Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
mudlark wrote:
warburton lad wrote:Delighted with any win, but this one was particularly sweet

POulter, Rantall, Bianco, Daicos, Quaynor, Noble, all gave glimpses of the future.

Lynch battled manfully in the ruck, but was outclassed- still give him another three games to get a decent sample size on him.

He is on one fifth of the wage of Grundy and probably delivered about one quarter of the output. I will let others do the maths on that.

Was thrilled with Callum Brown's cameo in the middle- 11 possessions and 7 tackles showed what he is capable of- I had pumped him up in the pre-game and was rapt for him that he played such a key role.

Pendles and Sidey showed true leadership in the heat of battle.

Roughead and Hoskin-Elliott continued to return to form.

On SEN yesterday, it was mentioned that Greenwood, Mayne, Cox and Thomas are out-of-contract at season's end. Given that the club would not get much change out of $1.8 million for their contracts, there should be some respite in terms of salary cap (although it would be prudent to re-sign Moore and De Goey one year early).

My understanding is that North are still keen on De Goey- if so, straight swap for number one pick would do the deal- that way we can jag the best available mid and then Nick Daicos in this year's National Draft.

If we were bold in selection this week, we may see

INS_ Cox, Johnson and McReery Callum Brown

OUTS: Sier (injured), Thomas and Madgen and Lynch.

Would like to see McRae as the medical sub- our kids need to play against the best which, sadly, is Melbourne at present...

B: Quaynor. Roughead. Maynard

HB: Noble. Moore. Pendlebury

C: Poulter. Daicos. Hoskin-Elliott

HF. Sidebottom Mihocek. McReery

F: Elliott. Cox. De Goey

Ruck- Cameron. Crisp

Rover: Callum Brown

IC: Bianco, Rantall, Johnson, Murphy. (Medical sub- McRae)

Be brave Pies

Floreat Pica
Just a question on Browns 11 possessions. How many times was he tackled and lost possession in those 11? They same time stands still when Pendelberry gets the ball the same as. Down does but for a different reason. He just stops and all momentum dies. There was a perfect example late in the last term. Good team you picked WB but Brown isn’t in mine.
He lost me when he said we should trade De Goey.
Can't disagree with you there. Elliot in the side makes JDG that much better.Imagine if we had a decent tall forward to kick to and JDG and Elliot looming.We've got a good side when all are fit.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Post by warburton lad »

mudlark wrote:
warburton lad wrote:Delighted with any win, but this one was particularly sweet

POulter, Rantall, Bianco, Daicos, Quaynor, Noble, all gave glimpses of the future.

Lynch battled manfully in the ruck, but was outclassed- still give him another three games to get a decent sample size on him.

He is on one fifth of the wage of Grundy and probably delivered about one quarter of the output. I will let others do the maths on that.

Was thrilled with Callum Brown's cameo in the middle- 11 possessions and 7 tackles showed what he is capable of- I had pumped him up in the pre-game and was rapt for him that he played such a key role.

Pendles and Sidey showed true leadership in the heat of battle.

Roughead and Hoskin-Elliott continued to return to form.

On SEN yesterday, it was mentioned that Greenwood, Mayne, Cox and Thomas are out-of-contract at season's end. Given that the club would not get much change out of $1.8 million for their contracts, there should be some respite in terms of salary cap (although it would be prudent to re-sign Moore and De Goey one year early).

My understanding is that North are still keen on De Goey- if so, straight swap for number one pick would do the deal- that way we can jag the best available mid and then Nick Daicos in this year's National Draft.

If we were bold in selection this week, we may see

INS_ Cox, Johnson and McReery Callum Brown

OUTS: Sier (injured), Thomas and Madgen and Lynch.

Would like to see McRae as the medical sub- our kids need to play against the best which, sadly, is Melbourne at present...

B: Quaynor. Roughead. Maynard

HB: Noble. Moore. Pendlebury

C: Poulter. Daicos. Hoskin-Elliott

HF. Sidebottom Mihocek. McReery

F: Elliott. Cox. De Goey

Ruck- Cameron. Crisp

Rover: Callum Brown

IC: Bianco, Rantall, Johnson, Murphy. (Medical sub- McRae)

Be brave Pies

Floreat Pica
Just a question on Browns 11 possessions. How many times was he tackled and lost possession in those 11? They same time stands still when Pendelberry gets the ball the same as. Down does but for a different reason. He just stops and all momentum dies. There was a perfect example late in the last term. Good team you picked WB but Brown isn’t in mine.
With all due respect sir, I didn't say trade De Goey- I merely mentioned that my understanding is that 'North are keen'...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

This match turned when Sier was subbed out.
That was pretty handy as we all know.

Callum Brown was given overdue centre-clearance time and turned the match with defensive pressure and Buddha/Oliver like hunting.
The other 21 seemed elevated by the pressure and urgency he applied.

Murphy's game also impressed on the telly. Did a great job in the one-on-ones and managed not to hurt himself too badly. His time is close.

