#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Hasn't asked for a trade according to Fagan on SEN. Sounds like more Barrett bullshit. Why do we keep listening to that flog?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

The level-headed version:

Beams remains keen to get back to Melbourne

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bea ... 508zd.html

"Collingwood are refusing to comment on reports that Brisbane Lions midfielder Dayne Beams will look to be traded back to Melbourne to play with the Magpies before the end of this year's trade period, although the 28-year-old is understood to be open to the prospect.

The former captain, who joined the Lions at the end of 2014 and is contracted until the end of 2020, has not officially requested a trade from the Lions and has not told key officials that he wants to do so during this trade period.

But it is clear he intends to return to Melbourne when his contract expires in two years and he wants to play for Collingwood."
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

A ball winning midfielder who can go forward and kick goals...don't want him...yeah right whatever!

If the choice was Langdon v Beams, I'd take Beams in a heartbeat. All the naysayers hung up on how he left the club, missing the B&F or his age, get over yourselves, quality is quality. He's got at least 3-5 years left in him. I didn't see Geelong bat an eyelid when Ablett wanted to come home. Sure he's not the GOAT but he will certainly strengthen our team.

That said. I can't see Brisbane giving him away for nothing. He will come at a price and the real question is: how much are we prepared to give up versus an unknown draft pick or two?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

SwansWay wrote:Wellingham got us a late first round pick (#17) from West Coast and he was in top form when he left Collingwood. He was much younger. Our first pick should be enough plus a fringe player, in return for how ever many latish picks we need to keep the required amount of points for our academy and father-son prospects.
Wellingham was only an average player but he was twice as good as Beams. Pick 35 is overs.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:2 Grand Finals for 11 kicks and no goals. This is the way to make the team better.
He played in two grand finals in 2010 as a second year player. Twelve possessions in the first. Eleven possessions in the second.

As an experienced player Sidey just had 14 disposals and no goals.

Apparently its 8 years of experience and 2 or 3 extra possessions in a GF that is the difference between being a superstar and a choker.
You obviously haven't noticed that I haven't defended Sidebottom's Grand Final performance. There may be reasons for that, there may not. I just don't think you bring back a bloke who you know has prior convictions for not turning up to play when it matters.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Raw Hammer wrote:
Dream Still Alive wrote:Simple. Pendlebury moves out of the midfield and becomes an All Australian Half Back
This.

You never say NO to quality players wanting to come to your club.
Agree 100% with this. The problem is we're discussing Beams, who isn't.

I'd rather have Mitch Robinson if we're collecting Brisbane has-beens.
E

Post by E »

P4S. Both you and Qld Magpies are so permanently scarred from your skirmishes re Sidey, Langdon and Beams, neither of you make any sense.

Beams is a terrific footballer, period. Would make any team better (even ours).

If we can gett his in a reasonable deal, we should do it. Can never have too many mids. this truism is only going to get more true in the coming years.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

E wrote:P4S. Both you and Qld Magpies are so permanently scarred from your skirmishes re Sidey, Langdon and Beams, neither of you make any sense.

Beams is a terrific footballer, period. Would make any team better (even ours).

If we can gett his in a reasonable deal, we should do it. Can never have too many mids. this truism is only going to get more true in the coming years.
Yeah, nah. I wanted him out of the place for several years before he left. It would be a genuine tragedy if he came back. Something like that could ruin the Club's culture for a decade.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

The only question I have is why?

Why would Brisbane possibly entertain trading one of their best players who is contracted until the end of 2020 when they're finally looking on the up?

Why would Collingwood waste the little time we have this trade period haggling over a player unlikely to be available for trade?

Thirdly and most importantly why would we want to use the precious little trade currency we have on a midfielder who'll be 29 when next season starts when we have more pressing list needs elsewhere?

Finally I'm surprised we would be interested as I was always under the impression Beams and Buckley didn't exactly see eye to eye, while Beams hasn't exactly enamored himself to the Collingwood faithful in his time with Brisbane has he in regards to reported social media commentary about our club that wasn't overly favourable.

I thought the bridge had been burnt if I'm honest.

The only way I see a possible deal for Beams getting done is if Langdon agrees to join his brother at Fremantle and we send pick 18 to the Dockers also as part of the deal for Neale.

Question is though do we really want to use that currency on Beams?
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Midfield is an area of need. It's where we lost the GF.

Why would Brisbane trade him? Same reason we did: because he doesn't want to be there (assuming reports are true) :?

Beams will be 29 next year but we are in the Premiership window. He was very good this season so bringing him in would make sense. There are some questions to be asked, but all in all the reasons why we'd be interested are obvious.
Last edited by AN_Inkling on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well done boys!
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Pies4shaw wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:2 Grand Finals for 11 kicks and no goals. This is the way to make the team better.
He played in two grand finals in 2010 as a second year player. Twelve possessions in the first. Eleven possessions in the second.

As an experienced player Sidey just had 14 disposals and no goals.

Apparently its 8 years of experience and 2 or 3 extra possessions in a GF that is the difference between being a superstar and a choker.
You obviously haven't noticed that I haven't defended Sidebottom's Grand Final performance. There may be reasons for that, there may not. I just don't think you bring back a bloke who you know has prior convictions for not turning up to play when it matters.
You have missed the point that I was making.

Sidey's performance doesn't need to be defended. He is an outstanding player that had a bad game. Similarly, Beams wan't great in the 2010 GF's but he is a different player now. He is not what he was then.

Did he knock you back for an autograph at some stage?
mosig

Post by mosig »

Did we trade Beams to Brisbane in exchange for De Goey, Crisp, Greenwood

and

wait for it

Beams
Geek

Post by Geek »

swoop42 wrote:The only question I have is why?

Why would Brisbane possibly entertain trading one of their best players who is contracted until the end of 2020 when they're finally looking on the up?

Why would Collingwood waste the little time we have this trade period haggling over a player unlikely to be available for trade?

Thirdly and most importantly why would we want to use the precious little trade currency we have on a midfielder who'll be 29 when next season starts when we have more pressing list needs elsewhere?

Finally I'm surprised we would be interested as I was always under the impression Beams and Buckley didn't exactly see eye to eye, while Beams hasn't exactly enamored himself to the Collingwood faithful in his time with Brisbane has he in regards to reported social media commentary about our club that wasn't overly favourable.

I thought the bridge had been burnt if I'm honest.

The only way I see a possible deal for Beams getting done is if Langdon agrees to join his brother at Fremantle and we send pick 18 to the Dockers also as part of the deal for Neale.

Question is though do we really want to use that currency on Beams?
I agree with everything except the bolded bit.

We shouldn't have to pay Freo to redress the imbalance here. Langdon for Beams does not work for me at all. Giving up a 24 year old versatile backman who is just coming into his own and who has just played out a monster finals series for a banged up 29 year old midfielder who is starting his decline means that someone out there owes US steak knives.

Brisbane is losing said beaten up midfielder for one who just won his 2nd B&F, is 3 years younger and is in many statistical measures a more superior player.

Freo gains the versatile backman coming into his prime, while losing their premier inside mid. They will want some sort of recompense, even though they have Cerra and Brayshaw in the wings, looking to help out Fyfe and co.

Again.. someone owes us some sugar in this player swap.

We are getting into Carlton 2007/8 territory here. A phalanx of midfielders and not enough to kick it to. I recall that West Coast broke their hearts by less than a kick too (with help from the maggots).
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Not enough to kick it to? Our forward line was great this year.

West Coast beat us in the midfield three times this season. Our forwards did well for the supply they had, our defence held up well given the number of clean entries. Our mids did not standup for 4 quarters in any of the three games. There is clear need for improvement, either in personnel or planning there.
Well done boys!