Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:^ Reckon we’d have been somewhere beyond 1.11.17, or do you think that score is ok for a 3/4 time score in the AFL? I’m really curious to understand how that is ok and how it has absolutely nothing to do with coaching methodology?
Blunt like a sledgehammer. But nails it, i reckon.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

Buckley thinks we are on the right track ... just need to execute better.
He is truly delusional.
Please sack him ASAP
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

Lone Ranger wrote:Buckley thinks we are on the right track ... just need to execute better.
He is truly delusional.
Please sack him ASAP
He should be sacked just for offering up that crap to the supporters.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Because we don’t have any semblance of forward line.
Now I accept Buckley is ( partly ) to blame for that debacle but how can anyone expect a forward line that includes Madgen Brown and a first gamer ( starting at half forward ) to kick a score.
You could say what was Nadgen doing there but what difference would it make if a out of form Kelly was there either. Cameron went into the ruck after half time and DeGoey went into the ball. We were lucky to kick 5 for the day.
No one could coach that team to a win against Geelong and since were in the post game thread, I’m simply trying to stick to the post game comments.
There is a thread for all the hate. Feel free to use it and then you don’t have to read my comments and I don’t have to read yours.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Lone Ranger wrote:Buckley thinks we are on the right track ... just need to execute better.
He is truly delusional.
Please sack him ASAP
Is that what he said in the presser??? (Still not yet have summoned the courage to watch it).
If indeed he actually said that, then...i will need to scull several more sambuccas before I can see reason
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

COLLINGW09D
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

think positive wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
K wrote: We shouldn't be starting ball movement from defence. We should be getting centre clearances. That's what happens when the good teams score quickly.
I think Noble and IQ are both gems. They have an innate tendency to search out rapid, aggressive ball movement. IQ seems the more liberated of the two. Noble i think is being negatively influenced by the ultra defensive mindset of you know who. If Noble were liberated from this, I think he could really explode in his onfield impact.
so i dsagree in the sense that yes, we should be seeking out aggressive ball movement from defence, because we have the necessary personnel to execute it. The main issue is: what is the overarching emphasis of our coaching entourage? Clearly, it is: maintain possession at all costs, until you are sure that releasing will be to our advantage. Who then has the courage to deciding when this moment arises? Atomises our team into a rabble of individuals who keep palming off the responsibility to someone else.
Yup

I really don’t think our team is all bad as some make out.

1 we need a decent forward. End of story. A solid marking forward. Right now we have checkers, who isn’t bad but he’s not big and strong enough to do it all. Darcy Cameron will be alright too but he’s not a true marking forward, not yet anyway. DeGoey cops a lot of flack, yes I think he could go harder, but it was clear when he went to the middle he and we were better. So why not switch him and Pendles? Let Pendles rest, let DeGoey get the fitness for burst running, pretty much the way Swan played, full pelt, rest. I want to see cox back in the side because he really does take 2 defenders. I know people and opposition don’t rate him, but right now he is all we have, and he is good enough that if he is one on one, he will get the ball and at least the. We have a chance to score. When they double team him it means we have less pressure on the other forwards.

Our defence is clearly missing the spunky one, Maynard needs to be encourage to step into the general role, as Maxy was. He doesn’t have to be the best player if he directs traffic. Adams is needed elsewhere.

I agree let noble and IQ of the leash, yes they will make mistakes, but you learn more from your mistakes than the things you know how to do.

I’m not worried that Daicos has been quiet, he will be right, as for the browns and JT, we cannot play all of them, it’s lunacy.

Don’t dick the ball around in defence, get it the **** out of there, roost it down the middle, do not do not do not kick it across the opposition goal. Ever! Until we get a genuine forward marking option dick it around the 50 til we find an opening, and go.

Practice at training making better decisions, crowd a player and make him move and not handpass until a player is free. I’d rather they get run down a couple of times than have another player taken out in the air.

My big thing was always every game telling my kids your responsibility doesn’t end with getting in position for s pass and calling for it, you have to make damn sure the next recipient is able to accept the pass. Make it precise, make it leading, how many times are opposition players simply intercepting the ball because a player is waiting for the ball instead of leading into it. Even if no one is around you go to the ball you never ever wait.

What led to those last goals was waiting for an opportunity rather than just thumping the ball forward. Yes I know they defenders were getting tired, thing is too that defenders tend to be bigger and usually less athletic, if our small forward can’t run the gauntlet then we need better small forwards. It’s not all on DeGoey, everytime someone bombs to him a player is on his neck, or holding his arm.

And I would love to see someone, anyone bring to light the Selwood thing, protecting the head is supposed to be a big priority and yet at least three times he was rewarded for ducking. A free should be paid against him.

Got to be honest I’m just glad we didn’t get thumped because I hate those bastards and their supporters more than any other! And right now I reckon cat fans would be more embarrassed than us! Cheers
Why oh why can you see it but the guy who gets paid a million a year can’t. Perfect summary of our issues and how to resolve them. Do you want a job coaching an AFL club, I hear there might be a vacancy soon.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
Now I accept Buckley is ( partly ) to blame for that debacle but how can anyone expect a forward line that includes Madgen Brown and a first gamer ( starting at half forward ) to kick a score.
You could say what was Nadgen doing there but what difference would it make if a out of form Kelly was there either. Cameron went into the ruck after half time and DeGoey went into the ball. We were lucky to kick 5 for the day.
No one could coach that team to a win against Geelong and since were in the post game thread, I’m simply trying to stick to the post game comments.
There is a thread for all the hate. Feel free to use it and then you don’t have to read my comments and I don’t have to read yours.
Well, you have to remember that we were playing almost Geelong Reserves, due to their lack of a midfield.
The last quarter showed what we could have done if the freedom had been granted earlier on.
In particular, the 2nd quarter was an utter disaster.
Madgen up forward was stupid form word go. Maybe try him in the midfield because Geelong actually had only 2nd tier mids.
Maybe you are right. There was no way we could have won tonight given the personnel. But I think absolutely that our coaching policies ensured that for the first half we were stuffed.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Broke a few records today.

