What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

rocketronnie

Post by rocketronnie »

David wrote:
OEP wrote:William Dafoe's role as the slightly bent cop (and I don't mean being on the take) is one of absolute genius.
Dafoe is brilliant. I've only seen two films that he's in, but he's great in both of them, and they're both insane: The Last Temptation of Christ and Antichrist.
David you should check out "The Shadow Of The Vampire" - Dafoe, Malkovitch, ansd Udo Keir and a wonderfully off the wall plot. I loved it!
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
David
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by David »

Cheers Ronnie, sounds quite fun. Malkovich is always good value!
OEP wrote:
David wrote:Wow, there are some great movies out at the moment:

Where the Wild Things Are: Marketed as a kids film, but most adults will probably find this quite moving. Fantasy tale with quite dark elements and painful observations about childhood and loneliness. Directed by Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation)
Wanted to take my 3 year old son to see this, he's a massive fan of the book. Unfortunately some of the reviews have put me off taking him, not due to being negative as they've all been positive to date, but they have pointed out some things about the movie that make me think some parts may be a little "heavy" for him.
Normally I'll see any movie first before I'll take my kids just so I can screen it and make sure it's appropriate. One movie I was glad I screened was "Up", an incredibly depressing movie full of violence and aggression. In my opinion definitely not a young child friendly movie.
Fair point. Personally, I'd recommend WTWTA to older kids (say, 8 and up), but a 3 year old will probably find it a little scary. I'd definitely recommend seeing it for yourself beforehand.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
OEP

Post by OEP »

Saw Avatar in 3D on Thursday and have to say WOW. The story line and acting are (in my opinion) very good with the writer seemingly really wanting to push the impact the human race has on the environment and their blase when confronted with this fact.

It probably took me about 15 minutes for my eyes to adjust to the 3D but after that....OMG the 3D special effects were simply breath taking (helpful tip for anyone afflicted with the need for glasses, such as myself, if you have contact lenses it maybe worthwhile taking them with you to wear under the supplied 3D glasses).

The movie goes for 3 hours and while you wouldn't call it action packed it certainly has enough action, but those 3D special effects are just jaw droppingly amazing.

If they keep making 3D movies like that I'll be seeing all the movies I can in the 3D format.
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
mandy

Post by mandy »

Big week watching DVD's for me.

District 9 - 9/10. Awesome spin on an age old "alien invading earth" concept. Very unique and interesting. A point was deducted due to the accents. South Africans just do my head in.

Zombieland - 9/10. Very, very funny movie. Wasn't sure what to expect but didn't disappoint. Woody is great! Probably the best movie watched for the week.

The Hangover - 7.5/10. It was good. Lots of laughs but had possibly built it up too much by hype. Loved Alan but didn't really warm to the other characters.

Four Holidays - 6.5/10. Vaughn was good, but perhaps a bit too "chick flick" for me. Nice movie to watch, but not memorable. Highlight was probably the wedding singer at the end being the same inappropriate wedding singer from "Old School".

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee - 8/10. Enjoyed this one. Even though it had a bit of a "chick flick" feel to it it also had a dark side too. Thought Robin Wright Penn was really good in this.

Funny People - 4/10 Not sure what to say other than it wasn't very funny.

Bruno - 6.5/10. Had its moments but nowhere near as funny as Borat.
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
OEP

Post by OEP »

mandy wrote:Big week watching DVD's for me.

District 9 - 9/10. Awesome spin on an age old "alien invading earth" concept. Very unique and interesting. A point was deducted due to the accents. South Africans just do my head in.

Zombieland - 9/10. Very, very funny movie. Wasn't sure what to expect but didn't disappoint. Woody is great! Probably the best movie watched for the week.
Loved District 9 and Zombieland could be the find of the year, very funny with a great cameo in the middle.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Do you like talking to me? What's your sign? I will mention that to my botmaster, OEP. I will mention that to my botmaster, OEP. Can you tell me any gossip? Did you know that you can download your own chat robot and create your own robot personality?
Dark Lord

Post by Dark Lord »

I just finished watching Inglorious Basterds. A very good film (I'm not a massive Tarantino fan), but it annoyed me that there was no differenciation between Germans and Nazis.

If you're looking for a funny film to watch tonight, check out SBS at 11:50pm for Get Ready to be Boyzvoiced. It's really good.
"There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says, fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again." - Oscar Wilde
MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

StarTrek, X-men quad on Bluray, loved startrek,
cloudy with a chance of meatballs was funny and watched monkey Magic on world movies which was brilliant.
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory..... lasts forever!
Dark Lord

Post by Dark Lord »

The new Japanese production of "Monkey Magic"? Yeah, that was a pretty fun film!
"There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says, fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again." - Oscar Wilde
MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

Dark Lord wrote:The new Japanese production of "Monkey Magic"? Yeah, that was a pretty fun film!
Yeah that's the one, I thought they did a brilliant job of it, I'm a fan of the original series so I enjoyed it.
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory..... lasts forever!
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Paranormal Activity.

I was scared.
stui magpie
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by stui magpie »

luvdids wrote:Paranormal Activity.

I was scared.
Wus. :P :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

stui magpie wrote:

I was scared.
Am not. I'm tough, and I learnt when to put the popcorn down so my startled jumps didn't spread it everywhere!!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

sherlock holmes. quite enjoyed it.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
OEP

Post by OEP »

luvdids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I was scared.
Am not. I'm tough, and I learnt when to put the popcorn down so my startled jumps didn't spread it everywhere!!
You should see the damage you can do with a choc top :shock: