What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David, Lola & quite a few others including me saw "Greed" on Wednesday night, a wonderful 1924 silent film written & directed by Eric von Stroheim.

Genius, sad, brutal & moving this 140 minute film (cut down rom the original 8 hours or so)

von Stroheim filmed on location (quite rare in those days apparently): "filming in natural, non-Hollywood studio locales - using real exteriors in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and interiors and street scenes in San Francisco and in Oakland. And he filmed the final fatal confrontation and shoot-out sequence in the sweltering heat of Death Valley under the very harshest conditions....."

http://www.filmsite.org/gree.html

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gllpRB4zgPI
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

He Never Died

"Stars Henry Rollins as an immortal, cannibalistic loner that has withdrawn from society to protect both himself and others."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/he_never_died/

Great movie. Dark, funny, brutal and definitely worth the watch.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

watt price tully wrote:David, Lola & quite a few others including me saw "Greed" on Wednesday night, a wonderful 1924 silent film written & directed by Eric von Stroheim.

Genius, sad, brutal & moving this 140 minute film (cut down rom the original 8 hours or so)

von Stroheim filmed on location (quite rare in those days apparently): "filming in natural, non-Hollywood studio locales - using real exteriors in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and interiors and street scenes in San Francisco and in Oakland. And he filmed the final fatal confrontation and shoot-out sequence in the sweltering heat of Death Valley under the very harshest conditions....."

Trailer

It was an amazing film. Depressing, too, but what an ending! And so many strange sequences, like the family eating the skulls at the wedding feast.

Apparently only 12 people (mostly film critics of the day) ever got to see the 8 hour version, and at least a few of them considered it the greatest film they'd ever seen. Its destruction against the wishes of its director has long been considered one of cinema's great tragedies. The studio-mutilated 2 hour version is still great, though, and honestly I have no idea if I could actually sit through 8 hours of it. :lol:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:David, Lola & quite a few others including me saw "Greed" on Wednesday night, a wonderful 1924 silent film written & directed by Eric von Stroheim.

Trailer

It was an amazing film. Depressing, too, but what an ending! And so many strange sequences, like the family eating the skulls at the wedding feast.

Apparently only 12 people (mostly film critics of the day) ever got to see the 8 hour version, and at least a few of them considered it the greatest film they'd ever seen. Its destruction against the wishes of its director has long been considered one of cinema's great tragedies. The studio-mutilated 2 hour version is still great, though, and honestly I have no idea if I could actually sit through 8 hours of it. :lol:
No way I could sit through 8 hours.

What a remarkable last part of that film, f*ck me. Of course the rest of the film was very good too.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Yyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhh, ummmmmmm, I think I'll stick to the classics, rocky, die hard, etc etc
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Next week or so they are showing the films of Rainer Werner Fasbinder. Not all that interested in his work - saw a few many years ago although I loved Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) which was a TV series on SBS many years ago.

Looking forward to the Mexican Film Noir at Cinemateque (one of my favourite film genre's)
watt price tully

think positive wrote:Yyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhh, ummmmmmm, I think I'll stick to the classics, rocky, die hard, etc etc
ha ha!! Classics alright. Having said that I'm a sucker for "A Few Good Men" which has only been shown 1000 times in the last 6 months & which I saw in the spare room (no one else wanted to watch it).

You would have liked "Greed", was pretty good & moving.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Went to the Melbourne Cinematheque last night & saw part of the Robert Altman festival - 2 films:

McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971) with Warren Beatty & Julie Christie followed by 3 Women (1977) with Sissy Spacek & Shelly Duvall - both about 2 hours.

The first one was great & I'm not sure about the second one. I'm still affected by that. Powerful boring, fascinating and disturbing. I'm still feeling quite uneasy about it - nearly walked out 1/2 way through but I think I'm glad I stayed. Wow. Parts of the second film reminded the signature below!!!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

think positive wrote:Yyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhh, ummmmmmm, I think I'll stick to the classics, rocky, die hard, etc etc
Give Creed a look; about Apollo's son with Stallone as a supporting actor.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Has anyone seen Hail Caesar?

I was thinking of downloading it but not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.

People seem to either love or hate it from the reviews.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Gomorrah (re-watch)

Watched it when it first came out in 2008 and was a little disappointed at the time because it suffered under the weight of my expectation. Watched it again last night and liked it a lot more. Probably because my taste in films has changed over the years and I had more appreciation for the nuanced aspects of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtdYTuRKto
King Monkey
Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

Post by King Monkey »

Watched the new Star Wars last night on DVD.
I liked it. Was well done.
Didn't see THAT coming! Well, sort of did see it coming as it was about to happen, but nice twist in the scheme of things.......
"I am a great sage, equal of heaven.
Grow stick, grow.
Fly cloud, fly.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David

Post by David »

watt price tully wrote:Went to the Melbourne Cinematheque last night & saw part of the Robert Altman festival - 2 films:

McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971) with Warren Beatty & Julie Christie followed by 3 Women (1977) with Sissy Spacek & Shelly Duvall - both about 2 hours.

The first one was great & I'm not sure about the second one. I'm still affected by that. Powerful boring, fascinating and disturbing. I'm still feeling quite uneasy about it - nearly walked out 1/2 way through but I think I'm glad I stayed. Wow. Parts of the second film reminded the signature below!!!
Both are really good films. McCabe & Mrs Miller is one of the few westerns I've seen that I enjoyed. 3 Women is great but I'm not sure I could sit through it again. Really unsettling film.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

That seems like enough time.