What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by stui magpie »

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Pretty good flick, I laughed.

I AM GROOT :shock: :mrgreen:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

stui magpie wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy.

Pretty good flick, I laughed.

I AM GROOT :shock: :mrgreen:
Watched that with my daughter a couple of days ago. Great comic book/action movie. Looking forward to the sequel.

*Spoiler Alert*

Love the dancing mini-groot at the end. I want one.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Me too.

Had to love the affection that a raccoon had for a tree. :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

The Babadook

Biggest load of pseudo-intellectual shit I've ever seen. A horror movie with no scares, a thriller devoid of thrills. It's a long, slow, tense build up with no pay off and a really shitty 'monster' that belongs back in the 70s.

There is some food for thought, but ultimately the allegory is obvious and uninspiring. Critics of course have gone nuts for this movie, and anyone who dares to point out the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes is lambasted and ridiculed, but seriously, the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

I give it a 4/10, there were some decent performances from the two lead actors and I suppose for a movie filmed almost entirely on a sound stage it looks alright (shitty special effects aside). David will probably love it though :lol:
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Haha, think I'll give it a miss

Watch the lovely bones, really good, the lead young girl is mesmerising
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Had a look at the latest version of TMNT.

Wasn't bad but I preferred the previous version (s)

Cowabunga Dudes
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Wokko wrote:The Babadook

Biggest load of pseudo-intellectual shit I've ever seen. A horror movie with no scares, a thriller devoid of thrills. It's a long, slow, tense build up with no pay off and a really shitty 'monster' that belongs back in the 70s.

There is some food for thought, but ultimately the allegory is obvious and uninspiring. Critics of course have gone nuts for this movie, and anyone who dares to point out the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes is lambasted and ridiculed, but seriously, the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

I give it a 4/10, there were some decent performances from the two lead actors and I suppose for a movie filmed almost entirely on a sound stage it looks alright (shitty special effects aside). David will probably love it though :lol:
After that description I'm sure baby number 2 is on it's way!
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Heh, thanks. I hold a certain level of contempt for films that are pumped up by critics who are little more intelligent than the average film viewer but like to think they are. I love an allegorical tale, I love metaphor and hidden meanings but Starship Troopers was more subtle than this one (and I mean that somewhat seriously, that movie is deeper than it looks). Reading critical reviews, it's like their sudden epiphany that the movie is about mental illness and repression makes them some kind of philosophical genius and anyone who dislikes the film is a pleb who just doesn't get it.

Also watched The Quiet Ones, another horror movie. Also a bit shit, but shit in a generic bump in the dark, occult stereotype kind of way. Think I'll give the horror genre a miss for a while, don't think there's been a decent one since the 80's :lol:
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mad Dogs and Englishmen.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:Heh, thanks. I hold a certain level of contempt for films that are pumped up by critics who are little more intelligent than the average film viewer but like to think they are. I love an allegorical tale, I love metaphor and hidden meanings but Starship Troopers was more subtle than this one (and I mean that somewhat seriously, that movie is deeper than it looks). Reading critical reviews, it's like their sudden epiphany that the movie is about mental illness and repression makes them some kind of philosophical genius and anyone who dislikes the film is a pleb who just doesn't get it.

Also watched The Quiet Ones, another horror movie. Also a bit shit, but shit in a generic bump in the dark, occult stereotype kind of way. Think I'll give the horror genre a miss for a while, don't think there's been a decent one since the 80's :lol:
I thought I was the only starship troopers fan!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Wokko wrote:Heh, thanks. I hold a certain level of contempt for films that are pumped up by critics who are little more intelligent than the average film viewer but like to think they are. I love an allegorical tale, I love metaphor and hidden meanings but Starship Troopers was more subtle than this one (and I mean that somewhat seriously, that movie is deeper than it looks). Reading critical reviews, it's like their sudden epiphany that the movie is about mental illness and repression makes them some kind of philosophical genius and anyone who dislikes the film is a pleb who just doesn't get it.

Paranormal Activity, The Woman in Black, The Conjuring to name just a few are all good recent horror installments IMO.

To be fair I'll give this Aussie horror movie a try and reach my own conclusion.

Who knows perhaps I'm deeper than you and will like it. :P :lol:

P.S-At least it ain't French. :wink:
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

think positive wrote:Haha, think I'll give it a miss

She is my avatar.

Saoirse Ronan is her name.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Are they exactly the same?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

swoop42 wrote:
think positive wrote:Haha, think I'll give it a miss

She is my avatar.

Saoirse Ronan is her name.
Yeah, but how do you pronounce it? :lol:

(It took me about five years to work it out...)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange