Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

LaurieHolden wrote:Lochie O'Brien is among three players delisted by Carlton.

O'Brien, taken with pick No.10 in the 2017 draft, leaves the Blues after playing 66 games in six seasons, including six in 2023.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... ie-o-brien

Lachie O’Brien has spoken to Collingwood in regards to a possible move as a delisted free agent. Collingwood were keen in 2020 and Brendan Bolton sees him as an Oleg Markov mk 2.
Source :
https://x.com/IncrediblyBozza/status/17 ... 10098?s=20

Lochie O’Brien is a professional Australian rules footballer who currently plays for Carlton Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). However, there have been reports that Collingwood Football Club is interested in acquiring him 2., 3.
2. https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/collingw ... -c-1560436
3. https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-trade-ne ... 021-69709/
Source :
ChatGPT4 (albeit from 2020 stories, so nothing current.

No doubt Bolton has the insight here. Might just be worth a rookie punt.

If anything, it's very important we take the opportunity to do everything we can do to play 100 games with Collingwood and rub Carlton's nose in it!

Then again, if he had untapped potential, I would have thought SOS might have looked at him to join the Saints.
Wasn't he one of the Carlton players who stuffed up their forward entries in the dying minutes of the Round 23 match last year by kicking it straight to our defence? Obviously not saying that players should be judged on one thing they did, but if so I guess I just hope his decisionmaking skills have improved in the past twelve months!

(Edit: I just checked some highlights and may be misremembering. Sorry! :oops:)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by piffdog »

Glad we’re not dealing with Geelong again this year. Fancy not having a contract for Ratagolea but telling Port that pick #25 wasn’t good enough. I hope walks to Port for nothing.

I reckon we can add Mackie into the list of a grade you know what’s alongside Dodo-roro and Napoleon Bell at Freo…
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^that was Durdin. We should forever thank him for that.
O'Brien's kicking from what I can recall was always his Achilles heel that hasn't allowed him to fulfill his draft pick potential.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

piffdog wrote:Glad we’re not dealing with Geelong again this year. Fancy not having a contract for Ratagolea but telling Port that pick #25 wasn’t good enough. I hope walks to Port for nothing.

I reckon we can add Mackie into the list of a grade you know what’s alongside Dodo-roro and Napoleon Bell at Freo…
Mr.Mackie; mmmmkaaaayyyyyyy.....

Placing yourself into ND or PSD is fraught with danger; you really must sit down with destination club of choice and nominate an over-inflated first year figure to cap-deter any potential lurkers who might attempt to snaffle you first...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

piffdog wrote:Glad we’re not dealing with Geelong again this year. Fancy not having a contract for Ratagolea but telling Port that pick #25 wasn’t good enough. I hope walks to Port for nothing.

Unbelievable the price they’re demanding for Rata, you’d think he was Nick Daicos.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pies2016 wrote:Schultz is a fine player at his role and that’s why we should prepare to part with more than #19 to get this deal done. Right now ( after Jordon Croft nominated the Bulldogs under F / S rules ) pick #19 will be something closer to #24 on the night. That’s not enough for a player who should manage around 40 goals every year for the next five years ( injury aside )

We may part with our future first and that should be close to enough because there won’t be as much action in the way of compensation and academy selections next year ( but there will be two early F / S selections ) From Freo’s view point, anything less than Pies going back to back should be enough for them to feel like a future first round trade is a fair outcome.
As it stands, we go into the draft with picks 19 (948), 33 (563), 38 (465) for a total of 1,976 points. The balance of picks, 79 and 97 hold no point value.
AFL rules force clubs to use three picks at the national draft but these spots can also be filled by upgraded rookies or by clubs re-selecting delisted players if they choose.

So, might that mean we upgrade Johnson and Markov with picks 79 and 97? Maybe Carmichael gets upgraded.

With pick 19 or our future 1st + 33, might this be sufficient to secure Schultz?
I suspect Freo would roll the dice that we don't finish top again, hence future 1st being higher than pick 19 before F/S or Academy bids.

That would see our 3 picks done, leaving us with 33 and 38 or 1,028 points. Hardly a strong hand, but might these be offloaded for a future 2nd?

I'd like to see a few spots left open for pre-season delisted pick or MSD.

I guess it's a bit like doing the ad nauseam Best 22 post, you can cut and dice this any number of ways.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

I was surprised Schulz is so expensive when I looked at my fantasy page, our forwards: Checkers McStay Hill McCreery Wilbur sit in the mid to late 400's with Billy the exception at mid 500's and Ginny in the 300's.
Schulz costs 735,000. :shock:
Flagpies
jonmac1954
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:Schultz is a fine player at his role and that’s why we should prepare to part with more than #19 to get this deal done. Right now ( after Jordon Croft nominated the Bulldogs under F / S rules ) pick #19 will be something closer to #24 on the night. That’s not enough for a player who should manage around 40 goals every year for the next five years ( injury aside )

We may part with our future first and that should be close to enough because there won’t be as much action in the way of compensation and academy selections next year ( but there will be two early F / S selections ) From Freo’s view point, anything less than Pies going back to back should be enough for them to feel like a future first round trade is a fair outcome.
As it stands, we go into the draft with picks 19 (948), 33 (563), 38 (465) for a total of 1,976 points. The balance of picks, 79 and 97 hold no point value.
AFL rules force clubs to use three picks at the national draft but these spots can also be filled by upgraded rookies or by clubs re-selecting delisted players if they choose.

So, might that mean we upgrade Johnson and Markov with picks 79 and 97? Maybe Carmichael gets upgraded.

With pick 19 or our future 1st + 33, might this be sufficient to secure Schultz?
I suspect Freo would roll the dice that we don't finish top again, hence future 1st being higher than pick 19 before F/S or Academy bids.

That would see our 3 picks done, leaving us with 33 and 38 or 1,028 points. Hardly a strong hand, but might these be offloaded for a future 2nd?

I'd like to see a few spots left open for pre-season delisted pick or mid-season rookie draft pick.

I guess it's a bit like doing the ad nauseam Best 22 post, you can cut and dice this any number of ways.
Yeah the reigning premier doesn't get a great hand IMHO it would be better to spend most of our points on a single sure thing that will add to our list than to shoot the wad in a scatter gun approach.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

I reckon the 3rd club we dealt with to get Schulz over the line was Hawthorn for Brockman to Freo, sounds like we didn't have anything they liked, wonder if they asked for Ginny and we said no?
Flagpies
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:

Unbelievable the price they’re demanding for Rata, you’d think he was Nick Daicos.
True Mr M but that's just the pussie's all over.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

LaurieHolden wrote:

I'd like to see a few spots left open for pre-season delisted pick or mid-season rookie draft pick.

L H, you’re spot on with your last comment. These deals can be sliced and diced in so many different ways. Just a couple points to remember when you’re talking late selections. Pick 79 will probably be around pick 50 odd on the night ( best guess ) as all the passes start coming in the third round.
Generally, there’s also a reluctance to add rookies onto the senior list unless necessary because there is a significant salary percentage that isnt factored in to the salary cap. Most rookies who make it are generally elevated when the rules don’t allow them to stay on the rookie list any longer. Elevating our rookies will more likely depend on the value of their contract than the need to fill one more spot on the draft night.
Also, pretty sure the latest rules, which are hard to keep up with, means you can now promote rookies onto senior list without going through the draft ( you just need a spot available on the senior list at the time )
The club may also want to keep one senior spot open for an opportunity in the MSD. The MSD has been very kind to Collingwood, although this time around we would obviously be the last selection in the upcoming one.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take_a_Screamer

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Couple of good articles about Lachie Shultz...

Departing Docker’s frustrating contract saga and the Victorian club he was “pretty close” to joining
https://www.zerohanger.com/departing-do ... ng-144540/

How will Lachie Schultz impact Collingwood’s forward line formation?
https://www.zerohanger.com/how-will-lac ... on-144535/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Sounds like we need to offer something to Hawthorn to seal the Brockman deal and we'll snag Schulz.
Flagpies
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Kingsofclutch wrote:SEN just said Collingwood are talking to JUH. :shock:
Collingwood have been into him for over 12 months and I posted the story in the Carringbush rumour file in the middle of 2022 ( page 33 )
His circumstances have now changed 12 months on, in that he’s knuckled right down and is now showing his true potential. What might have once been a bargain trade because he wasn’t both happy there or applying himself, is now virtually a player we couldn’t afford in terms of the trade or the contract ( not this year, anyway ) Having said that, any club with all of Naughton, Lobb, Darcy and J U H commanding big dollars and playing similar roles, may need to re access their futures at some stage down the track.
BazBoy
Been liked: 38 times

Post by BazBoy »

An offer of pick 19 to Freo for Shultz but still need a bit (not sure what) to get it over the line
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right