What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

David wrote:^ I’m going to a cinema for the first time tomorrow night! Not sure what I’ll see yet, but can’t wait. :)
Dendy? :lol:
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

You jest, but that was literally the name of the arthouse cinema in Canberra in my late teens. Probably the most erotic experience available to Canberrans too, now I think about it.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Insomnia.

I’ve never watched it before, I picked it up at the op shop and decided to watch it. It was an interesting movie.

Most recent film I watched was Tenet, another Christopher Nolan movie. It was certainly interesting and makes you think a bit. Best go watch a couple of times I think.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

The 23 year saw Tenet at the cinema last week. Said the same - interesting and you had to think but he and his mates enjoyed it.

Watched The Peanut Butter Falcon on the weekend. Very good and cast were great.

Also watched Holidate on Netflix. An abridged 2020 version of When Harry Met Sally. Enjoyable, if a bit predicable.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

The Prototype wrote:Insomnia.

I’ve never watched it before, I picked it up at the op shop and decided to watch it. It was an interesting movie.

Most recent film I watched was Tenet, another Christopher Nolan movie. It was certainly interesting and makes you think a bit. Best go watch a couple of times I think.
Insomnia is not bad. great cast.

as an aside, We arrived in Anchorage, Alaska, on the 11pm train and got to the hotel around 11.30pm. it was still broad daylight!! the curtains are about an inch thick!! its pretty strange!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

think positive wrote:...We arrived in Anchorage, Alaska, on the 11pm train and got to the hotel around 11.30pm. it was still broad daylight!! the curtains are about an inch thick!! its pretty strange!!!
Anchored down in Anchorage eh? :)
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
David

Post by David »

Just saw Happiest Season, a Christmas-themed romantic comedy about a lesbian couple who spend the holiday period with one of the pair’s wealthy, conservative parents, from whom they have to hide their relationship. Thought it was quite good in parts, and Kristen Stewart (who was honestly the only reason I decided to watch it in the first place) was really good in the main role, while the always-excellent Aubrey Plaza also showed up in a small supporting role. I was kind of down with it for the most part, but unfortunately the ending rang a bit false.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Sounds like a good film but has received very average reviews.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

Covid to hasten the death of cinemas.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainm ... b0ab5f3bb1
On Friday, a story broke in the US which is sure to unleash seismic ramifications for the future of how the entire world consumes their movies.

One of the oldest and largest Hollywood studios, Warner Bros. Pictures, announced a radical new release strategy for the 20-plus movies it will be pushing out in the coming year.

In America, every single one of these big-budget productions will be released to both a home streaming service and cinemas at the same time.

The Warners’ 2021 release slate include a number of titles which would have been guaranteed hits at the global box-office : Wonder Woman 1984, Dune, The Matrix 4, and Baz Luhrmann’s new Elvis movie filmed here in Australia.

Though Warners is saying this is a temporary measure to accommodate American audiences who may prefer to stay at home as COVID-19 remains in play, things will never be the same again for ‘bricks and mortar’ cinemas everywhere.

Some locations will be forced to close, unable to compete with the streaming services.

If a number of other Hollywood studios follow suit - and there is mounting speculation that at least one of them is already certain to do so - then this shift by Warner Bros. will trigger the most sweeping changes to the movie business since the advent of ‘talking pictures’ in the 1920s.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Downsizewith matt Damon is on Go, very strange, like land of the lost on steroids. Very very strange
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:Covid to hasten the death of cinemas.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainm ... b0ab5f3bb1
On Friday, a story broke in the US which is sure to unleash seismic ramifications for the future of how the entire world consumes their movies.

One of the oldest and largest Hollywood studios, Warner Bros. Pictures, announced a radical new release strategy for the 20-plus movies it will be pushing out in the coming year.

In America, every single one of these big-budget productions will be released to both a home streaming service and cinemas at the same time.

The Warners’ 2021 release slate include a number of titles which would have been guaranteed hits at the global box-office : Wonder Woman 1984, Dune, The Matrix 4, and Baz Luhrmann’s new Elvis movie filmed here in Australia.

Though Warners is saying this is a temporary measure to accommodate American audiences who may prefer to stay at home as COVID-19 remains in play, things will never be the same again for ‘bricks and mortar’ cinemas everywhere.

Some locations will be forced to close, unable to compete with the streaming services.

If a number of other Hollywood studios follow suit - and there is mounting speculation that at least one of them is already certain to do so - then this shift by Warner Bros. will trigger the most sweeping changes to the movie business since the advent of ‘talking pictures’ in the 1920s.
It's terrible news. Hoping that cinemas can stay afloat in the difficult months to come and that the situation isn't terminal.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^
Maybe but I doubt it.

With the quality of most tv's and home sound systems, the main reason many people go to cinemas id because new release movies are there first, months before they're available on DVD or streaming.

Allowing streaming of new releases when first released is similar to the AFL and other sports allowing live telecasts against the gate. People will still go to cinemas but many more will choose to stay home at a fraction of the cost and inconvenience and many cinema's will close. As they should IMO, they're an anachronism harking back to a different time and surviving because of anti competitive studio deals.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

The Lighthouse.

The first half was engaging but it eventually devolved into a pile of nonsense.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Personally I left the house lots, cinemas wouldn't be in the top 50 of things I missed.

The current studio deals that artificially prop up cinemas were at least partially responsible for so much video piracy online. People wanted to watch the latest new release but didn't want to go to a cinema and didn't want to wait til it eventually came out on DVD so they'd download and watch some very average quality stuff.

Yeah some people enjoy the whole experience of going to the cinema, I don't. The sooner new releases are available to stream while still in cinemas the better