Post Match. Pies pipped in Prelim. All comments please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Collingwood 7.10.52
GWS 8.8.56

Goals: JT, Stevo 2, Mayne, Reid, Elliott 1,

Disposals: Howe 28, Crisp 26, Grundy 25, Maynard 23, Treloar 22, Adams 20, Flip, Pendles 18, Moore 17, Stevo, Noble, Wills, Sidey 16, Elliott 13,

D/E: Moore 82.4%, Howe 82.1, Wills 81.9

Tackles: Wills 12, Crisp, Pendles 9.

AF points: Grundy 161, Crisp 126, Howe 107, Maynard 103, Pendles 94
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Magpietothemax wrote:John Noble, well done to you. Only a kid, in his 5th (or is it 6th) AFL game. He will learn so much from this, and I am looking forward to see him develop next year, after a pre-season. I sense that he might also be develop as a fast small forward.
You do realise he is 22 going on 23? And sadly he won't get any taller. Did you see how tall the Giants were compared to us in the lineup for the anthem? No disrespect to JN who tried his heart out but he is short and light bodied (and he's not Robinson Crusoe at Collingwood). If we are serious as a club about taking the next level we have to draft big KPPs like the Giants have (and remember they haven't had preferential picks for a couple of years now). I'm sorry, but our recruiting of small mids over the last 8 or 9 years has killed us.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

[quote="Dark Beanie"]LOL.
My youngest sister has just msg the family that she will be seeing some AFL execs at the GVFL finals tomorrow.

She will have to do her best to hold her tongue......they will be guests after all
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

shawthing wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:John Noble, well done to you. Only a kid, in his 5th (or is it 6th) AFL game. He will learn so much from this, and I am looking forward to see him develop next year, after a pre-season. I sense that he might also be develop as a fast small forward.
You do realise he is 22 going on 23? And sadly he won't get any taller. Did you see how tall the Giants were compared to us in the lineup for the anthem? No disrespect to JN who tried his heart out but he is short and light bodied (and he's not Robinson Crusoe at Collingwood). If we are serious as a club about taking the next level we have to draft big KPPs like the Giants have (and remember they haven't had preferential picks for a couple of years now). I'm sorry, but our recruiting of small mids over the last 8 or 9 years has killed us.
Just remember, John Noble cost us nothing. I think he can be developed as small forward..he has lots of ability.
Yes, we do need to address the issue of height. we need another tall forward.
But how can you say our recruitment has "killed us" ?
We made a GF last year, and a PF this year, which we lost by a whisker?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

Micheok towels up by keefe!!

Seriously...
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

watt price tully wrote:
shawthing wrote:Serious decisions need to be made on our list. Too small, too light bodied, too injury prone.

Enjoy retirement Ben Reid.

This one will scar us for life, ...
What a lot of horseshit. Talk about melodramatic & errant nonsense. It will not scar us for life. Of course a prelim final defeat hurts but scarring for life? FFS
Depends how old you are. Obviously you were born in the early 2000s. If like me you've witnessed 11 grand final losses and various finals fade outs for five decades then you'll know about scarring. Otherwise how about you STFU!!! :evil:

We are obviously the Arsenal of the AFL.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

PyreneesPie wrote:
VicParkTragic wrote:I’d like to thank to players and the coaches of the club for an overall successful season. More than wins than loses. Close loss in the prelim to a very good side. I love this football club and that’s it. Regardless of the end result it adds joy to my life.
Well said. What more can we do right now, but be grateful to players and coaches for giving of their all and taking us deep into September.

I feel as though I've lost some of the passion for the game this year though - not Collingwood never ever !!!!!, nor the true essence of the game. However, I'm tired of all the media hype and the commercial orientated leadership of the AFL. Unsubscribing from Fox Footy and just watching the games from my own perspective may help.
Me too, and it makes me sad, I’m not easily disillusioned but I just feel so ripped off, those bullshit Premierships Brisbane got at our expense, now this. I’m shattered. We didn’t play great, but we did play well enough to win, we just were not allowed to. That’s how I feel about last year too. I don’t want freebies, I know we just are not a fairy tale team, just a fair go....it’s just not right
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:Apart from our dismal midfield performance - Grundy and Adams notwithstanding- we lost it with the selection gamble of Reid and Aish. It’s not their fault but with little recent match experience, it would have been difficult for Varcoe or Scharenberg to do worse. Overall team structure would obviously needed to be different, but not detrimental.

Not angry after our amazing last quarter fight back, but a good lesson learned about underdone second tier players
Yeah, I will remember this lesson. It does tell us how important prioritising hardened match readiness over perceived ability to play a role not sustained by recent game play.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote:Another lesson:
I think that we also need to train ourselves for wet weather conditions alot better. It seemed to me that we did not adjust to the conditions very well. GWS seemed to make fewer mistakes in handling and transferring the ball.
Not sure how you train for this without the actual wet weather. Maybe have our preseason training camp in Glasgow Scotland, which receives the highest rainfall in Europe, and yet receives little snow. Mostly just rain, which turns the ground to slush, just what we need to practise in.
Yeah, it was disturbing to see the Giants handling the wet conditions better than us overall. Lots of fumbles and dropped marks from us. I thought initially that was due to nerves, but as the match wore on, it became more obvious that it wasn't it. Maybe we could forego the trip to Scotland and simulate wet conditions by giving the boys greased footballs to handle at training. :wink:
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

Magpietothemax wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
shawthing wrote:Serious decisions need to be made on our list. Too small, too light bodied, too injury prone.

What a lot of horseshit. Talk about melodramatic & errant nonsense. It will not scar us for life. Of course a prelim final defeat hurts but scarring for life? FFS
Yes. Totally WPT. Pathetic, irrational and imbecilic nonsense.
This kind of horseshit needs to be called out.
(Was there a Marx Brothers' film called "Horseshit" ??)
Stupid Arsenal fans more like it. Accept mediocrity year after year. Yeah go on we're a national joke - especially in Sydney. Alan Jones will be gloating all next week you can be sure.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

shawthing wrote:
Stupid Arsenal fans more like it. Accept mediocrity year after year. Yeah go on we're a national joke - especially in Sydney. Alan Jones will be gloating all next week you can be sure.
If you care about what Alan Jones says, then I feel sad for you.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

shawthing wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
watt price tully wrote: What a lot of horseshit. Talk about melodramatic & errant nonsense. It will not scar us for life. Of course a prelim final defeat hurts but scarring for life? FFS
Yes. Totally WPT. Pathetic, irrational and imbecilic nonsense.
This kind of horseshit needs to be called out.
(Was there a Marx Brothers' film called "Horseshit" ??)
shawthing, if you care what Alan Jones thinks or says , I feel sorry for you.
:(
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

shawthing wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Depends how old you are. Obviously you were born in the early 2000s. If like me you've witnessed 11 grand final losses and various finals fade outs for five decades then you'll know about scarring. Otherwise how about you STFU!!! :evil:

We are obviously the Arsenal of the AFL.
Another troll. Are you and Adz the same poster? This was not a grand final genius. Pathetic & histrionic nonsense. Learn to grow a pair.

Scarred FFS
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

PyreneesPie wrote:

shawthing, if you care what Alan Jones thinks or says , I feel sorry for you.
:(
Two great minds thinking alike.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Cripes. That was quite uncanny MTTM. We were both saying virtually the same thing at the same time, unaware of the other!!!