What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

Peter Griffin wrote:Watched a French film called 99 francs.. Really enjoyed it!
Lol, what have I started? :P

I hadn't heard of it, but IMDBd the film and it turns out that the director is quite highly regarded. Might have to check it out!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

kick ass

way overrated.. everyone telling me to see it, so good etc..

wtf. typical predictable storyline, no laughs, some cool but onoriginal action, terrible cast except for red mist love that guy

only thing good about it was hit girl
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

David wrote:

I hadn't heard of it, but IMDBd the film and it turns out that the director is quite highly regarded. Might have to check it out!
You should! It was really interesting. I especially like the ending(s). That's right, alternative endings.
Coles should sponsor Essendon because they're down and staying down!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

everyday people, bella and buena vista social club.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

Quick review - any good?
OEP

Post by OEP »

Watched "The Fourth Kind" last night and have to it kept me engrossed throughout.

The opening scene in the movie has Milla Jovovich making claims that the movie is based around real events with actual video footage and audio recording to back up the claims made.

Searching the internet these claims seem to be heavily disputed and the argument of inauthenticity proven.

That being said if you watch it late at night with all the lights off, and allow yourself to be absorbed by the premise of the movie, you'll find it's one of the more frightening movies you've seen.

It's definitely one of those movies you'll either love (especially if your an X-files fanatic) or hate, I don't think there'll be much in between.
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

jmcp wrote:everyday people, bella and buena vista social club.
Buena Vista Social Club was great. I was lucky enough to see the premier of it in Australia many years ago at the Kino in Collins St Melbourne.

I'm a subscriber to PBS radio 106.7 & used to be a listerner of their Latin American the Latin Connection show & won tickets to the preview screening. Fantastic music, brilliant musicians. Great CD
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Peter Griffin wrote:Quick review - any good?
who was this directed act?

anyway, everyday people is a day in the life of some 'ordinary' new yorkers et inside a diner that has sold out to the corporatons. it tries to portray the different perspectives and prejudices of about 6 core characters.

bella is set in new york too and is one of those movies that is premised on how an incident dramatically changes the forunes of one or two characters. this one focuses on a soccer start about to sign a multimillion dollar contract but for one fateful icident ends up as a cook in his brother's restaurant. here he meets someone who has her own angst to overcome and both are able to complement the other in their search for fulfilment.
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

Well, not myself obviously..
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Peter Griffin wrote:Well, not myself obviously..
:roll: you should be put in a straight jacquit.
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

Peter Griffin wrote:
David wrote:

You should! It was really interesting. I especially like the ending(s). That's right, alternative endings.
the fu..? you just ruined it :evil:
OEP

Post by OEP »

Saw "Moon" last night and I have to say while it was a good movie and easily watchable to the end I was still left somewhat disappointed.

Sam Rockwell is very good as the lead and virtually only human character throughout the movie. Kevin Spacey's voice as Gerty comes across as robotic but also rapidly becomes very boring, and while I'm sure the aim was for his voice to be emotionless why employ such a gifted actor just to have him drone on for a couple of hours and not allow him to display his talent, it just seemed such a waste of a damn fine actor.

The movie has a twist in the middle and for the rest of the movie your waiting for that bigger jaw dropping twist that seems to threaten to appear, but unfortunately never eventuates.

There is one major part of the plot that is left open, I believe, so the viewer can make their own assumption about it's cause / outcome.

All-in-all it's a good movie made on a very low budget (5 million I believe) but for me it wasn't the sensation I was led to believe it would be.
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
David
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

I kind of agree, OEP. I liked a lot of things about the film, but there was something mildly unsatisfying about it. Still, it was pretty impressive considering the director had never made a film before (although being David Bowie's son, funding obviously wouldn't have been a problem!).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

jmcp wrote:
Peter Griffin wrote:Well, not myself obviously..
:roll: you should be put in a straight jacquit.
Huh? Why? I think the word is "jacket"..
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

anyone seen 'lucky mile'. australian movie about 3 refugees/asylum seekers set in 1990.