#9 John Noble - requests a trade

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

E

Re: John Noble - Best 22?

Post by E »

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
E wrote:I think its time to ask the question. I think he has developed into a classic modern day line breaking half back.

His skillset is

1. speed
2. accurate and precise disposal under pressure
3. one on one master when the ball is on the ground
4. effort
5. dedication
6. work ethic
7. Rarely makes mistakes in a position where every blunder results in a goal.

His weakness is overhead against taller opponents but fortunately, that rarely matters these days. Especially with Moore and Howe in the side to help him out.

Its so good that he got a two year extension so that this year isn't make or break for him.

He deserves it!
He's borderline, but I would heavily dispute points 2 and 7. I like that he's willing to take risks, but lets not act that it comes without cost.
DSU, i appreciate that we have banged on for two years now about his disposal and his mistakes. Unfortunately, he like Maynard and Howe, play in a position where every mistake seems to result in a goal against and so his errors are magnified.

For no particular reason, i have been watching Noble closely and having done that i have discovered that he is indeed an excellent disposer of the ball by foot to a short option (almost elite). He also makes fewer mistakes than we give him credit for. He is fairly reliable. what happens to certain professionals (and i include Adams in this analysis), is that they learn what limitations they have and they play inside of those limitations. It is what the really good players do. Of course, the stars dont have any limitations so look good in all facets of the game and we know Noble aint that guy!

By comparison, IQ, who is a future AA IMO and has fairly a fairly limitless skillset, showed unclean hands at least 4 times today that resulted in turnovers and goals. I don't say that to criticize IQ, just to show how hard it is in that part of the field. You can be flawlesws for most of the game but those few turnovers are costly.

The only time Noble looked outclassed was again overhead when he was forced to take on a much taller opponent, who marked like he wasn't there.

I would encourage you to go and watch the tape of the first three rounds. i'm sure you will find it quite suprising.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Under rated, tries his guts out, it’s because he’s not particularly tall that he gets beaten sometimes, agree he’s expected to play far taller than he is

Love his effort,
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Has been good, lowered his colours last night.
Get back on top.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pressure and pressing us to the boundary. We handled it well and found the corridor and space previous two weeks, but Geelong crowded us at the boundary and forced errors. A few of us kicked out of bounds.,
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Pressure and pressing us to the boundary. We handled it well and found the corridor and space previous two weeks, but Geelong crowded us at the boundary and forced errors. A few of us kicked out of bounds.,
Yeah I agree. They plonked all their guys in the corridor and we had the outriders, and often failed to switch to use them. As we get better and more experienced we will learn to change from the default tactics occasionally. Over the course of the game we became a little too predictable.
Get back on top.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Absolutely, we fell into old habits. Take a while to relearn new ones
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

This post is looking a little dated now after his game last night.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

inxs88 wrote:This post is looking a little dated now after his game last night.
Only if you judge the moment and not the journey.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Post by E »

inxs88 wrote:This post is looking a little dated now after his game last night.
he was terrific during the first three quarters when we actually played.

<Snip - please lay off the personal comments. They are unnecessary and annoy other posters (and, of course, us). Thanks. BBMods>
E

Post by E »

Cam wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Pressure and pressing us to the boundary. We handled it well and found the corridor and space previous two weeks, but Geelong crowded us at the boundary and forced errors. A few of us kicked out of bounds.,
Yeah I agree. They plonked all their guys in the corridor and we had the outriders, and often failed to switch to use them. As we get better and more experienced we will learn to change from the default tactics occasionally. Over the course of the game we became a little too predictable.
our new aggressive game plan will lead to many a night when we get beaten badly. its high risk high reward. We hated Nathan's gameplan, but we rarely got flogged and we rarely got beaten out the back. We also couldnt kick goals. You gotta pick your poison......
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Several forced changes for round 5 and he's still been omitted. Does that mean he isn't (at least this week) "best 22"? Or is it better to say he's still "best 26" (because he is named as an emergency)? And what if there is a late withdrawal and he comes back into the final side - will that make him "best 22" again? These are all important existential matters. :lol:
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

I'm not a huge fan, but I don't get dropping him this week when his replacement is Roughead.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It was always going to get a bump one way or the other
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

50 games today for Johnny. While many continue to question his worth to the team he racks up the games, onwards to 100.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

BTW 7 kicks by half time for 3 score involvements.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.