Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Delisted Free Agents

Not a lot to get excited about but Markov surprised so you never know.

Jeka
Bonner
Hately
O'Brien
Flagpies
Newelly
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

Kingsofclutch wrote:Delisted Free Agents

Jeka
Bonner
Hately
O'Brien
I originally thought Jeka might have some value for his height up forward. Not particularly big bodied though. Would only pinch hit.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Presti35 »

Kingsofclutch wrote:Delisted Free Agents

Jeka
Bonner
Hately
O'Brien
Jackson Hately is one DFA that interests me. The worrying sign is that he walked out on GWS to go home to SA and the Crows have now delisted him. So he's been let go by 2 clubs without much fuss. He is a 191cm hard bodied mid. Was pick 14 in 2018 draft and has just turned 23. Is there an injury history? Is he not up to it? https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ately.html

I think Riley Bonner might get looked at. 26, 190cm Defender/Mid. In and out of Ports team this year, but a regular the 2 seasons prior. His numbers for this season were not great compared to previous seasons; https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... onner.html

We were linked to Lochie O'Brien a couple of seasons ago. 185cm, 24yo mid that isnt filling an urgent need for the list. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Brien.html

Emerson Jeka looks the part. But something doesnt seem right. 198cm, 22yo Key Forward. Hawks tried him in defence in the VFL after loss of form in front of the sticks. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... _Jeka.html

Jacob Edwards was all the rage at the mid-season draft. Went pick 1 to North. No games and delisted. What happened there? Also what is Will Goulds story? Brodie McLaughlin was the top goal scorer in the VFL, helped them lead the way to the VFL flag as a 193cm Key Forward. And there is that guy from It's A Wonderful Life.

Still a few more delistings to come. Scott Lycett will get some attention as a backup ruckman.
Last edited by Presti35 on Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Presti35 wrote: Jackson Hately is one DFA that interests me. The worrying sign is that he walked out on GWS to go home to SA and the Crows have now delisted him. So he's been let go by 2 clubs without much fuss. He is a 191cm hard bodied mid. Was pick 14 in 2018 draft and has just turned 23. Is there an injury history?
Not sure about injuries, had a groin early in his career but he's played 5 seasons for 1 game this year, 11, 3, 6 and 7 games previous 4 seasons. Just doesn't get on the park.
Flagpies
Pep

Post by Pep »

John Ralph posted this from his X account

Every AFL side's biggest free agent in 2024:

• Adelaide: Ben Keays/Taylor Walker
• Brisbane: Hugh McCluggage
• Carlton: Caleb Marchbank
• Collingwood: Steele Sidebottom
• Essendon: Andrew McGrath
• Fremantle: Sean Darcy
• Geelong: Tom Stewart (in talks tor re-sign)
• Gold Coast: Jarrod Witts
• GWS: Nick Haynes
• Hawthorn: Luke Breust
• Melbourne: Jake Melksham
• North Melbourne: Cam Zurhaar
• Port Adelaide: Todd Marshall
• Richmond: Dustin Martin
• St Kilda: Seb Ross
• Sydney: Ollie Florent/Will Hayward
• West Coast: Elliot Yeo
• WB: Tim English
Newelly
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

Hugh Nick McCluggage might be the best on she basis
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Newelly wrote:Hugh Nick McCluggage might be the best on she basis
McCluggage yes, however Marshall would also be a handy pickup
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Martin, Stewart and Sidebottom would be handy pickups - but only if you wanted to win a flag, otherwise McCluggage's penchant for coming second would certainly be attractive.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Tim English!

Mason will be just about done, I'd reckon
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ What, so Grundy can get the 3 Brownlow votes every time we play Sydney?
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Brodie Mihochek spent some years in the vfl, so did Schultz. They are out there, if you can pick em
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ What, so Grundy can get the 3 Brownlow votes every time we play Sydney?
Are you stuck on the Tim English of what, 3 or 4 years ago, or the Tim English that was all-Australian this year?
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Was interesting listening to Wrighty talk about Lachie Schultz on trade radio on Monday arvo. He said the pies were looking at Schultz during the year as a free agent from the 2024 and 2025 years and rated Schultz as one of the best if not the best candidates of that list.

We don't always see what the Wrighty sees. With our over 30 crew moving on very soon we'd be wise to cash up for at least one of these FAs each year over the next few seasons, especially given our draft exodus next year, future concessions to North and the looming Tasmania draft selection pool coming.

I'm not sure about John Ralph's biggest FA list though. A lot of oldies on that list and not many first time FA's in a good age bracket. McLuggage and McGrath may not be such a bad bet with a lot of longevity plus will add depth to our player surnames starting with M. Todd Marshall could interest as a one trick forward but doesn't have much versatility other than the M. Sean Darcy could be a big target for many clubs, can't see us wanting to overpay another ruck like English though. Ollie Florent a better pick out of Sydney than Hayward for me as Hayward goes missing for big chunks of time.

With Darcy on this list would Schultz have made it? I don't know Ralph would look for that headline and suggests to me there may be far greater FA value in the next rung down.

We might get better value out of a Liam Duggan (WC), Jack Sinclair (StK), Liam Baker (R), Jy Simpkin (NM), Blake Hardwick (H), Isaac Cumming (GWS), Ben Ainsworth (GC) or a Brennan Cox (F)
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:^ What, so Grundy can get the 3 Brownlow votes every time we play Sydney?
Are you stuck on the Tim English of what, 3 or 4 years ago, or the Tim English that was all-Australian this year?
Go back and have a look at him rucking against Melbourne. Same old, same old. He's never been much good - it's a bit lucky for him that ruck is a spot where most of the players are about as useless as each other. He is an all-Australian like Woewodin is a Brownlow Medallist.