What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:Went to the Melbourne Cinematheque last night & saw part of the Robert Altman festival - 2 films:

McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971) with Warren Beatty & Julie Christie followed by 3 Women (1977) with Sissy Spacek & Shelly Duvall - both about 2 hours.

The first one was great & I'm not sure about the second one. I'm still affected by that. Powerful boring, fascinating and disturbing. I'm still feeling quite uneasy about it - nearly walked out 1/2 way through but I think I'm glad I stayed. Wow. Parts of the second film reminded (me of) the signature below!!!
Both are really good films. McCabe & Mrs Miller is one of the few westerns I've seen that I enjoyed. 3 Women is great but I'm not sure I could sit through it again. Really unsettling film.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I'm still a bit upset from that film (3 women) - not sure if I got symptoms of PTSD from watching that or watching the Saints game at the G last week.

You were right, great Leonard Cohen soundtrack to McCabe & Mrs Miller.

2 minute trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2BSHp9oYD0
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

You two need to fire up a bit more, become Nick's resident David and Margaret. I'll let you fight over who gets to be Margaret.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Wokko wrote:You two need to fire up a bit more, become Nick's resident David and Margaret. I'll let you fight over who gets to be Margaret.

:lol: :lol:

I'm partial to David Stratton as I share his views on the overuse of hand held cameras :wink:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Van Diemen's Land.

Van Diemen's Land is a thriller that was set in 1822 in colonial Tasmania. The movies follows Irish convict Alexander Pearce and his escape with seven other convicts. A bit of the plot is below, enough to not spoil the movie, it was not a bad movie.

"A group of transported convicts, suffering brutal treatment at the Sarah Island penal settlement on Van Diemens Land, escape into the Tasmanian wilderness in hopes of reaching the settlements to the east.

Their enthusiasm and bravado soon give way to hunger, which saps their strength and causes them to despair. Former urban dwellers, the English, Irish and Scottish convicts realise that not only are they lost, but they do not even know how to hunt or fish.

The oppressive nature of landscape becomes the setting for murder, as hunger forces the group to turn to cannibalism, killing and eating the members of the group one by one. The men do all in their power to keep moving, watch their back and avoid sleep, lest they be the next meal."
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

This sounds like a pretty realistic depiction of Tasmania. Are you sure it was 1822 though and not 2016? ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Oh man finally got around to watching Creed, probably a good thing I didn't see it at the movies! Cheering like I'm at a grand final and sobbing like the god died probably not a good look, awesome movie, loved it!

And in about 80 days I'll be running up those steps!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:You two need to fire up a bit more, become Nick's resident David and Margaret. I'll let you fight over who gets to be Margaret.

:lol: :lol:

I'm partial to David Stratton as I share his views on the overuse of hand held cameras :wink:
That's a relief.

The hormone theraphy and vagina transplant David has had can now be of some use.

I picture Tannin and Pies4shaw as the critics from the muppets.
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

think positive wrote:Oh man finally got around to watching Creed, probably a good thing I didn't see it at the movies! Cheering like I'm at a grand final and sobbing like the god died probably not a good look, awesome movie, loved it!

And in about 80 days I'll be running up those steps!
Just caught Creed last night myself.
Didn't expect much but pleasantly surprised!
They lost me with Rocky V & VI, terrible movies, but they've really re-captured the "feel" of Rocky with this one.
Semi-credible boxing scenes for once too! :lol:
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I've just been walking in Sydney Road and noticed a poster for a new Meryl Streep film about Florence Foster Jenkins. I can't stand Meryl Streep and her singing is quite awful, so given that Flo was perhaps the least talented person to sing on a stage, ever (no, that's not meant to be hyperbole) and an object of derision, this is probably brilliant casting. I seriously can't wait to see this movie.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

swoop42 wrote:Has anyone seen Hail Caesar?

I was thinking of downloading it but not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.

People seem to either love or hate it from the reviews.
What a load of crap that movie was.

Not funny, not an action movie, drama, thriller or anything in particular.

Can't believe it got made.
stui magpie
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by stui magpie »

I'm hanging for Suicide squad to come out, the trailers are awesome, just hope the rest of the movie can live up to it.

For the Marvel fans, this one could be a sleeper. Benedict Cumberbatch as a superhero? :shock:

Introducing Dr Strange,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv8ot-ahPG4
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Can't wait for Dr Strange. Great time to be a fan of comics... unless you like reading comics, because they're bloody awful.
stui magpie
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by stui magpie »

Dr. Fate would kick his arse. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

stui magpie wrote:Dr. Fate would kick his arse. :wink:
I don't know enough about either character, but from what nerds on the internet say it'd be the other way around. :lol:
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Watched Jobs and Straight Outta' Compton on the plane.

Okay popular entertainment. Nothing to write home about dramatically, though.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm