calculations work to speculate in advance that he'd need a 6 year deal at the particular starting salary for GWS to get band one compensation - which they did. I don't expect they've been told outright what he is being paid but there were enough offers floating about - including a further contract offer on the table at GWS - for them to have a sound idea.
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
Doesn't mean we shouldn't push hard for their pick 12, even if we throw in our future 3rd round pick or something similar. If they want Noble, we don't start with what's fair, we start ambit and work back. We could choose to keep him, so they have to pay up if they want him.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.