Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

DT wrote:As per the matchday thread the players have been programmed to play a certain way. It is a style which makes us competitive and good defensively but which kills any attacking footy.

Buckley’s view is equivalent to not executing in the final third in soccer but otherwise playing well. He is a masterful media performer. He is a dour unimaginative coach. The media are perplexed by him so he escapes criticism.

After ten years who here really thinks we have a top three coach?

I keep wondering about Malthouse and why he didn’t like Buckley so much as a player. Yes Mick had a big ego and spat the dummy after leaving but I have a strong feeling he also cared about the club and the players and knew something about Buckley as a coach that would not bring out the best in them. Mick was a good coach, a proven coach.

We need a top coach to instill good habits and the right mindset in the players. Buckley is a divisive figure who alienates certain players who do not fit within his mould. Collingwood has settled for mediocrity under him, one backed in by most of the present Board.

When I look at today’s game and listen to the coach the divide between fans and the club has never felt bigger in my 40 plus years of watching Collingwood.

God help us if the EGM does not happen and Buckley is reappointed as coach.

On the positive, Bianco is going to be a very good player as is Poulter. The list is mediocre but not dire. If we recruit well, aside from a champion that will shortly enter into the club, we can become a good side in three years despite losing Pendlebury and Sidebottom.

The list and salary cap debacle are not just the coach’s fault but the fault of Geoff Walsh and Guy and Hine. With Wrighty in charge I do have faith that he will make the right decisions.

Fingers crossed the board changes, as does the footy department and the club actively wishes to reconnect with its fans.
Sorry DT but this is utter rubbish - obviously Bucks coaching is okay when we’re killing the opposition in most games in the first quarter and a half with direct daring attacking footy - what happens after that I’m sure is equally frustrating for him as it is for the rest of us.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Said by Zed wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
Because we don’t have any semblance of forward line.
Now I accept Buckley is ( partly ) to blame for that debacle but how can anyone expect a forward line that includes Madgen Brown and a first gamer ( starting at half forward ) to kick a score.
You could say what was Nadgen doing there but what difference would it make if a out of form Kelly was there either. Cameron went into the ruck after half time and DeGoey went into the ball. We were lucky to kick 5 for the day.
No one could coach that team to a win against Geelong and since were in the post game thread, I’m simply trying to stick to the post game comments.
There is a thread for all the hate. Feel free to use it and then you don’t have to read my comments and I don’t have to read yours.
Ah, a voice of reason - well said Pies2016! Irrespective of who was coaching us today the result was always in the bag - and for those of you that diminish the effort put in by the lads by saying the were only playing against reserves, really? they had a few outs but that was close to the team (plus Cameron) that spanked us in the finals last year.

I’ve said before on here and I’ll say again there is a a certain fragility or tipping point to all footy teams - some are more resilient than others depending on their ‘culture’. Our team has been put through several years of both on-field and mostly off-field drama and disruption - I’m not going to list them all again. At some point the human psyche collapses and says enough I can’t take it, it’s too much and needs a break - this effects everything what’s good about winning teams i.e. confidence, trust, daring, belief, support. We’re there right now - the team collectively lacks confidence and the want to put in the required gut running, work off the ball, and selflessness required to be a top competitive team over 4 quarters. Those of you who think Buckley can’t coach can’t be thinking that in most games when we’re killing it in the first quarter and half and our system and game plan is obviously dominating…but external pressures take their toll and erode all the good so when things start turning there’s just nothing to dig deep into. Seriously, no coach, NO COACH has had to put up with all the distractions Buckley has and that’s just the facts. Any other person would have pulled the parachute a long time ago a gibbering wreck!
What?? The flak Bux is copping is due to the fact that a majority of supporters believe that he cannot coach our team effectively. The "external pressures" are due to his own incompetence.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MickMCG34

Post by MickMCG34 »

I yearn for the “board” or an EGM coup to lance this monstrous boil.
I’ve had a gutful and want to be a “member” again.
Woodsman forever
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

MickMCG34 wrote:I yearn for the “board” or an EGM coup to lance this monstrous boil.
I’ve had a gutful and want to be a “member” again.
Sadly, this may well be what is necesaary.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

I have now decided that I will watch Buckey's presser (God help me)
Will get back to you, if i survive.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
Because we don’t have any semblance of forward line.
Now I accept Buckley is ( partly ) to blame for that debacle but how can anyone expect a forward line that includes Madgen Brown and a first gamer ( starting at half forward ) to kick a score.
You could say what was Nadgen doing there but what difference would it make if a out of form Kelly was there either. Cameron went into the ruck after half time and DeGoey went into the ball. We were lucky to kick 5 for the day.
No one could coach that team to a win against Geelong and since were in the post game thread, I’m simply trying to stick to the post game comments.
There is a thread for all the hate. Feel free to use it and then you don’t have to read my comments and I don’t have to read yours.
Ah, a voice of reason - well said Pies2016! Irrespective of who was coaching us today the result was always in the bag - and for those of you that diminish the effort put in by the lads by saying the were only playing against reserves, really? they had a few outs but that was close to the team (plus Cameron) that spanked us in the finals last year.

I’ve said before on here and I’ll say again there is a a certain fragility or tipping point to all footy teams - some are more resilient than others depending on their ‘culture’. Our team has been put through several years of both on-field and mostly off-field drama and disruption - I’m not going to list them all again. At some point the human psyche collapses and says enough I can’t take it, it’s too much and needs a break - this effects everything what’s good about winning teams i.e. confidence, trust, daring, belief, support. We’re there right now - the team collectively lacks confidence and the want to put in the required gut running, work off the ball, and selflessness required to be a top competitive team over 4 quarters. Those of you who think Buckley can’t coach can’t be thinking that in most games when we’re killing it in the first quarter and half and our system and game plan is obviously dominating…but external pressures take their toll and erode all the good so when things start turning there’s just nothing to dig deep into. Seriously, no coach, NO COACH has had to put up with all the distractions Buckley has and that’s just the facts. Any other person would have pulled the parachute a long time ago a gibbering wreck!
What?? The flak Bux is copping is due to the fact that a majority of supporters believe that he cannot coach our team effectively. The "external pressures" are due to his own incompetence.
What the racism issues, Board dramas, continuous drugs, gambling and behaviour matters, poor recruitment, salary cap management, unprecedented injuries and poor injury management, continual blunders by the footy department, internal squabbles, external undermining all this is because he can’t coach….gees wake up and get a dose of reality. I know you’re hurting just like me but crucifying the coach for everything is just plain ridiculous.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

Said by Zed wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Said by Zed wrote: Ah, a voice of reason - well said Pies2016! Irrespective of who was coaching us today the result was always in the bag - and for those of you that diminish the effort put in by the lads by saying the were only playing against reserves, really? they had a few outs but that was close to the team (plus Cameron) that spanked us in the finals last year.

What the racism issues, Board dramas, continuous drugs, gambling and behaviour matters, poor recruitment, salary cap management, unprecedented injuries and poor injury management, continual blunders by the footy department, internal squabbles, external undermining all this is because he can’t coach….gees wake up and get a dose of reality. I know you’re hurting just like me but crucifying the coach for everything is just plain ridiculous.
The fact that the club is basket case does not excuse the fact that Buckley cannot coach. He took on a team that won 22 of 25 ten years ago and has had every chance of achieving success.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Agree with you Zed. The litany of disasters that you have so eloquently enumerated just proves that not only Bux and his entourage of sycophantic assistant coaches but the entire board should be exposed to public accountability.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I think Buckley can coach, no doubt. However, he’s had more than enough time in my view.

Time to move on. Get a coach who is not from Collingwood. We need to draw a line in the sand with a new coach, new captain, new assistant coaches, and new people on the board (not everyone replaced though IMO)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Damn phone
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

watt price tully wrote:I think Buckley can coach, no doubt. However, he’s had more than enough time in my view.

Time to move on. Get a coach who is not from Collingwood. We need to draw a line in the sand with a new coach, new captain, new assistant coaches, and new people on the board (not everyone replaced though IMO)
What?? If he can coach, then why move him on??
FFS, just articulate it out loud. He cannot coach. So we need to move on.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Cruisinwithdids

watt price tully wrote:I think Buckley can coach, no doubt. However, he’s had more than enough time in my view.

I am really curious about some of the commentary on here about this coach. So you are saying he can coach, he has had 10 years to show that, but now needs to be replaced. So he is a good coach, but needs to go?
watt price tully

Magpietothemax wrote:

It’s not as black and white as you put it. He can coach, but not well enough by the evidence. The various factors are already mentioned. But we need a new direction starting with the coach.
Cruisinwithdids

watt price tully wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

It’s not as black and white as you put it. He can coach, but not well enough by the evidence. The various factors are already mentioned. But we need a new direction starting with the coach.
Um ok, evidence. Where is then the ‘evidence’ that he can coach?
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Does anyone know why Madgen started up forward?

Was he tagging Stewart?
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