Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 93 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Magpie Russ wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:Billings will be in the black and white next year almost 100%…maybe change of scenery will reinvigorate him and will live up to his potential….as we know a highly rated schoolboy (mates with De Goey and Moore) who went pick 3 in same draft that Bontempelli went 4 but has underachieved significantly….free hit really. Would cost us nothing except for outdated contract $$$ but just might end up being another masterstroke that helps us to #17
Still trying to rectify that draft. Scharenberg, Freeman, Aish.
Me too. Reckon it set back our Premiership window by about 5 yrs.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Yeah…hearing you fellas…Maybe karma is coming back our way this time and if we do end up get Billings he has a stellar latter part of his career…logically of this was to eventuate and he lived up to his potential would be a fortifying of our high half forward/mid stocks… you just never know. But, to quote the the irrepressible Monkees “I’m a believer”…”there’s no trace of doubt in my mind”
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Yeah…hearing you fellas…Maybe karma is coming back our way this time and if we do end up get Billings he has a stellar latter part of his career…logically of this was to eventuate and he lived up to his potential would be a fortifying of our high half forward/mid stocks… you just never know. But, to quote the the irrepressible Monkees “I’m a believer”…”there’s no trace of doubt in my mind”
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Anyone know what happened to our 2nd round pick we got from Carlton last year? Seems we traded it out already?
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

bally12 wrote:Anyone know what happened to our 2nd round pick we got from Carlton last year? Seems we traded it out already?
Yeah. Apparently it was an “honest mistake”…Carlscum were forced into it by PwC
Geek

Post by Geek »

bally12 wrote:Anyone know what happened to our 2nd round pick we got from Carlton last year? Seems we traded it out already?
That's our pick #38
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Pick #19 is likely to be #23 on the night and that's a 2nd round selection for mine no matter how the AFL want to categorize it.

It's reasonable Fremantle are asking for more for a player we clearly anticipate to be best 23 for the next 4 or 5 years.

While we've been burned before trading away future selections I have confidence that with Fly at the helm and still only entering his 3rd season as a senior coach his motivation to keep improving himself and the team will remain high.

I'd be comfortable including a future 2nd which if everything goes to plan will end up being a pick in the 30's next year.

Whether anything came back our way outside of Schultz is then up for discussion.

While everyone dreams of that star key forward we showed in 2018 and 23 that you can win or get awfully close to a Premiership without one and tall forwards one rung below the stars like a Mihocek and McStay can be sufficient when surrounded by a quality group of small/medium forward options.

If you don't have a Cameron or a Curnow then it's actually smart business to target players like Hill last season and now Schultz.

While there are exceptions you can generally find quality in the pool of small and medium forward options at far lower cost in terms of trade and salary and for the price of one Naughton we can have 2 if not nearly 3 of Schultz, Hill and McCreery.

They way the game is currently being played or more importantly how we wish to under Fly smalls have never been more capable of exploiting the opposition.

Speed can kill even the best defence and we have a need for speed under Fly.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Geek wrote:
That's our pick #38
Ah that explains it. I saw pick 38 but automatically equated that to our 2nd round pick for this year. Cheers.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

swoop42 wrote:Pick #19 is likely to be #23 on the night and that's a 2nd round selection for mine no matter how the AFL want to categorize it.

It's reasonable Fremantle are asking for more for a player we clearly anticipate to be best 23 for the next 4 or 5 years.

While we've been burned before trading away future selections I have confidence that with Fly at the helm and still only entering his 3rd season as a senior coach his motivation to keep improving himself and the team will remain high.

I'd be comfortable including a future 2nd which if everything goes to plan will end up being a pick in the 30's next year.

Whether anything came back our way outside of Schultz is then up for discussion.

While everyone dreams of that star key forward we showed in 2018 and 23 that you can win or get awfully close to a Premiership without one and tall forwards one rung below the stars like a Mihocek and McStay can be sufficient when surrounded by a quality group of small/medium forward options.

If you don't have a Cameron or a Curnow then it's actually smart business to target players like Hill last season and now Schultz.

While there are exceptions you can generally find quality in the pool of small and medium forward options at far lower cost in terms of trade and salary and for the price of one Naughton we can have 2 if not nearly 3 of Schultz, Hill and McCreery.

They way the game is currently being played or more importantly how we wish to under Fly smalls have never been more capable of exploiting the opposition.

Speed can kill even the best defence and we have a need for speed under Fly.
Spot on Swoop. You get just as many points for kicking a goal when you’re 5’10” as when you’re 6’7”. Schultz has a reputation for applying great pressure defensively too. He would be a wonderful acquisition to the team.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

I've always said I understand the allure of a top rank tall forward but I've never understood the belief by so many that they are essential.

1990 and 2023 are proof positive that this 'truism' is just a lie.

Neither flags were flukes.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Magpie Russ wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:Billings will be in the black and white next year almost 100%…maybe change of scenery will reinvigorate him and will live up to his potential….as we know a highly rated schoolboy (mates with De Goey and Moore) who went pick 3 in same draft that Bontempelli went 4 but has underachieved significantly….free hit really. Would cost us nothing except for outdated contract $$$ but just might end up being another masterstroke that helps us to #17
Still trying to rectify that draft. Scharenberg, Freeman, Aish.
2 years after that draft only 2 players from the top 30 picks hadn't debuted, Schaz and Freeman, two top 10 picks let alone top 30, and trading pick 11 to West Coast who picked Sheed was sheer hazing from the footy gods, never seen a curse draft like it, cost us a flag or two.
Flagpies
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

jonmac1954 wrote:I've always said I understand the allure of a top rank tall forward but I've never understood the belief by so many that they are essential.

Get Schultz!

If McStay played I reckon it would have saved a couple of my nails, if not the defribulator power bills!

He’s not super tall, not super slow, can kick goals, will take a defender. Do it
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
themonk

Post by themonk »

jonmac1954 wrote:I've always said I understand the allure of a top rank tall forward but I've never understood the belief by so many that they are essential.

Lynch & Reiwoldt, Cameron & Hawkins, Darling & Kennedy, Franklin & Roughead, Lynch & Brown, Cloke & Dawes.

Improves ones chances slightly, no?
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

themonk wrote:

Lynch & Reiwoldt, Cameron & Hawkins, Darling & Kennedy, Franklin & Roughead, Lynch & Brown, Cloke & Dawes.

Improves ones chances slightly, no?
No argument about big FF goal kickers mate - However there are certainly enough examples to prove that they aren't essential.
Take_a_Screamer

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Freemantle podcast at Backchat Studios.
Schultz was not loved at Freemantle @ 3:50 Lachie Schultz

0:00 Intro FootyCast Bigger Monday Show No Thursday Show
2:12 Skeeter's Family Chimes in
3:50 Lachie Schultz
10:16 Fremantle Losing Players
15:00 West Coast #1 Pick
21:49 Ben McKay and Free Agency Compensation