Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by derkd »

The reality is with/if Schultz comes in someone heads out...be it Ginnivan or that Jamie is now 30+ and injuries have been an issue.

Only other thing I would add is that the whack that Mcare gave Ginni post Grand Final,sounded like: 'kid let me give you some advice on your way out the door, you want to have a career in this industry...grow up".

That is my read, the club could have come out and said Ginnivan is off the table...yet to hear it...

As I said in the romour file ..my sources suggest he has been 'asked by the club if he is interested in playing at Punt road....could be a different club...maybe this discussion has not been had in that manor, either way I have that feel he will be elsewhere come 2024.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by piffdog »

LaurieHolden wrote:^
According to AFL Tables, 21 y/o Cameron Fleeton was drafted at #58 by the Giants in 2020 and has played a total of two games, both in the 2023 season.
Fleeton is a general defender with a height of 192 cm and weight of 89 kg.
He was delisted by the Giants after their preliminary final exit.
Does this mean that you can either contract him now (assuming you want some depth), but more likely pick him up in the pre-season or rookie draft?

We have 5 + Adams going out (likely) so call it 6, we have to draft 3 (I think I heard Wrighty say that on the radio) and let’s assume Schultz coming in. There will still be a couple spots on the list for a depth/development player who will cost minimum wage.

Cleary I hope Murph is fine, and secondary to that, we have persisted with Dean and I hope he gets a look in. Barring all that, a good sized, inexpensive, project player in general defence wouldn’t be a bad thing to add IMO.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Culprit
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Culprit »

"Lachie Schultz looking at a five-year offer from the Pies - four years plus a trigger for a fifth. Has family pull back to Victoria but Freo's trade price will be high. If Pies secured pick 25 from Swans for Taylor Adams it would give them No.19, 25 & 38 to play with". Cal Twoomey.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I asked Schultz but he said, “I know nothing!”
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Culprit wrote:"Lachie Schultz looking at a five-year offer from the Pies - four years plus a trigger for a fifth. Has family pull back to Victoria but Freo's trade price will be high. If Pies secured pick 25 from Swans for Taylor Adams it would give them No.19, 25 & 38 to play with". Cal Twoomey.
I'm pretty sure that Hawthorn got pick 19 as compensation for Franklin. Jusxt saying.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

Mr Miyagi wrote:I asked Schultz but he said, “I know nothing!”
Brilliant!

Maybe we should go after Jesse Hogan to make this work properly!
I think therefore I think - I think
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Irrespective of what happens with Schultz, I think this time of year is very instructive on club culture and attitude.

I don’t mind if we don’t mind if we do t het the guy, but what piqued my interest is the commentary from “Napoleon” Bell who runs Freo. So they think so much of Schultz they rookied him and despite being a very strong contributor (as evidenced by B&F finishes) didn’t have a conventional contract extension but rather relied on games triggers to give him just one more year (next year).

Bell has gone on radio yesterday and said “he’s contracted and the most likely outcome is he’s playing for us next year”. Then for Bell to come on radio and subtly say “he’s a rat, we have been working in good faith on a contract extension and now he wants to leave - I’m gob smacked!” How on earth do you expect your players to give their all to the club when you come out and white ant them in public like this? They held Lobb against his wishes and he did nothing for them in the year he stayed.

Yes - I understand there is a contract and I actually accept the argument that if he wants to come back to Melbourne he should be open to playing for any Vic clubs, it to dick a guy around on a contract when they’re clearly available contributor and then subtly pot the to have the gall to consider leaving is just rubbish behaviour.

To round out my point, I contrast the way Wrighty seems to go about it. I’m sure there are hard conversations behind closed doors, but all he has said publicly about Adams is “we’d like him to stay, he has asked to be traded so we’ll see if we can make something g work for all parties”. No need for the chest-thumping or pot shots (remember - the player needs to come back and feel welcome if a deal cannot be done). Just a simple “we’ll be working through it and see where it all comes out” is all that’s required.

PS there is a great list comparing the players who have been traded out of freo vs west coast for the last 5 years or so. Now west coast have their own problems, but Freo a revolving door of talent.
lihei
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

think better wrote:
Brilliant!

Touche!
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

think better wrote:
Brilliant!

We already have Le Beau. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

stui magpie wrote:
think better wrote:
Brilliant!

We already have Le Beau. :wink:
We’re pretty good at great escapes too!
themonk

Post by themonk »

piffdog wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:^
According to AFL Tables, 21 y/o Cameron Fleeton was drafted at #58 by the Giants in 2020 and has played a total of two games, both in the 2023 season.
Fleeton is a general defender with a height of 192 cm and weight of 89 kg.
He was delisted by the Giants after their preliminary final exit.
Does this mean that you can either contract him now (assuming you want some depth), but more likely pick him up in the pre-season or rookie draft?

We have 5 + Adams going out (likely) so call it 6, we have to draft 3 (I think I heard Wrighty say that on the radio) and let’s assume Schultz coming in. There will still be a couple spots on the list for a depth/development player who will cost minimum wage.

Cleary I hope Murph is fine, and secondary to that, we have persisted with Dean and I hope he gets a look in. Barring all that, a good sized, inexpensive, project player in general defence wouldn’t be a bad thing to add IMO.
defintely worth looking at, young, good size & a decent intercept mark
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Sounds like we have offered our first rounder to Freo for Schultz. Objectively that seems reasonable. He’s been good for them, but he’s hardly on a long term, high dollar deal at present…

(This was on the fox footy website)
bucking awesome
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bucking awesome »

I just dont get the hatred for the Pies in the media. Tom Morris on SEN said that pick 19 for Schultz isnt enough because he is contracted yet in the very same sentence he goes on to say pick 25 for Taylor Adams is too much because even though he is contracted he is older

Adams has delivered much much more than Schultz. Factoring in his age v output I would say pick 25 for Adams that then goes to Freo is about right. I could probably live with pick 19 going and keeping pick 25 from Sydney given after all the academy kids are picked up both picks will be lower - its unlikely there will be a superstar at wither or those picks in the draft.

Some balanced reporting might be nice though
Painful frustrating disappointing exhilarating and unbelievably awesome. - That's a Collingwood life through and through
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 54 times

Post by warburton lad »

Adams to Sydney for Pick 25

Pick 25 to Freo for Schultz

Use pick 19 to draft Archer Reid (Gippsland Power) 203cms and 89kgs power forward.

Acquire Fleeton from GWS (delisted 21 year old 192cms and 89kgs) left-footed intercept defender prior to draft...

OFF- Bianco, Ruscoe, Draper, Adams, Murley and Tom Wilson

In- Fleeton, Schulz and three draftees plus one rookie...

(wouldn't be surprised at all if Ruscoe is redrafted as a rookie - if Murphy retires
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

warburton lad wrote:Adams to Sydney for Pick 25

Pick 25 to Freo for Schultz

Use pick 19 to draft Archer Reid (Gippsland Power) 203cms and 89kgs power forward.

Acquire Fleeton from GWS (delisted 21 year old 192cms and 89kgs) left-footed intercept defender prior to draft...

OFF- Bianco, Ruscoe, Draper, Adams, Murley and Tom Wilson

In- Fleeton, Schulz and three draftees plus one rookie...

(wouldn't be surprised at all if Ruscoe is redrafted as a rookie - if Murphy retires
Interesting picks. I like the trade line. Wrighty mentioned none of the delisted pies would be rookied but yeah that could change re Murphy. I hope that he can play on and is able to take some more action to look after himself better in collisions. Headgear etc like Brayshaw is in his interest as a minimum but we can still see that doesn't always protect you in a head knock.

Wrighty also mentioned he had a couple of things on the boil. Is Fleeton the other one? I hadn't heard about that apart from here on Nick's
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark