Post Match. Pies lose to Bombers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Pies4shaw wrote:5. Grundy
4. Daicos
3. Maynard
2. Pendlebury
1. Stephenson
Grundy best? :shock: :shock:
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

[quote="Dark Beanie"]Just saw the disgusting tweet someone wrote last night about Cox and Varcoe.

I understand people are disappointed about the loss, but seriously some people need to take a good hard look at themselves
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

doriswilgus wrote:
SteveH67 wrote:Please tell me the rumours of Stevenson wanting out, are false.

This would set us back, if the young stars coming through want to go elsewhere.
What have you heard?I’d be surprised and disappointed if he did want to leave the club,He’s one of the few exciting young players on our list,I don’t think we can afford to let him go.
Someone needs to tell him how cushy he has it
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Next week v the Hawks will show us just what we are made of, either we re group and come out breathing fire, win and go on with the season, or we lose three on the trot, and the season is nearly done. Its a line in the sand type game, this one, and our entire forward line has to get down and get their hands dirty, show some guts and determination now. High bloody time, too.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

You don't get it. The Sidey issue (which let's assume has distracted and affected the players) was a bigger issue because of Eddie than the incident itself. The issue was over in 1 day the next two days were all about Eddie's reaction / Ed's double standards etc.

That's the issue with Ed. Any problem we have is magnified because of him. This HAS to have a destabilising impact on the team.
Agree entirely.The media is now resurfacing footage of Eddie declaring mid April that any player found to be breaking COVID protocols should be banned for a year and fined $100000. This issue, just keeps going, because of Eddie's loud, provocative and unthinking
media commentary. He never stops to consider the possible future consequences of his words. He is one of the driving factors of unwanted media attention focussed on us. I would love to see us appoint another President.
Agreed, 20 years is too long anyway
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

doriswilgus wrote:

What have you heard?I’d be surprised and disappointed if he did want to leave the club,He’s one of the few exciting young players on our list,I don’t think we can afford to let him go.
I know rumours fly around, but I heard a few weeks ago Stevo almost came to blows with Mark Harvey. My source was fairly reliable.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

And the slide down the ladder continues...
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

I know rumours fly around, but I heard a few weeks ago Stevo almost came to blows with Mark Harvey. My source was fairly reliable.
Mark Harvey?

Do you mean Robert Harvey?
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

Jezza wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
doriswilgus wrote: What have you heard?I’d be surprised and disappointed if he did want to leave the club,He’s one of the few exciting young players on our list,I don’t think we can afford to let him go.
Mark Harvey?

Yeah, my bad, Robert it was.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote: I know rumours fly around, but I heard a few weeks ago Stevo almost came to blows with Mark Harvey. My source was fairly reliable.
Mark Harvey?

Yeah, my bad, Robert it was.
I would rather lose Harvey than Stepho, that is for sure.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

we saw in the last when they take the game on they are a chance to score. played too safe after q time and either got picked off in disposal or the inevitable clanger gave it back to them. bombers wanted it more as well. vc shenaninigans and howe sickening injury in the timid mindset. back to a middle of the road side or worse im thinkn if this goes on
woodsmen rule
Big Dan

Post by Big Dan »

I swear every game Pendles has more handballs than kicks they lose. Best vision in the team, take away his I50's and the forwards stave.

on the other hand, when Treloar has the most kicks in the team we seem to concede goals from turnovers at willl.

just saying'.
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Bombers did a good job on Pendles. He normally smashes them. Possibly because Steele was out, so they could focus on one instead of two. They kept him to a season low 22 touches and only 8 kicks.
Get back on top.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:5. Grundy
4. Daicos
3. Maynard
2. Pendlebury
1. Stephenson
Grundy best? :shock: :shock:
The AFL Coaches' votes are in for the round. The only Collingwood player in the top 5 from either coach was Grundy.

Make of that what you will. Personally, I thought he was Collingwood's only 4 quarter player. Whether he was our best player on the night is a matter of opinion - but what I do find remarkable is that 6 of the 14 sets of votes in the GB Medal so far didn't include Grundy at all. I can only assume that people just expect that he's going to play the opposition midfield on his own.

He absolutely thrashed the opposition - our continuing problem is that we have not one single decent clearance mid (Grundy aside - have a look at the last quarter clearance stats from the game), at the moment. The real question we need to ask ourselves is how Shiel could get the 5 from each coach when his ruck was thrashed - why can't our mids get their hands on the 50/50 balls any week, ever?

On the general subject of how influential Grundy is, I watched GWS race to a match-winning lead in the first half of the third quarter yesterday against Hawthorn with GWS winning virtually every clearance on the back of a dominant display from Mumford. That didn't happen last week - once again, our ruck murdered theirs but we just had no-one at ground level who was competent to take advantage of what should be an arm-chair ride.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

I reckon Grundy has to share responsibility for our clearance ineptitude (how much, who knows?). I don't see how you can put 100% of the blame on everyone else. If it's a communication thing, surely both sides are to blame?

Here's Gleeson:

"Grundy’s impact and his connection with his midfield remains a frustration at Collingwood for they have lost the ability to maximise his impact.

Again on Friday, as it was the week before, his hit-out dominance did not translate to clearances. Opposition mids again seemed to have a better understanding of where they should be for Grundy than Collingwood’s did. When he hit it to his feet they were there, when he belted to space the Dons had a defensive sweeper."

Whoever's to blame, we're certainly not getting value for that $7 million at the moment.