#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

E

Post by E »

Magpietothemax wrote:I am very happy that we stood firm against all the attempts at emotional blackmail and other forms of pressure and asserted our right to an equitable transaction. Brisbane's offer of two picks for a player of Beams' proven ability was laughable. I am unhappy to hear that we might have accepted three picks, because that too would not have been adequate. I hope that in any future negotiations with any other club that we that we absolutely commit to gaining a like player in return.
my sense from reading the press, is that there may be as many as 25 players worthy of being considered a top 20 pick. I actually would have thought that 5, 21 and 25 ought to have got it done (as you could afford a fail in the second round and still feel ok with the trade - and let's face it, teams get as many duds as they do players living up to their limited potential at pick 20). The question is, "how would you feel if we added another player with the potential of a Sharenberg or Freeman PLUS 2 guys of the caliber of Kennedy/Broomhead."

I don't think we get value with one top 20 pick, but I think we get a lot closer with 2.

The bottom line to this deal is that the Lions thought they were being gifted Beams and they are making the HUGE mistake of insisting that it remain a gift. These type of deals need to be win/win - like the Judd deal ended up being. Dayne Beams would be the best midfielder in their team by a fair bit I'd say, which makes every one of their other midfielders better without improvement.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Stinger wrote:I still think a deal will get done.

Collingwood were never going to cave in to a deal that was picks only. Why would we, beams is contracted to us and we demanded a player.
We reportedly did cave and accept picks only (confirmed by Hine, I think). The five team trade fell over when Geelong rejected it. I'm glad it fell over because, as reported, it was a big win for Brisbane.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 14hbg.html
Well done boys!
rocketronnie

Post by rocketronnie »

Trade or no trade, this story has a lot of permutations to play out yet. It is way too soon for anyone to be saying we have won from this at this stage.
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
E

Post by E »

AN_Inkling wrote:

Collingwood were never going to cave in to a deal that was picks only. Why would we, beams is contracted to us and we demanded a player.
We reportedly did cave and accept picks only (confirmed by Hine, I think). The five team trade fell over when Geelong rejected it. I'm glad it fell over because, as reported, it was a big win for Brisbane.

Yes, but three top 25 picks instead of two sounded a lot more palatable (we could have offloaded one for Greenwood and so we would have ended up with 5,21 and Greenwood for Beams which seems like a fair balance (massive downgrade today, but we get a solid player in return plus 2 decent shots at a potential replacement player for the future).
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

rocketronnie wrote:Trade or no trade, this story has a lot of permutations to play out yet. It is way too soon for anyone to be saying we have won from this at this stage.
Rocketronnie, the only permutations left to play out are between us and GWS or Gold Coast, if Beams still wants out and the others are interested enough. Otherwise Beams will just have to reconcile with the club and accept his family situation and learn to adapt.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by What'sinaname »

AN_Inkling wrote:

Interesting. So Geelong has the biggest spine of them all.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
BazBoy
Been liked: 38 times

Post by BazBoy »

Saturday morn 11th October and post 5pm Friday deadline
It was good to stand our ground with Dayne but i wonder have we made right decision
Would a disgruntled player give his all & just mark time till he is out of contract.
Or take a risk with new faces
If Dayne just goes thru the motions is he a benifit to team sucsess
5pm Oct 16th deadline Mark 2
All will be revealed in fullness of time
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

What'sinaname wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Not really. 30 and 48 wasn't a fair return for Christensen.

5, 21 and 25 was getting there for Beams. But Brisbane would only agree to that if we held their hands and got in there and did their other trading for them (the rest of that complicated 5 club deal was that. We just wanted 5 21 and 25 for Beams. All the other crap was essentially us negotiating on their behalf.)

So we couldn't get the Cats to agree with a crap deal for Christensen, and clearly the Lions feel the need to rip someone off somewhere along the way, so no deal was done at all.