First goalless half since 2005.
First goalless half at the MCG in 116 years.
Only team this season to have consecutive goalless qtrs, we have now done this twice in 3 games.
4th time since the start of 2020 we have gone 3 qtrs for 1 goal, again only team to achieve this.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

As per the matchday thread the players have been programmed to play a certain way. It is a style which makes us competitive and good defensively but which kills any attacking footy.

Buckley’s view is equivalent to not executing in the final third in soccer but otherwise playing well. He is a masterful media performer. He is a dour unimaginative coach. The media are perplexed by him so he escapes criticism.

After ten years who here really thinks we have a top three coach?

I keep wondering about Malthouse and why he didn’t like Buckley so much as a player. Yes Mick had a big ego and spat the dummy after leaving but I have a strong feeling he also cared about the club and the players and knew something about Buckley as a coach that would not bring out the best in them. Mick was a good coach, a proven coach.

We need a top coach to instill good habits and the right mindset in the players. Buckley is a divisive figure who alienates certain players who do not fit within his mould. Collingwood has settled for mediocrity under him, one backed in by most of the present Board.

When I look at today’s game and listen to the coach the divide between fans and the club has never felt bigger in my 40 plus years of watching Collingwood.

God help us if the EGM does not happen and Buckley is reappointed as coach.

On the positive, Bianco is going to be a very good player as is Poulter. The list is mediocre but not dire. If we recruit well, aside from a champion that will shortly enter into the club, we can become a good side in three years despite losing Pendlebury and Sidebottom.

The list and salary cap debacle are not just the coach’s fault but the fault of Geoff Walsh and Guy and Hine. With Wrighty in charge I do have faith that he will make the right decisions.

Fingers crossed the board changes, as does the footy department and the club actively wishes to reconnect with its fans.
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Johnno75 wrote:Broke a few records today.

First goalless half since 2005.
First goalless half at the MCG in 116 years.
Only team this season to have consecutive goalless qtrs, we have now done this twice in 3 games.
4th time since the start of 2020 we have gone 3 qtrs for 1 goal, again only team to achieve this.
Yay!!
Always love smashing records.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

DT wrote:As per the matchday thread the players have been programmed to play a certain way. It is a style which makes us competitive and good defensively but which kills any attacking footy.

Buckley’s view is equivalent to not executing in the final third in soccer but otherwise playing well. He is a masterful media performer. He is a dour unimaginative coach. The media are perplexed by him so he escapes criticism.

I keep wondering about Malthouse and why he didn’t like Buckley so much as a player. Yes Mick had a big ego and spat the dummy after leaving but I have a strong feeling he also cared about the club and the players and knew something about Buckley as a coach that would not bring out the best in them. Mick was a good coach, a proven coach.

We need a top coach to instill good habits and the right mindset in the players. Buckley is a divisive figure who alienates certain players who do not fit within his mould. Collingwood has settled for mediocrity under him, one backed in by most of the present Board.

When I look at today’s game and listen to the coach the divide between fans and the club has never felt bigger in my 40 plus years of watching Collingwood.

On the positive, Bianco is going to be a very good player as is Poulter. The list is mediocre but not dire. If we recruit well, aside from a champion that will shortly enter into the club, we can become a good side in three years despite losing Pendlebury and Sidebottom.

The list and salary cap debacle are not just the coach’s fault but the fault of Geoff Walsh and Guy and Hine. With Wrighty in charge I do have faith that he will make the right decisions.

Fingers crossed the board changes, as does the footy department and the club actively wishes to reconnect with its fans.
Very good post DT. Agree with much of it.
The main issue i have is faith with Wright. Is he really independent of Bux? will he really be able to decide what is best for Collingwood , regardless of Bux??
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

DT wrote:As per the matchday thread the players have been programmed to play a certain way. It is a style which makes us competitive and good defensively but which kills any attacking footy.

Great summary DT - agree with all points regarding coach players and others. It is a watershed moment in the history of the CFC.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
Ah, a voice of reason - well said Pies2016! Irrespective of who was coaching us today the result was always in the bag - and for those of you that diminish the effort put in by the lads by saying the were only playing against reserves, really? they had a few outs but that was close to the team (plus Cameron) that spanked us in the finals last year.

I’ve said before on here and I’ll say again there is a a certain fragility or tipping point to all footy teams - some are more resilient than others depending on their ‘culture’. Our team has been put through several years of both on-field and mostly off-field drama and disruption - I’m not going to list them all again. At some point the human psyche collapses and says enough I can’t take it, it’s too much and needs a break - this effects everything what’s good about winning teams i.e. confidence, trust, daring, belief, support. We’re there right now - the team collectively lacks confidence and the want to put in the required gut running, work off the ball, and selflessness required to be a top competitive team over 4 quarters. Those of you who think Buckley can’t coach can’t be thinking that in most games when we’re killing it in the first quarter and half and our system and game plan is obviously dominating…but external pressures take their toll and erode all the good so when things start turning there’s just nothing to dig deep into. Seriously, no coach, NO COACH has had to put up with all the distractions Buckley has and that’s just the facts. Any other person would have pulled the parachute a long time ago a gibbering wreck!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
MickMCG34

Post by MickMCG34 »

NB defenders on this forum IMO are as delusional as he.
Woodsman forever