What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:For all you arthouse film nerds out there (oh wait, that's just me), I Am Love is very good.
Ahem, I don't think so!

Some of us were going to the Carlton Movie house before possibly before your parents were together (in the biblical sense)!

Not to mention Valhalla in Richmond & the Uni's in the 70's

But you were looking for a reaction!!!
:lol:

My dad used to go to the Valhalla back in the '70s. Wish I could have seen a film there before it was abandoned.
It wasn't abandoned, it was sold and torn down. One of the great cinematic experiences of the early 80s was to see the midnight showing of the Blues Brothers complete with audience particpation.

The death of the Carlton Bughouse is even sadder. It was the first place to give student discount and for years the only place in Melbourne. By the time other theatres started letting students in at prices they could afford, I was no longer a student. I probably watch more movies at the Nova than any other theatre but I can't help remembering that the Nova pretty much put the Bughouse out of business.
Born and raised in Black and White
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Got quite a (pleasant) shock when I went for the first time to see the Blues Brothers & the flame thrower scene came on!!
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

I just bought Drop Dead Fred on DVD - ahh the childhood memories :)
Coles should sponsor Essendon because they're down and staying down!
watt price tully

Taped "Baran" an Iranian film from the early 2000's intersting film about Afgahni refugees in Iran working on a building site & their expereinces of racism on a building site etc but told in a non-dogmatic, non-didcatic manner. & with relevant themes about they're gunna take our jobs, exploitation. Poignant. Got to watch it recently.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... 5SNmrHUO-Q
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Taped another late night film called 'Expresso Bongo' made in the laste 50's early 60's puts the B into B grade films for sure. Featuring a very young Cliff Richard". Liked it from a 'tacky' point of view!!

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... O48mdrPw4g
watt price tully

Watched 3 recently: early 40's films:

1. Fritz Laing's " The Woman in the Window" Film noir (my favourite genre) & a brilliant film: If you get a chance to see it do - its a great mystery / suspense fillum with Edward G Robinson & the beautiful Joan Bennett.

2. Howard Hawkes's "His Girl Friday" with Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell. Later remade with Jack Lemmon & Walter Mathau as "The Front Page". For budding journalists - a bit sentimental but the repartee between Grant & Russel in particular is simply wonderful.

3. (1930's) My Man Godfrey with William Powell & Carol Lombard - 'screwball comedy' but good fun which you don't want to 'deconstruct' too much.

Good watching & nice to see them again.

Two others I trying to catch up with & haven't seen for ages:

1. (1942) The Man who Came to Dinner - with Monty Woolley, Bette Davis, Jimmy Durante amongst others.

2. (1949) A Letter to Three Wives - 1949 Linda Darnell, Ann Southern, Kirk Douglas -

Plot: A letter is addressed to three wives from their "best friend" Addie Ross, announcing that she is running away with one of their husbands--but she doesn't say which one! B+ grade but good fun.
Sexist you bet, a bit corny yes indeedy. But good fun & some ripper lines.
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

Have recently seen a few funny re-runs of re-runs ...

Life of Brian (my fave movie)

Confessions of a Shopaholic (sit back & have a laugh)

The Italian Job (an oldie & a goodie!)
Side by side we Stick together
watt price tully

A while ago bought some DVD's & today saw "Savages" the Laura Linney & Phillip Seymour Hoffman. David Stratton gave it 4.5 stars if that means anything.

Might not be everyones cup of tea but I thought it was brilliant. Tragi-comedy. Naturalistic in some respects. 109 minutes. Very powerful in a Eugene O'Neil kind of way. My wife whose ill with the cold/ flu at home & me with a day off saw it & we both loved it. Compelling, a tough emotionally powerful film I thought.

Highly recommended (I suppose like any form of film each to their own - it might not be for everybody)

The other tough film & naturalistic in a Eugene O'Neil kind of way that starred Phillip Seymour Hoffman which was also very good was "Before The Devil Knows your Dead"
mandy

Post by mandy »

Saw Inception last week.

Go see it. Go see it now.

9/10
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
stui magpie
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by stui magpie »

Batman XXX - A Parody.

mmmmmmmmmmm Batgirl, Catwoman......Image
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

Someone recommended Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay to cheer me up a little, they thought I'd love it. Loved it! Hahahaha
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

Someone recommended Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay to cheer me up a little, they thought I'd love it. Loved it! Hahahaha
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

My neighbour invited me in to watch a box set series of 1 Adam 12 ... ick, I'd forgotten how awful that show was back then and how much awfuller it seems now! The only good bit is '1 Adam 12 1 Adam 12 do you read me 1 Adam 12 over' :lol:
Side by side we Stick together
BlackAndWhiteSince87

Post by BlackAndWhiteSince87 »

Is it as sad as I think it is that the last movie I watched was Eclipse?
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Big T »

OK I can trump everyone.

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" from the 80's with Helen Hunt and Sarah Jessica Parker.

Why, I hear you ask?

Only one english channel (Channel 46) in Zhejiang province, China... Any english port in a storm!

And yes, it was shocking (secretly loved it).
Buon Giorno