They are pathetic. The best outcome of all this is that I am loaded with fresh hate for the Bears
they can smell what we're cookin'
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

Breadcrawl wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote: We reportedly did cave and accept picks only (confirmed by Hine, I think). The five team trade fell over when Geelong rejected it. I'm glad it fell over because, as reported, it was a big win for Brisbane.

5, 21 and 25 was getting there for Beams. But Brisbane would only agree to that if we held their hands and got in there and did their other trading for them (the rest of that complicated 5 club deal was that. We just wanted 5 21 and 25 for Beams. All the other crap was essentially us negotiating on their behalf.)

So we couldn't get the Cats to agree with a crap deal for Christensen, and clearly the Lions feel the need to rip someone off somewhere along the way, so no deal was done at all.

They are pathetic. The best outcome of all this is that I am loaded with fresh hate for the Bears
You and me both.

The thing that has annoyed me the most throughout this whole saga is the way the Brions staff and players have played it out over social media. From Leppo's shit tweet about Pendles, to Paparone's BS tweet about the Pies not trying to look after Daynes best interests, they've tried to publicly slander the club and emotionally blackmail them into accepting a deal they know to be way under Dayne's actual market value.

It reeks of amatuerism, and I'm happy that nobody from the Pies has been unprofessional enough to take the bait.

I've pretty much accepted that Dayne has burned his bridges and is unlikely to play in black and white again, and nothing would give me more pleasure at the moment to see him running around in a GC or GWS jersey whilst the arrogant flogs at the Bears contemplate how they threw away the opportunity to land the best home grown talent to request a trade to them in over a decade.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

What about Greg a Swans involvement.

I mean what the hell has he done that have people believing he is so good.

He shafted us in how he left and then again when Pert came we realised how much he had shafted us while he was here given the massive pub deals **** up.

He goes to Carlto and what exactly did he achieve there ? They've had first round picks coming out of their arse, recruited top line talent into the club and have gone nowhere.

Now at Brisbane. He actively seeks out Beams - don't tell me he didn't as he didn't just throw Beams name up as the type of player they could afford as a coincidence. So he makes a play for a contracted player, uses his father as a tactic to get him to the club believing he wouldn't have to give up anything and then when the heat is on can't get the deal done.
He made the play, he should have followed through.

I've seen this in my professional life. Great networkers seem to have a reputation for being a great operators yet move from position to position without actually achieving anything.

In what world does he think it's ok for a senior coach to tweet about a player at another club ? And then think that would not hurt any good will while negotiating a complex trade.

Friggen ammature.
Last edited by MJ23 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

MJ23 wrote:What about Greg a Swans involvement. ...

Great networkers seem to have a reputation for being a great operators yet move from position to position without actually achieving anything.
Oh yeah. I've worked for this type and know just what you mean. Funnily enough, I used to call them "swanners", because that's all they do ... Swan about the place and achieve very little.
35forever

Post by 35forever »

Why do people keep suggesting GCS & GWS as locations which would help with Beamer's family problems? GWS is in New South Wales and further from Ascot than Sydney's ground. Beamer's hardly gonna drive to Brisbane from there, he's gonna fly, and besides, have you been to West Sydney? Obviously not or you wouldn't wish living there on Beamer!
As someone mentioned this section of the trading game was simply about saving face for both parties, they probably will now start dealing for real, although Brizvegas are such incredible amateurs they'll probably stuff it up. I mean look at this shite from Schwab:

"We can't do anything more, we can't add to it," Schwab told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Friday.
"We won't change it. We think it's as good as we can possibly do.
"we've worked so hard since the start to make that happen."

We 'can't' add to it? My god they must think Collingwood, and the industry, are morons!
Picks 5, 21, and 25 was a far better offer, we could've picked up kids like Angus Brayshaw, & Connor Blakely, and hopefully got away with pick 25 for Greenwood, but as far as I know they've already spent 21 on getting Christensen.
5 and 25 is a big win for Brizzo, while 5 and say, Aish, is a decent win for us. Both sides know this and neither wants to be a loser, although Brisbane is already quite good at it. What really pisses me off is the fact that they have more flags than us from the last 50 years while we have to pay to keep them afloat, it's just insane, and I really wish Collingwood would stand up to the AFL bully-boys more often instead of merely bending over and 'presenting'.
I guess the next question is which, if any, of the half dozen or so Brisbane players we asked for is Victorian? As far as I know, none of them are. Maybe we should throw a few more names at them? The way Schwab talks you'd think that sending a kid to Collingwood is a nightmare they wouldn't put any of their guys through, either way the move would be more appealing to a Victorian kid, have they got any that are decent players?
"If at first you dont succeed...
... oh who cares, we did it!!!!!"

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Great minds think alike.
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

Stupied wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:
What'sinaname wrote: Interesting. So Geelong has the biggest spine of them all.

You and me both.

The thing that has annoyed me the most throughout this whole saga is the way the Brions staff and players have played it out over social media. From Leppo's shit tweet about Pendles, to Paparone's BS tweet about the Pies not trying to look after Daynes best interests, they've tried to publicly slander the club and emotionally blackmail them into accepting a deal they know to be way under Dayne's actual market value.

It reeks of amatuerism, and I'm happy that nobody from the Pies has been unprofessional enough to take the bait.

I've pretty much accepted that Dayne has burned his bridges and is unlikely to play in black and white again, and nothing would give me more pleasure at the moment to see him running around in a GC or GWS jersey whilst the arrogant flogs at the Bears contemplate how they threw away the opportunity to land the best home grown talent to request a trade to them in over a decade.
No doubt Peperone was put up to that. His old man has apparently just recently passed away from cancer, but I doubt a bloke on the cusp of the best 22 would be making tweets about such a sensitive issue without club backing.

Think of the mummy's boy tweet last year. This is Brisbane's official media policy. Emotional blackmail and little back-handers from their players and coaches on Twitter.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

35forever wrote:Why do people keep suggesting GCS & GWS as locations which would help with Beamer's family problems? GWS is in New South Wales and further from Ascot than Sydney's ground. Beamer's hardly gonna drive to Brisbane from there, he's gonna fly, and besides, have you been to West Sydney? Obviously not or you wouldn't wish living there on Beamer!
As someone mentioned this section of the trading game was simply about saving face for both parties, they probably will now start dealing for real, although Brizvegas are such incredible amateurs they'll probably stuff it up. I mean look at this shite from Schwab:

"We can't do anything more, we can't add to it," Schwab told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Friday.
"We won't change it. We think it's as good as we can possibly do.
"we've worked so hard since the start to make that happen."

We 'can't' add to it? My god they must think Collingwood, and the industry, are morons!
Picks 5, 21, and 25 was a far better offer, we could've picked up kids like Angus Brayshaw, & Connor Blakely, and hopefully got away with pick 25 for Greenwood, but as far as I know they've already spent 21 on getting Christensen.
5 and 25 is a big win for Brizzo, while 5 and say, Aish, is a decent win for us. Both sides know this and neither wants to be a loser, although Brisbane is already quite good at it. What really pisses me off is the fact that they have more flags than us from the last 50 years while we have to pay to keep them afloat, it's just insane, and I really wish Collingwood would stand up to the AFL bully-boys more often instead of merely bending over and 'presenting'.
I guess the next question is which, if any, of the half dozen or so Brisbane players we asked for is Victorian? As far as I know, none of them are. Maybe we should throw a few more names at them? The way Schwab talks you'd think that sending a kid to Collingwood is a nightmare they wouldn't put any of their guys through, either way the move would be more appealing to a Victorian kid, have they got any that are decent players?
Normally ignore most of what you say. I mean who could be bothered reading 1000 word rants.
Your a bit uninformed though about west syd.
Suburb I live is every bit as good as the best vic suburbs.
Local afl junior club has 90 under 9 kids.
We lived in vic and it's 2 and a bit hrs flight to family in Bris plus car time.
Syd is 50 min flight both ways and cheap.
Syd would be ok for beams.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan