Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

qldmagpie67 wrote:He's been told his getting #8
Langdon's getting a new number :?
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Jezza wrote:
piedys wrote:What was the original duration of his contract with Brisbane - 5 years?
Beams was contracted until the end of 2020.

He signed a six-year deal when he was traded in 2014.
Cheers bro, you da man! :o
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

As for the "bust up" with Bucks it wasn't as bad as some may think
Buckley at that point in his coaching career wasn't the same Buckley the coach now
He's now a more understanding individual
Dayne wasn't a choir boy either he hang around Swanny and some of the lads like heater and Buckley didn't like it much
Dayne made some errors in judgement along the way which didn't endear him to his coach but also they weren't life threatening nor did they impact his football
His biggest error was not attending the last copeland
He took some very poor advice at the time from a person at the club he believed had his best interests at heart and basically said to him if you come to the copeland and it turns into a scene with you and supporters you can kiss any chance of a trade to Brisbane away
He didn't attend and that left a bad taste in many people's mouths
Sidey arranged the meeting with Dayne and bucks. It was more of a sit down and speak about life and lessons learned than than burying a hatchet
Bucks admitted he could have handled things better and Dayne also admitted he also made errors
I'm informed that the meeting wasn't just about clearing the air but it gave bucks a chance to speak to Dayne and see how he was handling the passing of his father.
We all grow as people over time sometimes it takes people longer than others
Bucks journey as a coach has taken time and him himself has admitted he had to change
i can understand if some people see things differently that's fine I can't tell people how to feel it's a personal thing
I hope his form delivers in spades for the club because at his best he's going to add another dimension to our team that I'm sure of
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

K wrote:^ I wonder whether the video is available online. It was discussed here at the time. (There is a thread.)
https://youtu.be/HHZO0bFAE_k?t=787
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Jezza wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:He's been told his getting #8
Langdon's getting a new number :?
Yes #299
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Jezza wrote:Would love to see him get #17 for nostalgic purposes, ...
Oh, no; don't you get overly sentimental, too. It's contagious.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

K wrote:
Jezza wrote:Would love to see him get #17 for nostalgic purposes, ...
Oh, no; don't you get overly sentimental, too. It's contagious.
I can't help it :oops:
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I don't know if people realise or not but his father attended all home games at the lions sat in the same seats watching his sons play together
That joy was one he took to his grave
Dayne has said publicly running out at the Gabba each home game is very hard because he looks to where his father used to sit and it reminds him each time his not around any longer

Well it's a done deal now we've added 25-30 tocuhes a game and a goal a game to our already stunning midfield
Many thanks for posting qldmagpie. It's good to get the low down from someone who probably knows the situation better than any of us here (or the Brisbane fans who are presently slagging him big time!!).

As I mentioned above, he explained a few months back on Fox Footy why emotionally it was not easy to play at the Gabba, so that's obviously something he's been trying to deal with all year while playing for the Lions.

Just viewed a Collingwood highlights package and he really is a player of huge quality. If he can sustain the 25 touches and a goal a game next year, it sure will make it hard for opposing teams when they play the Pies!! I didn't feel sad about missing out on Tom Lynch at all while watching that highlights package :lol:
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Instead of complaining some should be grateful for the three factors that have allowed us the freedom to trade for Beams with a trade cost that is effectively our 2019 1st round selection. Without them I doubt Beams would be a Collingwood player tonight.

Factor 1. A successful season that meant our 1st round selection didn't fall to pick 18.
Factor 2. An academy prospect we seemingly value around this mark.
Factor 3. A bidding system that allows you to bundle lower grade draft selections to pay for a higher end talent.

These factors have enabled us to trade pick 18 away as part of the deal for Beams and see picks 41/44 received that will go the majority of the way to covering the cost of Quaynor. People will argue that a bid for Quaynor may not have come prior to pick 18 and it could have been a live selection. This is true but I'd argue we rate his worth at pick 18 and are very comfortable taking him with our first selection in this draft.

Another reason to be comfortable with our decision to trade for Beams is the availability of father son prospect Will Kelly who is expected to attract a 2nd round bid. While I expect us to fall into some deficit matching a bid for Kelly being able to acquire a key position talent in this range using the points remaining from our 3rd round selection/s and without actually possessing a 2018 2nd round pick isn't such a bad result.

For me it's bulltish any notion we have sold away our future for a soon to be 29yo midfielder and we have struck a great balance between maximising our Premiership potential next year all the while acquiring two players we would have taken if we headed to the draft with the same hand to play when the trade period commenced.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

qldmagpie67, can you give any comments on how you think Dayne and Bucks will get along the second time around?
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
watt price tully wrote:No 11. For two first round picks.
Hey guys Tully and Pies4Shaw are doing a double act

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg
I prefer this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9s8U0O0XPE
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I hope I'm not keeping you from something.
E

Post by E »

swoop42 wrote:Instead of complaining some should be grateful for the three factors that have allowed us the freedom to trade for Beams with a trade cost that is effectively our 2019 1st round selection. Without them I doubt Beams would be a Collingwood player tonight.

Factor 1. A successful season that meant our 1st round selection didn't fall to pick 18.
Factor 2. An academy prospect we seemingly value around this mark.
Factor 3. A bidding system that allows you to bundle lower grade draft selections to pay for a higher end talent.

These factors have enabled us to trade pick 18 away as part of the deal for Beams and see picks 41/44 received that will go the majority of the way to covering the cost of Quaynor. People will argue that a bid for Quaynor may not have come prior to pick 18 and it could have been a live selection. This is true but I'd argue we rate his worth at pick 18 and are very comfortable taking him with our first selection in this draft.

Another reason to be comfortable with our decision to trade for Beams is the availability of father son prospect Will Kelly who is expected to attract a 2nd round bid. While I expect us to fall into some deficit matching a bid for Kelly being able to acquire a key position talent in this range using the points remaining from our 3rd round selection/s and without actually possessing a 2018 2nd round pick isn't such a bad result.

For me it's bulltish any notion we have sold away our future for a soon to be 29yo midfielder and we have struck a great balance between maximising our Premiership potential next year all the while acquiring two players we would have taken if we headed to the draft with the same hand to play when the trade period commenced.
The other point is that people need to understand that Quaynor's likely position in the draft would likely have been different if we had a live pick 18. It will shock come people but other teams dont like to see other teams succeed in their strategies. Even though Quaynor might now drop below 18, i think you could take it to the bank that our rivals for the flag next year picking with 15, 16 and 17 would almost certainly have put in a defensive bid for Quaynor knowing that we would take it.

I think that where we are in our window and where beams is in his career line up perfectly.

Beams is an out and out gun player (a top 10 in the league midfield talent).

No way Aish, Greenwood, Thomas or Varcoe get a game ahead of him (and they all played in our best 22 on GF day). So we made ourselves better.

And a final thought. Our first round pick in 2019 is going to be like foregoing drafting a Fasolo type player in 2011. If lucky, we'll would have gotten a solid player during the rebuild phase of our club.

We have to be in the business of winning flags. The next three years are the prime years. We should do everything we can to get best 22 calibre players during this window (and foregoing a potential good but unlikely transformative player who wont contribute until Season 2022 - realistically - is in my mind only a tiny cost).