Daicos only needs 16 touches to have serious impact and was unlucky to not make my top 5.

Everyone impressed with Bianco. Has Fasolo-like energy & skills but more consistency and less 'Prince of Perth'ness.

Callum still needs to develop his forward and around the ground craft, but having the confidence of being of value at clearances is going to help.
Thank you for whoever finally got him some time in the middle.

Cant wait until Darcy Tyler Josh and Callum walk in for a centre-bounce.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

warburton lad wrote:
mudlark wrote: Just a question on Browns 11 possessions. How many times was he tackled and lost possession in those 11? They same time stands still when Pendelberry gets the ball the same as. Down does but for a different reason. He just stops and all momentum dies. There was a perfect example late in the last term. Good team you picked WB but Brown isn’t in mine.
With all due respect sir, I didn't say trade De Goey- I merely mentioned that my understanding is that 'North are keen'...
This is what you stated:

"My understanding is that North are still keen on De Goey- if so, straight swap for number one pick would do the deal- that way we can jag the best available mid and then Nick Daicos in this year's National Draft".
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

P.P. Mate said he saw GW tell NB something

NB got straight on the phone

Wright would have a fair idea of conversation with a coach who coached three flags sitting beside him. In H&A and finals

Could well be he’s giving Bucks all the help together with observation so he can make correct decision for his renewal
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Couldn’t help but notice how the interstate clubs have been able to draw on the form of all their listed players. All non selected players have still been playing in their state league affiliated clubs over the past couple weeks.
It’s a huge disadvantage to all the Vic clubs who can’t get any time into those who weren’t picked to play seniors. It’s the world we live in but it’s very difficult to develop players when aren’t playing footy. We really need the VFL up and running again much sooner than later.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Agree with our VFL comp especially last year as you can see how McCreery and Poulter stepped up very quick (due to full 2020 SANFL season)

This is in comparison to Rantall and Bianco who got scratch match 2020

It’s a credit to all 4 as the Sth Oz boys had to get familiar with our system and the quality of Vic pair who put in hard yards to show us thier worth

We are in good shape in many ways
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

think positive wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:Some of the bone head responses in here are insane
Seedsman the best player we ever let go?

Mal Michael and his 3 premierships and all australian Squad's MIGHT have u covered.

The OP probably doesnt even know Mal Michael played for collingwood
Can name 10 better players than Seedsman we let go who went on to have better careers at their next club or at least hurt us by not remaining:

* Heath Scotland
* Brenton Sanderson
* Paul Williams
* Robert Dean
* Peter Moore
* Andrew Schauble
* Nick Davis
* Rhyce Shaw
* Heath Shaw
* Phil Walsh
stevo
treloar!
To be determined
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

RudeBoy wrote:
think positive wrote:
inxs88 wrote: Can name 10 better players than Seedsman we let go who went on to have better careers at their next club or at least hurt us by not remaining:

* Heath Scotland
* Brenton Sanderson
* Paul Williams
* Robert Dean
* Peter Moore
* Andrew Schauble
* Nick Davis
* Rhyce Shaw
* Heath Shaw
* Phil Walsh
stevo
treloar!
Mark 'Chocco' Willams.
Don't think he excelled at the Bears nor hurt us post his Pies days. He struggled badly in 1986.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Lord Maximus Farquaad

Post by Lord Maximus Farquaad »

It’s of course a great feeling to win but those that are saying that we are in good shape for the future are getting just a little bit carried away. We beat the reigning wooden spooner. Narrowly. Because they kicked inaccurately. And because we had an unreliable star ( unreliable because he plays so little) kick 6 goals. A sample of one is not enough to convince me.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:It’s of course a great feeling to win but those that are saying that we are in good shape for the future are getting just a little bit carried away. We beat the reigning wooden spooner. Narrowly. Because they kicked inaccurately. And because we had an unreliable star ( unreliable because he plays so little) kick 6 goals. A sample of one is not enough to convince me.
Welcome back Jack Spain
Lord Maximus Farquaad

Post by Lord Maximus Farquaad »

What'sinaname wrote:
Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:It’s of course a great feeling to win but those that are saying that we are in good shape for the future are getting just a little bit carried away. We beat the reigning wooden spooner. Narrowly. Because they kicked inaccurately. And because we had an unreliable star ( unreliable because he plays so little) kick 6 goals. A sample of one is not enough to convince me.
Welcome back Jack Spain
Que?
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Fair point. However it is possible that we could win more than lose from now on, conditional on having a better run with injuries to key players. If this happens, look for a reinvigorated Collingwood to do well in 2022 after a solid pre season. I have some renewed confidence now compared to a month ago.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

What'sinaname wrote:
Welcome back Jack Spain
As a former sparing partner, good to see you back Jack Spain/Bob Sugar etc.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

warburton lad wrote:...
They will offer a straight swap for Stephenson. :shock: :wink: