#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kymbo5@yahoo.com.au »

Elite players make mistakes and have clangers.

SS is elite, he has proven over time to be so. He isn't a one game wonder (TAC grand final), or a one season flash in the pan. He plays to an extremely high level, year after year and has done so for 6-7 seasons. He has earnt elite status.

Clangers stick in our minds more than effective disposals when it comes to these types of players. Yep he stuffs it up sometimes but for the majority of the time he creates opportunites, sets up play and/ or finishes the good work of others.
kymbo
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

thompsoc wrote:Look there is one aspect that people overlook about Steele.
He has the best tank going around.
One minute he is on the forward flank
and the next minute he is gathering a loose ball
on the last line of defence.
Wayne Carey always calls Steele as elite.
I call him a flawed elite player because of those kicks and a few
other issues.
But I still reckon he is elite.
yes, that tank is his great weapon. It really is something. Perhaps it also explains his occasionally poor disposal - he's buggered ! he is also good in that he can kick well off either boot - to many players cannot do that now. Whether he is "elite" or not depends on definition, but damn he is an important part of our engine.
Two more flags before I die!
Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

you know NOTHING about footy dtm
McRae for Governor-General!
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Mugwump wrote:
thompsoc wrote:Look there is one aspect that people overlook about Steele.
He has the best tank going around.
One minute he is on the forward flank
and the next minute he is gathering a loose ball
on the last line of defence.
Wayne Carey always calls Steele as elite.
I call him a flawed elite player because of those kicks and a few
other issues.
But I still reckon he is elite.
yes, that tank is his great weapon. It really is something. Perhaps it also explains his occasionally poor disposal - he's buggered ! he is also good in that he can kick well off either boot - to many players cannot do that now. Whether he is "elite" or not depends on definition, but damn he is an important part of our engine.
Well we had Tank Donohue in the film The Club
So now we have Tank Steele the running machine!
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
princem007

Post by princem007 »

steele is a legend. from my hometown shepparton. dont go implying he is overatted , he is a gun . dont you forget it. champion bloke too.
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
MagpieBat

Re: Is Sidebottom Overrated?

Post by MagpieBat »

Dave The Man wrote:I still think he is bit Overrated. Lot of People call him Elite but I don't see him as a Elite Player as some others do. He is a Very Good Player.

His Kicking is not as good as some Made. Still top 5 Ball User at the Club(Though Don't have Many). He turns the ball over a bit Espically down back. Also does not often Kick over 30 Meters. So I think he is better Up Forward then Midfield or Down Back.

Do you agree?
You've shot Bambi.

May God have mercy upon your soul...
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

MagpieBat wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:I still think he is bit Overrated. Lot of People call him Elite but I don't see him as a Elite Player as some others do. He is a Very Good Player.

His Kicking is not as good as some Made. Still top 5 Ball User at the Club(Though Don't have Many). He turns the ball over a bit Espically down back. Also does not often Kick over 30 Meters. So I think he is better Up Forward then Midfield or Down Back.

Do you agree?
You've shot Bambi.

Good to see MB posting regularly tonight.
Something has changed.
So what is it ?
melliot

Post by melliot »

I guess it comes down to how you rate him. Then you can debate if he is overrated.

He is an A grader IMO. But only just. He can choose some overly risky kicks that don't come off and cost us dearly. That is his hair down side. The rest is all upside IMO.
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

I just dont know how to beat the Batman slap in the other thread?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Seriously though, Sidey is an AA quality player.

But he is yet to come into AA talks and he is 6 years into his career.

And that drives me crazy.
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

thompsoc wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

Do you agree?
You've shot Bambi.

Something has changed.
So what is it ?
I'm bored...
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

MagpieBat wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
MagpieBat wrote: You've shot Bambi.

Something has changed.
So what is it ?
I'm bored...
Best honest comment I have read in a long time on Nix.
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

Presti35 wrote:I just dont know how to beat the Batman slap in the other thread?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^^ nice one Batsy.

Hopefully we'll never have to use a Jason Todd photo! :shock:
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Dave I've been his harshest critic for a number of reasons but I agree he should be played as a forward.
People rabbit on about his 10 goals in the TAC final but if you look at his overall stats for the entire comp he was only a average player. I said it ages ago I think we jumped at him on the back of one performance. Prior to that grand final display (don't get me wrong 10 goals is a amazing effort) the phantom drafts had him going anywhere from 15 to mid 30's after it it was between 8 and 20 so some people rated him more highly than others.
Statistically 2012 was his best season and since then he's plateaued or gone backwards in most stats.

He's now completed 8 seasons and with around 160 games he should be a stand out player every week but this isn't the case.
He's always ok and in patches good but he can be very easily shut down and for mine that's why he isn't elite. Elite players still find a way to impact games even when they are tagged it may take some time to break the tag but they find a way and he doesn't
For every wonderful pass or piece of vision and yes there are loads of them there are equally or more horrible plays as well. He's not alone in our team at having brain fart's with his disposals but again this is a reason he isn't elite.
He does have elite endurance no question and I would rate him our best defensive mid at getting back deep and saving goals but that's only half his job the other half is getting forward and setting up goals and the stats say he doesn't do that any where often enough. Compare his current output to Dangerfield who is by everyone's opinion elite. Dangerfield has played 1 more season (around a dozen games) and was pick 10 in the draft so they are comparable in terms of experience and what a club payed for them at the draft table. So would anyone opt to have Sidey in there side before Dangerfield ? If you look at the way Dangerfield's career has taken off the past 3-4 seasons and run that along Sidey's and where's Dangerfield's career has sky rocketed Sidey's just ticks along at the same or in some stats declining stats when he is really in that part of his career they call the sweet spot for age and games played. If you answer yes to this question you have no idea about the game.
Finally I highlighted ages ago in another thread he is yet to win any major individual award. He never received a rising star nomination, never been mentioned in all Australian calculations or even made the squad, never won the club best and fairest, never polled more than 9 votes in a season in the Brownlow (career wise has 6 X 3 point votes total so he's considered the best player in that game less than once a season) go through any awards voted by the coaches journalists his peers or anyone and he's never figured in them (he's only twice been nominated by his team mates to go into the voting for the AFLPA MVP voting with his best finish being in the mid 40's out of 48 nominees)
He's a good player but not elite simple and I've been howled down by his supporters before and that's fine because everyone is entitled to a opinion