#9 John Noble - requests a trade

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Opposition tactic - kick it around the middle of the ground until we are all too far back to make an effective counter attack from a turnover.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Another excellent game from John tonight. Just love his dash, love his effort, love his determination. He has plenty of key attributes that we need to maximise.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Great effort with ~3min left in Q1. Stuck one on one with Lycett near the goal square, he made a great save.

<Snip. Let's try to avoid the off-topic comments. Thanks, BBMods>
E

John Noble is Best 22. Congrats on 50 great games!!

Post by E »

I think its time to ask the question. I think he has developed into a classic modern day line breaking half back.

His skillset is

1. speed
2. accurate and precise disposal under pressure
3. one on one master when the ball is on the ground
4. effort
5. dedication
6. work ethic
7. Rarely makes mistakes in a position where every blunder results in a goal.

His weakness is overhead against taller opponents but fortunately, that rarely matters these days. Especially with Moore and Howe in the side to help him out.

Its so good that he got a two year extension so that this year isn't make or break for him.

He deserves it!
Last edited by E on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by #26 »

I've always liked his work ethic. He always seems to be trying his guts out even when we can't win. Plus he's a running machine who covers more ground than most. Our new quick game plan should really suit him..
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

In the 22 for me. I really like his speed and how he takes the game on.
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

Confidence!!!

Once he loses the bux “safe” option and gets more confidence and goes forward as first option!!

Same for brown boys, attack!!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Based on current form and gut running from half back with Pendles, he is top 22 without a doubt. Agree that confidence plays a huge role and the more he is seen as a contributing senior player, the better he’ll get. Go ‘Pies!
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

Workhorse and categorically current best 22.

Though I do read between the lines of the intention of the OP - a Yang to a ying brought over from other threads - however it’s probably justified in nobles case.

He needs credit for what he’s achieved. He’s no polished star but he’s solid, and getting pretty consistent. A lot to like.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.
Been liked: 2 times

Re: John Noble - Best 22?

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

E wrote:I think its time to ask the question. I think he has developed into a classic modern day line breaking half back.

His skillset is

1. speed
2. accurate and precise disposal under pressure
3. one on one master when the ball is on the ground
4. effort
5. dedication
6. work ethic
7. Rarely makes mistakes in a position where every blunder results in a goal.

His weakness is overhead against taller opponents but fortunately, that rarely matters these days. Especially with Moore and Howe in the side to help him out.

Its so good that he got a two year extension so that this year isn't make or break for him.

He deserves it!
He's borderline, but I would heavily dispute points 2 and 7. I like that he's willing to take risks, but lets not act that it comes without cost.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I’ve currently got him as interchange in our best 22, so by definition, he’s made the cut. I’m not sure whether he’s actually improved on last year or whether the new coach has just utilised his capabilities and strengths a bit better.
I’ve always felt the key to Noble is to put him on an opponent who won’t out body him in the contest. It’s hard to identify if that’s happening or not but he certainly hasn’t been exposed anywhere near as often this year as compared to his previous years. It’s a credit to him and it’s also a credit to the coaching staff ( and not a bad get from Derek Hine either, considering the selection pathway )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ He was actually good one on one a couple of times last week. I commented on it, specifically, because I don't recall him ever winning a one-on-one contest before that. I feel that he's improved this year - but the improvement is off a very low base. Of course, it might be that, as you say, the Coach is using him better.

After Callum Brown was BOG by a mile in the VFL last week, I spent all week terrified that he would be selected to play as a defensive forward in place of McReery. I like Callum as a player - but he is plainly a centreman, not a HFF or FP. It looks, though, like the Coach does have a reasonable grasp of how players can and can't be used - and, more specifically, what not to do if you don't want to ruin their careers.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I think the correct answer is whether he plays or doesn't play depends on the structure of the team and the quality of the opposition. You can have too many short players in the team so you have to mix it up between players like Noble, Bianco, Callum Brown and Murley who are different from each other, but you can't play them all.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

He’s been terrific this year, particularly kicking efficiency and disposal. Playing more outside run, the attacking style suits him. We’ll see how he goes tonight if it becomes a defensive slog/ pile on due to the weather.
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Definitely with him and IQ will allow us to push crisp and Maynard into the midfield.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.