What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

After wokring my backside off in the last pay period I was greeted by a healthy pay this fortnight so apart from paying 2 speeding fines - I was so happy it was my wife not me!! & the other one was my daughter & her rego I found a bit left over to splurge on myself.

Bought 5 DVD's (on sale of course):

1. Blu ray- The Hx of violence
2. Looking for Eric - only $12 at JB at the moment - great film Ken Loach;
3. The Battle of Algiers an oldie but a grpping goodie
4. The Tracker ( from the Director of Bad Boy Bubby ( I still shuddder from my memories of this film all those years ago) &
5. Savages don't know anything about this but I like Phillip Seymour Hoffman & David gave it 4.5 stars & margaret gave it 4.

Borders are having a sale on DVD's now & The blu ray disc was only $16 at JB.

A little self reward for the overtime. Some day I'll get round to seeing them!!
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

^ Looking for Eric was quite good. I saw that at the cinemas!

Heard that the End of Violence is good too, but haven't seen it. Haven't seen the others either, but let me know what you think!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
mandy

Post by mandy »

Saw Animal Kingdom on Tuesday night. Really enjoyed it. Great cast, awesome acting. Although it's loosely based on real events I think it's best to just watch it as though it's fiction.

8.5/10

Tonight seeing Eclipse.
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
Joel

Post by Joel »

I wanted to see Animal Kingdom, but it wasn't playing at the local cinemas. Guess I will have to wait to it's released on DVD.
Donny
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Donny »

A couple of films I get sucked into rewatching, again and again:

Scenes from a Mall (Scenes de Menage if you're watching the French version) - Woody and Bette

Analyse This - Some of the lines still crack me up.

[Ben rushes up to Paul's room after Jelly throws a hit man off the balcony onto the wedding party]
Boss Paul Vitti: Hey, people get depressed, they jump. But that ain't my fault.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Oh, so you're telling me it was suicide?
Boss Paul Vitti: I don't know, he probably left a note. Jelly, did they find that note?
Jelly: [taking out a pen] Uh no, but they will in a minute.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Oh, and let me guess what it says? "Life is bullshit, I can't f***ing take it no more! Signed, the Dead Guy."
Jelly: Hey, that's good, Doc.
------
FBI Agent Steadman: Dr. Sobel, Mam. I'm Agent Steadman, Agent Ricci, Agent Provano, Federal Bureau Of Investigation, OCD.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
FBI Agent Ricci: Organized Crime Division. We need to talk.
--------------
Dr. Ben Sobel: Well, you said you were fighting. You were rebelling against his authority. There may have been some unresolved Oedipal conflict.
Boss Paul Vitti: English, Doc.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Oedipus was a Greek king who killed his father and married his mother.
Boss Paul Vitti: F***in' Greeks.
-------------
Dr. Ben Sobel: You don't hear the word "no" a lot, do you?
Boss Paul Vitti: Well, I hear it all the time, only it's more like "no, please, no!"
-------------------------------

Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
watt price tully

Donny wrote:A couple of films I get sucked into rewatching, again and again:

Scenes from a Mall (Scenes de Menage if you're watching the French version) - Woody and Bette

Analyse This - Some of the lines still crack me up.

[Ben rushes up to Paul's room after Jelly throws a hit man off the balcony onto the wedding party]
Boss Paul Vitti: Hey, people get depressed, they jump. But that ain't my fault.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Oh, so you're telling me it was suicide?
Boss Paul Vitti: I don't know, he probably left a note. Jelly, did they find that note?
Jelly: [taking out a pen] Uh no, but they will in a minute.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Oh, and let me guess what it says? "Life is bullshit, I can't f***ing take it no more! Signed, the Dead Guy."
Jelly: Hey, that's good, Doc.
------
FBI Agent Steadman: Dr. Sobel, Mam. I'm Agent Steadman, Agent Ricci, Agent Provano, Federal Bureau Of Investigation, OCD.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
FBI Agent Ricci: Organized Crime Division. We need to talk.
--------------
Dr. Ben Sobel: Well, you said you were fighting. You were rebelling against his authority. There may have been some unresolved Oedipal conflict.
Boss Paul Vitti: English, Doc.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Oedipus was a Greek king who killed his father and married his mother.
Boss Paul Vitti: F***in' Greeks.
-------------
Dr. Ben Sobel: You don't hear the word "no" a lot, do you?
Boss Paul Vitti: Well, I hear it all the time, only it's more like "no, please, no!"
-------------------------------

The film had some A grade moments like the ones you quoted. !!!

The film 'Anger management' IMO is a B grade film but the scene / line in the plane where in absolute frustration at the air hostess / steward Adam Sandler in resigned powerlessness to the so far white crew finally blurts out "What's the matter with you people?" making reference to the flight staff - this time said to an African American flight staff member- still cracks me up! A 3 minute line was the best thing in the film!!

I still laugh out loud to this one: Crime Spree with Harvey Keitel, Gerard Depardieu , Johnny Hallyday,

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... qdIpG9FXbw
Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
OEP

Post by OEP »

Bought and watched Tombstone on Blu-ray on Monday. Wow, I didn't believe I could enjoy that movie any more, but I did. Awesome on Blu-ray.

Watched Blue Murder (Roger Rogerson, Neddy Smith and Michael Drury) on Tuesday / Wednesday. Fantastic production. If you haven't seen it do yourself a favour and make the effort.

And lastly, I just finished watching my Eddie Izzard - Definite Article - DVD. This guy is so funny by the time you've finished watching the entire DVD your in pain from laughing so hard.
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
David

Post by David »

For all you arthouse film nerds out there (oh wait, that's just me), I Am Love is very good.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Yes. I knew the ending............
watt price tully

David wrote:For all you arthouse film nerds out there (oh wait, that's just me), I Am Love is very good.
Ahem, I don't think so!

Some of us were going to the Carlton Movie house before possibly before your parents were together (in the biblical sense)!

Not to mention Valhalla in Richmond & the Uni's in the 70's

But you were looking for a reaction!!!
Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

All?
watt price tully

David wrote:^ Looking for Eric was quite good. I saw that at the cinemas!

Heard that the End of Violence is good too, but haven't seen it. Haven't seen the others either, but let me know what you think!
Yes I saw Looking for Eric with 2 disappointed St KIlda supporters on the Sunday after the GF last year. First time at the Como in South Yarra - despite parking my 1991 Ford wagon amongst the Saabs, Audis, Mercs & Beamers the place is pretty good to watch a fillum.
David

Post by David »

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:For all you arthouse film nerds out there (oh wait, that's just me), I Am Love is very good.
Ahem, I don't think so!

Some of us were going to the Carlton Movie house before possibly before your parents were together (in the biblical sense)!

Not to mention Valhalla in Richmond & the Uni's in the 70's

But you were looking for a reaction!!!
:lol:

My dad used to go to the Valhalla back in the '70s. Wish I could have seen a film there before it was abandoned.
mandy

Post by mandy »

OEP wrote:Bought and watched Tombstone on Blu-ray on Monday. Wow, I didn't believe I could enjoy that movie any more, but I did. Awesome on Blu-ray.

Watched Blue Murder (Roger Rogerson, Neddy Smith and Michael Drury) on Tuesday / Wednesday. Fantastic production. If you haven't seen it do yourself a favour and make the effort.
Tombstone is my all time favourite movie. Also wouldn't mind watching Blue Murder again one day.

Saw Eclipse last night. Jacob walking around most of the movie shirtless is well worth the price of the ticket alone.
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
OEP

Post by OEP »

mandy wrote:
OEP wrote:Bought and watched Tombstone on Blu-ray on Monday. Wow, I didn't believe I could enjoy that movie any more, but I did. Awesome on Blu-ray.

Tombstone is my all time favourite movie. Also wouldn't mind watching Blue Murder again one day.

Saw Eclipse last night. Jacob walking around most of the movie shirtless is well worth the price of the ticket alone.
If Kristen Stewart was doing the same thing I might be tempted to part with some of my hard earned cash to go see it :D
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.