#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I see that Rome is burning.

Collingwood is performing dismally on the field, our administration appears to be in such turmoil that the football manager we headhunted 2 years ago to stem the decline is on the way out, there is a massive cloud over the would-be replacement football manager and with the trade and draft period rapidly approaching it is unclear whether we have a Recruiting Manager.

In those circumstances, it is obvious that the first item for discussion should be whether Sidebottom is "elite" or just "very good".
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

thompsoc wrote:Look there is one aspect that people overlook about Steele.
He has the best tank going around.
One minute he is on the forward flank
and the next minute he is gathering a loose ball
on the last line of defence.
Wayne Carey always calls Steele as elite.
I call him a flawed elite player because of those kicks and a few
other issues.
But I still reckon he is elite.
I think I tend to agree with you here. Those dinky little kicks,often giving up the ball make him flawed,also,I noticed watching Sundays game ,that just about every stuff up from other players,Brown Williams etc,kicking across goal,was to Sidey?? Maybe the players see him as elite and go to him regardless. Definitely NOT over rated in my book though,even with his faults.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:I see that Rome is burning.

Collingwood is performing dismally on the field, our administration appears to be in such turmoil that the football manager we headhunted 2 years ago to stem the decline is on the way out, there is a massive cloud over the would-be replacement football manager and with the trade and draft period rapidly approaching it is unclear whether we have a Recruiting Manager.

In those circumstances, it is obvious that the first item for discussion should be whether Sidebottom is "elite" or just "very good".
P4S I think you've missed the point
The point was who's going to put the beer ice ?
Seriously who ?
This isn't a joking matter mate
By the way Rome isn't burning it's just smouldering at the moment but let's fan it some and start roasting marshmallows
BBHS
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BBHS »

Sidey is a absolute gun. He has one flaw. Electing to kick short to difficult positions. Other than just a gun player who never stops.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Underrated.
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Its all relative to your expectations. At the end of the day he was taken at pick 10 and one of the youngest players in that draft. Who else was available at that time after pick 10?
Shuey
Ballantyne
Shiels
Hanneberry
Motlop
Roughead
Beams
Sloane (pick 44)

Some quality players came after him but overall he was a very sound selection. He is also very durable having played the second most games out of his draft year..
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

thompsoc wrote:Look there is one aspect that people overlook about Steele.
He has the best tank going around.
One minute he is on the forward flank
and the next minute he is gathering a loose ball
on the last line of defence.
Wayne Carey always calls Steele as elite.
I call him a flawed elite player because of those kicks and a few
other issues.
But I still reckon he is elite.
I agree 100%. Like all players he has his weaknesses and they are glaringly obvious when they occur. The positives he brings to the table are not as clearly defined or obvious but he certainly A grade bordering on elite.

If the team is unified with all the mainstream player are on field, there will be less pressure on the individuals and we should see fewer kicking mistakes being made under pressure.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by derkd »

All I will say Dave is look at the gapping hole he leaves when he is not playing!!!.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

BBHS wrote:Sidey is a absolute gun. He has one flaw. Electing to kick short to difficult positions. Other than just a gun player who never stops.
Yep, he was a terrier against the Whoreks last sunday.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I think he's very much underrated. Yes, those dinky sideways kicks that fall short annoy me too but his good stuff is so far above many others.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

and still only 25. Just hitting into his peak
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
neil
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by neil »

WTF overrated?
Sidey is one of our best players
His endurance is a asset so why put him in the forward pocket? Fasolo Elliot Blair Broomhead are the alternatives

The dinky sideways kicks come off most of the time when they dont half the time the player on the receiving end looks surprised that the ball is coming towards them.
Remember Hawthorn is a team filled with players that continually make "dinky little sideways kicks" but that side has elite footskills
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Frustrating at times Yes.
Overrated No.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I owe Sidey an apology. It's been brought to my attention by a friend that it's not his fault
You see it's a genetic condition
His brother Ryan the cricketer had the same affliction
It's called inconsistentitis
Yes a tragic disease which makes you unable to play at a consistent high level
It allows you to have a good day or patch in a game but then you go back to being ordinary just as quickly.
Poor Sidey lets hope the club can find a cure for this in the off season
There's talk the best known cure (although not a permanent cure) is either a change of scenery or being chained to a moving truck and dragged to Bourke and back
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

He's actually underrated, otherwise a thread like this would not have been made.
Well done boys!