#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I can't recall much about this Beams character, but Steele Sidebottom is a star.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Earlier in this thread someone said Sidey is elite and Beams isn't.
Well I agree with the part Dayne Beams isn't but Sidey is definitely not either
So I went back and found statistically there best year (which happened to be 2012 for both players based on playing a full season. Note Sidey did average 1.2 disposals more per game in 2015 but played 9 less games)
So as a very fair comparison we can compare these 2 players who played the same amount of games against the same opposition in the same conditions

Beams ave 30.9 disposals to to Sidey's 26.4
Beams laid 109 tackles to Sidey's 89
Beams kicked 28 goals to Sidey's 14

Sidey finished
6th in total kicks
8th for ave kicks
10 in total disposals
4th in uncontested disposals

Beams finished
1st in total disposals
1st in total effective disposals
1st in uncontested disposals
3rd in total handballs
4th in ave disposals per game
5th in total kicks
6th for inside 50's
9th in clearances

Beams received 19 Brownlow votes to finish in a tie for 8th including 4 best on ground Sidey received 7 votes (finished outside the top 50) for 1 best on ground (note Beams 4 x 3 vote games that season is only1 fewer than Sidey's total of 5 best on ground in his total career)

Copeland voting Beams won the award 33 votes clear of Pendles wit 205 votes Sidey finished a very distant 4th with 133 votes
Beams was a all Australian player for the first time a feat Sidey hasn't achieved ever
Beams finished in the top 10 of the AFLPA MVP voting, herald sun player of the year voting, fox footy player of the year voting, coaches association player of the year voting all in 2012 (Sidey has never finished top 10 in any of these awards in any year)
Beams as also a rising star nominee (2009) finishing 4th Sidey was never nominated as a rising star (the judges obviously new something then)

Beams 2012 was by anyone's standard an elite season (the only season he's had of elite level) Sidey has never reached this level in any season and even his best season statistically in comparison falls miles behind the elite standard.
I rest my case
Great stats
Proves a lot.
Certain posters only believe their opinions and theirs only.
I have always said Beams was the last recognised A grader that Hine recruited in the yearling sales.
No doubt Moore will make it.
But my dog could have picked Moore.
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

thompsoc wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:Earlier in this thread someone said Sidey is elite and Beams isn't.
So I went back and found statistically there best year (which happened to be 2012 for both players based on playing a full season. Note Sidey did average 1.2 disposals more per game in 2015 but played 9 less games)
So as a very fair comparison we can compare these 2 players who played the same amount of games against the same opposition in the same conditions

Sidey finished
6th in total kicks
8th for ave kicks
10 in total disposals

Beams finished
1st in total disposals
3rd in total handballs
5th in total kicks
6th for inside 50's
9th in clearances

Beams received 19 Brownlow votes to finish in a tie for 8th including 4 best on ground Sidey received 7 votes (finished outside the top 50) for 1 best on ground (note Beams 4 x 3 vote games that season is only1 fewer than Sidey's total of 5 best on ground in his total career)

Copeland voting Beams won the award 33 votes clear of Pendles wit 205 votes Sidey finished a very distant 4th with 133 votes
Beams was a all Australian player for the first time a feat Sidey hasn't achieved ever
Beams finished in the top 10 of the AFLPA MVP voting, herald sun player of the year voting, fox footy player of the year voting, coaches association player of the year voting all in 2012 (Sidey has never finished top 10 in any of these awards in any year)
Beams as also a rising star nominee (2009) finishing 4th Sidey was never nominated as a rising star (the judges obviously new something then)

Beams 2012 was by anyone's standard an elite season (the only season he's had of elite level) Sidey has never reached this level in any season and even his best season statistically in comparison falls miles behind the elite standard.
I rest my case
Great stats
Proves a lot.
I have always said Beams was the last recognised A grader that Hine recruited in the yearling sales.
Does your dog work cheap ?
We might need him soon lol
Mate honestly neither player is elite but at pick 29 he was a good player value wise at pick 11 Sidey hasn't performed any better over his career than Beams but cost more when you consider who went after him in that draft (Hannebury to Sydney is one I can remember off the top of my head)
I just hate the way people call a player elite when he doesn't have a body of work over a sustained period
I believe there's maybe 8-10 elit players in the Comp and then another 30 right around that level and Sidey ain't any of them.
Darkstranger

Post by Darkstranger »

Pies4shaw wrote:How do we feel about just doing a direct swap of Sidebottom for Picken? We need a quick tagger and we may as well get something while he still has some currency.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .....deep breath.....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ....pick myself up off the floor, deep breath....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .....
There is Collingwood and then the rest.
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

Well I agree with the part Dayne Beams isn't but Sidey is definitely not either ...
I think you make a reasonable point about Sidey not being elite, if elite is restricted to the very, very best, like Pendlebury, Ablett or Fyfe, say the top ten or twenty players.

He'd have to be in the top 20% of all AFL players though, and, at 25, there's still plenty of upside. I suspect that he may well graduate to elite if the team around him plays a little better over the next couple of years.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

I can't believe people are suggesting we trade Sidey now!

**** me do you rate any of our players? Would be sooooo much easier to ditch the coach and keep the players -most of them-the good 30 on the list!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

Sidey finished
6th in total kicks
8th for ave kicks
10 in total disposals

Beams finished
1st in total disposals
3rd in total handballs
5th in total kicks
6th for inside 50's
9th in clearances

I rest my case
Great stats
Proves a lot.
Does your dog work cheap ?
We might need him soon lol
Mate honestly neither player is elite but at pick 29 he was a good player value wise at pick 11 Sidey hasn't performed any better over his career than Beams but cost more when you consider who went after him in that draft (Hannebury to Sydney is one I can remember off the top of my head)
I just hate the way people call a player elite when he doesn't have a body of work over a sustained period
I believe there's maybe 8-10 elit players in the Comp and then another 30 right around that level and Sidey ain't any of them.
I Suppose it all comes down to the definition between elite an A grader.
I would probably say an A grader is in the top 20 % of the comp.
80% is A grade in education.
Elite may well be top 10 or even top 5 percent.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Great player, one of the first that opposition coaches worry about. When Chris Scott was asked, before the Geelong v Collingwood game, what you needed to prepare for against Collingwood he said - "well, the obvious really - Pendlebury, Sidebottom....Treloar"

That says enough. Whether he is "elite" or not is a matter of definition. What is indisputable is that he is a key to our side and its ability to threaten.
Two more flags before I die!
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Mugwump wrote:Great player, one of the first that opposition coaches worry about. When Chris Scott was asked, before the Geelong v Collingwood game, what you needed to prepare for against Collingwood he said - "well, the obvious really - Pendlebury, Sidebottom....Treloar"

That says enough. Whether he is "elite" or not is a matter of definition. What is indisputable is that he is a key to our side and its ability to threaten.
Well Mugwump.
I agree with you.
That is strange indeed.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Jack I actually did look into the finals stats your rights there's nothing between then other than Sidey played very well in the 2010 GF's whilst Beams had 2 dirty days. My point wasn't about Beams being elites not he's had 1 season which is of elite standard and a couple others of decent but not elite standard. I just feel the term elite is banded around like no ones business and should only be applied when earned over a sustained period of excellence
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of some of the terminology or the application by some but as I see it elite is A grade performances over multiple years. For example, Treloar's stats are sensational but at his age he hasn't yet performed at that level long enough to be elite, Pendles and Swanny have. In my view, so has Sidey. Reid has dropped off that level due to his injury interupted recent history.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Is Sidebottom Overrated?

Post by Dave The Man »

I still think he is bit Overrated. Lot of People call him Elite but I don't see him as a Elite Player as some others do. He is a Very Good Player.

His Kicking is not as good as some Made. Still top 5 Ball User at the Club(Though Don't have Many). He turns the ball over a bit Espically down back. Also does not often Kick over 30 Meters. So I think he is better Up Forward then Midfield or Down Back.

Do you agree?
I am Da Man
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Maybe you should tell him how you feel about him.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Agree entirely Dave (yes get off the floor). I love Steele's loyalty, passion and team first approach for the Pies, but me and my mates do (when he faux's) call him Steele "Sideways" especially when he does those dinky, lateral kicks to his team mates feet!

With our forward line being a huge issue for us, we should use our blossoming midfield to thrive and keep Steele up forward and be that crumbing example that Blair could only ever dream of being!

Steele kicked 10 in a TAC Grand Final in 2008 but never have we leveraged this "offensive weapon" other than the odd cameo foray. Reckon a 70:30 split between forward and midfield could be of great assistance in 2017. He could easily kick 40+ and be what Fasolo teases to be.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Look there is one aspect that people overlook about Steele.
He has the best tank going around.
One minute he is on the forward flank
and the next minute he is gathering a loose ball
on the last line of defence.
Wayne Carey always calls Steele as elite.
I call him a flawed elite player because of those kicks and a few
other issues.
But I still reckon he is elite.
Last edited by thompsoc on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Very good player does it for me. As a mid, he tends to get about 7-10 votes in the Brownlow. That suggests he is probably not in the league's top 20 (which I might use as a working def of elite). Still, I would be happy with more very good players like Steele.
Two more flags before I die!