#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Doc63

Post by Doc63 »

Wokko wrote:Would take him back in a heartbeat. He's turning 28 next year and we're in our window. Imagine those spear passes coming in to De Goey or Mason, would be the touch of class we need.

I can't see how we get it done though, he'd be cheaper than we sold him for but Brisbane would already feel screwed by that trade, not sure we'd get a second one up on them.
Beams for Fasolo, Blair, Smith & Crocker.
I hold a cup of wisdom, but there is nothing within.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Wow. Merely think Dayne Beams is pound for pound a better player than Steele, despite Sidebottom being a great player too
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I don't mind Beams but seriously, I think we've gone past him, how many midfielders do we need and at what cost?
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

As a person that left their adopted country behind and came home because my Mum was sick and dying of cancer - anyone that gives or gave Beams crap for leaving Collingwood should be f***ing ashamed of themselves. His father died, he got to spend at least some of those last years with him. It's not enjoyable, it's probably easier staying away in some respects, but if you did stay away you'd be ashamed for the rest of your life.
McRae for Governor-General!
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

Beams is a fine footballer, but he wouldn't be the sort of player I would try and add to our list for the salary cap he would consume. He is also not the most durable player any longer. Durability of our current list is a huge problem. I would much rather we chase a quality key position type.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
E

Post by E »

Monco Matt wrote:Anyone who doesn't believe Dayne Beams wouldn't slot straight into our best midfield rotations is a dead set idiot. Still a gun with ball in hand and a piercing kick inside 50. If he wants back to Collingwood ( and why wouldn't he, we are in the slot for a flag) then make it happen, so long as it doesn't cost the farm.
I don't think anyone could credibly say that. Beams is probably one of the best 20 mids in the comp. I don't know who he would push out of the square when Treloar, Pendles and Adams are healthy, but we wouldn't lose much putting him in there among those guys.

I think what people are rightly saying is that our midfield is an absolute strength of ours and for the salary cap that he would absorb, it might be money better spent elsewhere. I for one think we need a key back and a key forward. I still don't think Cox is the answer as the focus up there (he is just a good resting ruckman who causes massive headaches for the opposition. Down back, we had the perfect back 6, but 2 of them might never play again (Dunn and Berg) and we need someone to replace Dunn for the duration of the 4 years that this team is going to be good.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:As a person that left their adopted country behind and came home because my Mum was sick and dying of cancer - anyone that gives or gave Beams crap for leaving Collingwood should be f***ing ashamed of themselves. His father died, he got to spend at least some of those last years with him. It's not enjoyable, it's probably easier staying away in some respects, but if you did stay away you'd be ashamed for the rest of your life.
I'm not giving him crap for leaving Collingwood. I couldn't stand him when he was here. I appreciate that I was in the minority but I always thought he was slow, easily shut down and, in any event, went home when it got tough. That's why I don't want him back.

Anyone who thinks he's worthy of being discussed in the same breath as Sidebottom has no idea. I don't care how many Brownlow votes Beams gets or how many soft goals he pokes through during the year, the games that matter are won in September. Then, when it matters, he does nothing - and he does so with breathtaking consistency. He's a genuine, honest-to-goodness loser.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

E wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:Anyone who doesn't believe Dayne Beams wouldn't slot straight into our best midfield rotations is a dead set idiot. Still a gun with ball in hand and a piercing kick inside 50. If he wants back to Collingwood ( and why wouldn't he, we are in the slot for a flag) then make it happen, so long as it doesn't cost the farm.
I don't think anyone could credibly say that. Beams is probably one of the best 20 mids in the comp. I don't know who he would push out of the square when Treloar, Pendles and Adams are healthy, but we wouldn't lose much putting him in there among those guys.

I think what people are rightly saying is that our midfield is an absolute strength of ours and for the salary cap that he would absorb, it might be money better spent elsewhere. I for one think we need a key back and a key forward. I still don't think Cox is the answer as the focus up there (he is just a good resting ruckman who causes massive headaches for the opposition. Down back, we had the perfect back 6, but 2 of them might never play again (Dunn and Berg) and we need someone to replace Dunn for the duration of the 4 years that this team is going to be good.
I'm saying something very much more than that.

Some players just set themselves and do their best under adversity. So, you look at the way Langdon has stepped up and performed better as our defence has got weaker. He is not a fullback and I expected him to get thrashed last night. Instead, he was one of our best players. He won't be able to do it every week because he is too small and won't be able to compete physically but you won't ever be left wondering why he didn't give more. Meanwhile, Beams has at least twice Tommy's talent - but he is never, ever going to surprise his supporters when things are against him. He's the sort of guy who can look good when all the focus is on Pendlebury, Swan and Sidebottom. He's not the guy who can step up and take it to the next level when that's required. When other players are falling off and being kept out of the game, he's one of the other players falling off and being kept out of the game. It amazes me that people do not see this, especially since we watched it happen, to our (or at least my) horror, repeatedly.
think positive
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Straight trade for Oxley. I wouldn't give up Smith for him. We need depth players.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

He'll be 29 come Feb 2019.
He signed a 6 year, $3.5m contract going into the 2015 season. That'd take him to 2020. Contract was largely front ended, when the Lions had the cash as players exited.
Not long after Beams signed his contract, the new AFLPA CBA contracts kicked in.
His manger Paul Connors has his fingers all over this. He turns his clients into mercenaries, playing out the hand on their heart card, with the other firmly on their wallet.
With the crop of young Lions coming through, looks like he's making a move to create a competitive tender from desperate Melbourne clubs, to inflate Beams contract.
Connors clients, Marley Williams, Freeman, Melsham, Shiel, Lynch...seeing a pattern...
(prefer Sidey and Grundy were in a different camp)

Beam's would command $700k a season in an an already crowded Collingwood cap.
Playing ability aside I reckon he would deliver zero for club culture and wide of the mark as to what what we should be currently investing in, key position players.

Brisbane deserve better than that. We can do better than that.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

^makes a lot of sense Laurie
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Cam »

Beams plays his role and not the team's. Great footballer, but why ruin the chemistry at the club that we now have.
Get back on top.