Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 93 times

Post by RudeBoy »

If Kelly is retained, then hopefully he can step up and become a good defender. So far, he has been disappointing, but if Wright and Fly have decided not to delist him, then this suggests they believe he still has some promise.
Newelly
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

RudeBoy wrote:If Kelly is retained, then hopefully he can step up and become a good defender. So far, he has been disappointing, but if Wright and Fly have decided not to delist him, then this suggests they believe he still has some promise.
I had hinted at the potential for nepotism given his father's position at the club BUT viewing his height and weight he is a chip off the old block and can possibly fill a key defensive role with good one on one capability. We might not get the longevity out of him that we did with senior but we just hope for a few good seasons as it stands.
Last edited by Newelly on Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^ No reson Wil Kelly can't have longevity if he breaks into the team based on merit.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

a future first for Lachie as well as 34 was overs IMO.
But lets get another minor premiership and give them the worst first rounder as possible :)
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

piffdog wrote:What happens with Dean? Does he need to come back into the list?
Markov took his spot as a rookie and Murley (rookie) was delisted so there's a spot built in for him already.
Flagpies
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Newelly wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:If Kelly is retained, then hopefully he can step up and become a good defender. So far, he has been disappointing, but if Wright and Fly have decided not to delist him, then this suggests they believe he still has some promise.
I had hinted at the potential for nepotism given his father's position at the club BUT viewing his height and weight he is a chip off the old block and can possibly fill a key defensive role with good one on one capability. We might not get the longevity out of him that we did with senior but we just hope for a few good seasons as it stand.
Both he and Begg are uncontracted but Begg is waiting on that rule that allows an extra year for mid season rookies and looks like it will go through. Will is taking up a senior spot and as the only uncontracted senior player I'd say his number was up until we ran into trouble landing a key back (damn you Himmelberg, was UFA too, a free hit for quality) he'd still be nervous but unless Wrighty finds one he's probably got one last chance.
Flagpies
BazBoy
Been liked: 38 times

Post by BazBoy »

The landscape according to the footy media is bare going forward

Will Wright pull some one out before 6pm Wednesday????
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
jonmac1954
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

BazBoy wrote:The landscape according to the footy media is bare going forward

Will Wright pull some one out before 6pm Wednesday????
Doesn't look likely though as he said in an interview after Lachie landed (forget which interview) you can never tell what might pop up at the last minute.
BazBoy
Been liked: 38 times

Post by BazBoy »

Well we have then done well in then. He turns 26 in 44 days

All things going well at least half a dozen seasons in Black and White

Fair chance to give a young Aus Kick kid a hand shake and cap
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

Newelly wrote:
I had hinted at the potential for nepotism given his father's position at the club BUT viewing his height and weight he is a chip off the old block and can possibly fill a key defensive role with good one on one capability.
We might not get the longevity out of him that we did with senior but we just hope for a few good seasons as it stands.
His appearances in 2023 were solid, serviceable, and with minimal turnovers.
He's not costing us much, so totally worth persevering with, as long as his frame holds up. No reason to put a line through him in near future.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Jungle drums are beating out Clurey for 19 moving to 25, I'd question the quality but we just turned Frampton into a premiership player so I'll shut up.
Flagpies
piedys

Post by piedys »

Kingsofclutch wrote:Jungle drums are beating out Clurey for 19 moving to 25, I'd question the quality but we just turned Frampton into a premiership player so I'll shut up.
Frampton's a premiership player by accident, not design, and unfortunately - McStay isn't.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

piedys wrote:^
Yeah fate had no sense of destiny that day, winning a flag against your old mob would have been the icing.
Flagpies
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

But there was a design to have someone like Billy F available if there was an issue with the other talls - which there was.
piedys

Post by piedys »

Kingsofclutch wrote:
piedys wrote: Frampton's a premiership player by accident, not design, and unfortunately - McStay isn't.
Yeah fate had no sense of destiny that day, winning a flag against your old mob would have been the icing.
I now term it "Luke Ball Syndrome..."; a bitter-sweet victory....
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:But there was a design to have someone like Billy F available if there was an issue with the other talls - which there was.
Absolutely, he was recruited as an insurance policy, and it paid dividends.

However, in a perfect world [which we have never lived in...], he would have been spectating on the day, not participating. McStay was effectively injury-free in his time at Brisbane; unbelievable.