Best films of all time

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

watt price tully wrote:Interesting list but no “All about Eve” and no “Les enfants du paradis” loses it for me! 7 Samurai is in my top 10 as is Rashomon.

It’s as though one needs by genre that is top 5 by genre as Singing in the rain for song and dance OK but top 20 per se?

Watching a film in the Cinema as well changes the perspective. Top films when viewed in a Cinema as opposed to a TV makes a huge difference to the experience.

Sunset Boulevard remains a wonderful film. Special mention to the Korean Parasites which doesn’t do as well on TV imo.

For me Les enfants du paradis and All About Eve are standouts. Just love them.
Interestingly, Children of Paradise made the top 100 last time (in 2012) but seems to have fallen out of favour this time around. You can add it to the list of films I really should have seen by now!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:Hmm. I'm going to say Singin' in the Rain, Mulholland Drive and ... The Godfather? How many did I get right? :)
What'sinaname wrote:Godfather
Apocalypse Now
1 each!

Apocalypse now. (Brilliant but disturbing)
Mulholland drive, x boyfriend choice, why is it on this list???
Vertigo - I prefer rear window!

Actually 4, I’ve seen the searchers too! Used to love westerns, think I’ve seen all the John Wayne ones and probably clints too!

Tried to watch the godfather, fell asleep, ditto singing in the rain! Ugh

I agree with WIAN, shit list!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:Interesting list but no “All about Eve” and no “Les enfants du paradis” loses it for me! 7 Samurai is in my top 10 as is Rashomon.

It’s as though one needs by genre that is top 5 by genre as Singing in the rain for song and dance OK but top 20 per se?

Watching a film in the Cinema as well changes the perspective. Top films when viewed in a Cinema as opposed to a TV makes a huge difference to the experience.

Sunset Boulevard remains a wonderful film. Special mention to the Korean Parasites which doesn’t do as well on TV imo.

For me Les enfants du paradis and All About Eve are standouts. Just love them.
Interestingly, Children of Paradise made the top 100 last time (in 2012) but seems to have fallen out of favour this time around. You can add it to the list of films I really should have seen by now!
It actually beggars belief that you have never seen Les Enfants du Paradis. That's a joke, surely?
David

Post by David »

Oh, I wish I could say it's the only embarrassing omission in my film viewing. There are holes all over the place, sometimes encompassing entire directors' filmographies! And the older I get, the less time there seems to be to rectify those gaps...

(I have seen Carné's later Three Rooms in Manhattan, though, which I liked very much.)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yes, time's a factor. I struggle to find the space to get through The Blues Brothers more than twice a week, these days. Still, I make the effort. I see that isn't on the list, either.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

roar wrote:
stui magpie wrote:The only one of those I've seen is The Searchers
Really? Not even The Godfather?
Yep, just never tried to watch it
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

i agree the only one i liked was kevin costner in The untouchables with Sean Connery. i find them cheesy and sleazy!

Mob wives was fun to watch tough!!! well til Big Ange passed away!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pies4shaw wrote:Yes, time's a factor. I struggle to find the space to get through The Blues Brothers more than twice a week, these days. Still, I make the effort. I see that isn't on the list, either.
Brilliant. I'm pretty sure I could quote the whole movie verbatim. Lost count the amount of times I've watched it.

Did you ever go the screenings at the Valhalla in Northcote?
I lived around the corner on Bridge St, some great times in that suburb in the early 90's.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Yes, time's a factor. I struggle to find the space to get through The Blues Brothers more than twice a week, these days. Still, I make the effort. I see that isn't on the list, either.
Brilliant. I'm pretty sure I could quote the whole movie verbatim. Lost count the amount of times I've watched it.

Did you ever go the screenings at the Valhalla in Northcote?
I lived around the corner on Bridge St, some great times in that suburb in the early 90's.
Saw it one time at Valhalla in Richmond (pre Northcote with Mrs WPT and friends) and when the flamethrower scene came on everyone got their cigarette lighters out.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yes, Laurie, like wpt I went (many, many times) to the Valhalla when it was in Victoria St. I don't think I've been to the Valhalla since it moved to Westgarth.

Originally, I had to catch the train to Adelaide to see this unrivalled masterpiece. It barely got any screenings in Melbourne on its first run (pre-Christmas 1980) and I missed it with work (in those days I had a full-time job and also played in bands 8 or 9 times a week, so there wasn't much room in my schedule). Anyway, the music industry used to go quiet in Melbourne for a couple of weeks in the new year, so I took a fortnight off and went interstate to see it. First screening for me was 18 January 1981 - I went to the Adelaide Oval to watch Greg Chappell bat (and Jeff Thomson bowl) in the SA v Qld game and saw The Blues Brothers in the evening, then several more times over the rest of the fortnight. It's hard to explain the impact, now, given we have the internet. Every time I wanted to learn to play a new Ray Charles number in those days, I had to copy it from a record onto a cassette that I could stop and start and rewind, over and over, until I could identify all the notes (an extraordinary ask because Ray basically played sophisticated hard bop and his chord voicings were at once spectacular and spectacularly complex) and you never really knew if you "had" it because you never saw these people play. Anyhow, after Otis Spann's untimely death ten years earlier, Ray and Aretha and John Lee were like my personal deities - but I had never seen any of them perform, even on TV (and, let's be blunt, records were always shit, so we never really heard them properly at home until CDs came along during that decade) - and seeing Dunn and Cropper, who had played on almost all of Otis Redding's great records, was jaw-dropping. It was all revelatory for me. Startlingly, it remains as fresh for me every time I watch it as it was the first time. An extraordinary piece of art.

"They broke my watch".
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Introducing our kids to The Blues Brothers was such a joy, for us and them.
kill for collingwood!
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

The Vallhalla in Richmond is a blast from a misspent early adulthood. We'd head there plenty of times on a Friday or Saturday night in '81 and '82. A few bongs beforehand and movies such as Eraserhead, Deerhunter and The Blues Brothers before it became a wankfest. Funny enough, I don't remember many of the other movies.