Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by piffdog »

piedys wrote:
piffdog wrote:Glad we’re not dealing with Geelong again this year. Fancy not having a contract for Ratagolea but telling Port that pick #25 wasn’t good enough. I hope walks to Port for nothing.

I reckon we can add Mackie into the list of a grade you know what’s alongside Dodo-roro and Napoleon Bell at Freo…
Mr.Mackie; mmmmkaaaayyyyyyy.....

Placing yourself into ND or PSD is fraught with danger; you really must sit down with destination club of choice and nominate an over-inflated first year figure to cap-deter any potential lurkers who might attempt to snaffle you first...
You’re right - it’s never as simple as that, and there’s clearly a risk if he walks someone else snags him before port get their pick. Still don’t like Mackie.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Pies2016 wrote:The club may also want to keep one senior spot open for an opportunity in the MSD. The MSD has been very kind to Collingwood, although this time around we would obviously be the last selection in the upcoming one.
Isn’t the MSD order cut from the ladder in the round before the draft/before the byes start?
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

piffdog wrote:
Pies2016 wrote: The club may also want to keep one senior spot open for an opportunity in the MSD. The MSD has been very kind to Collingwood, although this time around we would obviously be the last selection in the upcoming one.
Isn’t the MSD order cut from the ladder in the round before the draft/before the byes start?
Correct. Just getting ahead of myself for 2024
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Assuming we get Shultz, we're going to have a shit draft hand. It's already shit but will be real crap.

I can only assume that we think we have enough young talent on the list , maybe have one speculative pick, upgrade a rookie or 2 and go to the pre season sup again.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

stui magpie wrote:Assuming we get Shultz, we're going to have a shit draft hand. It's already shit but will be real crap.

I can only assume that we think we have enough young talent on the list , maybe have one speculative pick, upgrade a rookie or 2 and go to the pre season sup again.
Shultz is a sure thing and in a couple of positions of need that he can play.

Far better that than casting our net in hope at the draft.
BazBoy
Been liked: 38 times

Post by BazBoy »

Article I read. We have a mild interest in 28yr old Saint. Jack Billings
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

stui magpie wrote:Assuming we get Shultz, we're going to have a shit draft hand. It's already shit but will be real crap.

The word from nameless, faceless sources is that Wright is working on a key defender as well, no clues were offered.
Flagpies
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Kingsofclutch wrote:

The word from nameless, faceless sources is that Wright is working on a key defender as well, no clues were offered.
Ah, thanks KoC (unfortunate abbreviation)…that pretty much tells us nothing and also something pretty much everyone in the footy media and all of us have been speculating ever since Wrighty came home, all at once
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

jonmac1954 wrote:

Shultz is a sure thing and in a couple of positions of need that he can play.

Far better that than casting our net in hope at the draft.
Agreed. Known commodities like Sargent Schulz when you’re well and truly in the window is much more effective than speculating on talent that may never eventuate. That said, there’s still quite a few diamond in the rough late pick bargains out there ala Swannie 58, Larkey 78, Robbie Gray 55, Luke Parker 40, Mihocek, Tom Stewart picked up in rookie draft after being overlooked several times in draft…just need to think laterally and look smarter and wider.

I’m the most confident I’ve ever been in the last forty years in our recruitment and team management strategy
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Said by Zed wrote:
Kingsofclutch wrote:

Ah, thanks KoC (unfortunate abbreviation)…that pretty much tells us nothing and also something pretty much everyone in the footy media and all of us have been speculating ever since Wrighty came home, all at once
I like the way the lower case o highlights the C, but I digress, even more nameless and faceless shadows are now whispering Dougal Dougal like a mantra, it's obviously some magical incantation to conjure a key defender but will he answer our prayers? Stay tuned viewers.
Flagpies
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

On other quarters I am hearing whispers of Jamarra Ugle Ugle for next year. Also nameless and facelsss of course and so likely utter garbage.

Both he and King out of contract at end of 2024. We also know the biggest deals don’t happen in 6 weeks they often play out over 18-24 months. Could that be a potential impediment of letting go of next years first rounder (ie that we’ll want to use it in a bigger trade?)
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Brodie Grundy’s salary will be paid by the Sydney Swans & Collingwood FC, as expected.
Melbourne FC will not pay a cent. Grundy’s contracted until the end of 2027.

Wow, we pay for part of Grundy's salary for another fkn 4 years!

Pies' salary twist in Grundy deal as ruckman reunites with Adams at Sydney
https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/10/11/p ... at-sydney/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Brodie Grundy’s salary will be paid by the Sydney Swans & Collingwood FC, as expected.
Melbourne FC will not pay a cent. Grundy’s contracted until the end of 2027.

Wow, we pay for part of Grundy's salary for another fkn 4 years!

Pies' salary twist in Grundy deal as ruckman reunites with Adams at Sydney
https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/10/11/p ... at-sydney/
It’s f’n cow manure. Grundy made the choice to move to Sydney, surely that changes the situation.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

As we said, that was always going to happen if the agreement to leave the Pies was directly with Grundy himself.

I hope it keeps him quiet and content, and he shows all the comparative complacency of the last 12 months...
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

piffdog wrote:On other quarters I am hearing whispers of Jamarra Ugle Ugle for next year. Also nameless and facelsss of course and so likely utter garbage.

Both he and King out of contract at end of 2024. We also know the biggest deals don’t happen in 6 weeks they often play out over 18-24 months. Could that be a potential impediment of letting go of next years first rounder (ie that we’ll want to use it in a bigger trade?)
How could we afford him???
Are we talking about going after him in next year's draft.
Or are we talking about snaring him in this year's intake.
Got no picks, and probably no money or trade bait.