DNA tests and family connections

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote:^
How was it meeting his missus and your grandlkids? Did they tell the kids who you are?
All went well, they are old enough to understand and have been in the loop. They were/are pretty excited as they have more relatives and the difficult part is what do they call me. I said I have never been big on GrandPa or Pa. So call me Pop, Poppy, or Dale, whatever you're comfortable with. They love their new Cousins and dote over them as they are younger. Early days, everyone seems excited and seems to be adjusting.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

That’s awesome xx
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Great stuff.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Strange times, I am hearing from my new family more than my family. :lol: It's like being given a second chance to fix all the screw-ups I did the first time around.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

An update, all has been going great and we are in the process of adding my name to his Birth Certificate. We have the evidence so it's a simple process. Now inheritance won't be an issue as I am spending that.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

:lol: You're officially a SKI? Spending Kids Inheritance. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

We've had a couple of incidents with Ancestry.com dna tests. Firstly my missus was adopted and once her results were public on their website, a couple of blood relatives p.m.ed her wanting to know where she fit in. All good as the immediate blood relatives knew of her existence so the skeleton in the closet wasn't too bad.

I had a p.m. after my test from a woman trying to locate her father. She claimed it was a possible uncle of mine but upon closer checking she was the adoptive daughter of a cousin of mine that relinquished her in 1969. We had a few emails but I can't let on to the cousin or her family. We've had no luck tracing her natural father unfortunately without the cousins' assistance.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:We've had a couple of incidents with Ancestry.com dna tests. Firstly my missus was adopted and once her results were public on their website, a couple of blood relatives p.m.ed her wanting to know where she fit in. All good as the immediate blood relatives knew of her existence so the skeleton in the closet wasn't too bad.

I had a p.m. after my test from a woman trying to locate her father. She claimed it was a possible uncle of mine but upon closer checking she was the adoptive daughter of a cousin of mine that relinquished her in 1969. We had a few emails but I can't let on to the cousin or her family. We've had no luck tracing her natural father unfortunately without the cousins' assistance.
That's a lot to take in as well. Yes, some people want nothing to do with these results.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

Seems you've had a perfect result.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

It's an eyeopener and you wonder where the 1% comes from. Which company did you use David?
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Haha nice. I've been more curious living here and having ancestors from Yorkshire. And reading about the layers of migration to the UK over time, from the Celtic tribes, Romans, Angles and Saxons, and Belgic tribes, to the Danelaw period (Viking rule) centred on Yorkshire, and then the Normans, it could be any old combination.

Interestingly, the Normans themselves were a mix of French and Danish, with the Vikings central to Norman success, and the Normans then going on to rule England.

It's quite amazing how much impact the wild Norseman have had on history in these parts.

Mum's paternal side is Irish, there's a Jewish great grandmother, and every hair colour you care to name.

So, the real mix is a curious business. Then again, it might be very boring. But it's a great personal anthropology project, I reckon.

What's the privacy around the test? Will your DNA sequence end up in ChatGPT responses and vaccines? :P
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

I have an Aunty we never knew of until recently who reached out my to my Uncle. So my dad and my uncle had a half-sister they never knew for 70 years. seems my grandfather got busy in Australia off the boat before he married.

Dad passed years ago, but my uncle showed photos and she looks my dad so much. my uncle is the last one alive in my dads family, its a bit sad she never got to meet her father or other brother (dad)
Haven't met her yet, I would get a bit emotional I reckon

All this would never have been possible without the ancestry database
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote: Interesting. I used Ancestry .com. My results are:

Ireland 34%
Scotland 30%
England and Northwestern Europe 26% (that includes England, Belgium, France, Germany, Isle of man, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland and Wales)
Sweden & Denmark 6%
Norway 4%
That's about the ancestry you'd guess for a white fella Down Under. The diversity of white ancestry is greatly underrated, as implied above in my post above on the waves of UK immgiration. More needs to be made of that diverse history so people can better grasp that 'white' is not narrowly 'racial'.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm