Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Big T »

SLORT wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:10 am F*#k Petracca. Sick of this "I was a mad Collingwood supporter as a kid" bullshit. If his heart was truly with us he would have tried to get to us the last time he re-signed. Buckley is the last gun that came because he chose us. The rest are just athletes + managers + marketing to try and value add.to their current deals.
He's 29 in January, coming back from a major injury / surgery, and has 4 more years on the top dollar. Some of "us" are complaining that Mitchell at 31 is still on the list. We need someone closer to Naicos' age that will at least be at the top of the game for 4-5 years and not cost us 2 future first picks at minimum in order to bring him in.
Nah, hard pass.
Any deal that involves us losing first round picks for 2025 or 2026, where I fully expect us to be in the top 10, should be banned by the club. We always lose when trading away first rounders and generally always win when we trade players for first rounders.
Buon Giorno
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Player movement no!! But a possible movement anyway
Leppitsch rumoured to be interested in assistant coaching job at Bummers
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
SLORT
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by SLORT »

BazBoy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:53 am Leppitsch rumoured to be interested in assistant coaching job at Bummers
This could be an indicator that Wright's staying?
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by derkd »

^ lets hope, our coaching panel needs a bit of a shake up too, nothing wrong with bringing in some fresh ideas. I am sure Leppitsch has an eye to another senior coaching role, and he deserves it, been a great coach and a key part of our flag.

Our game plan has been completely worked out.

Keane will cost us more then a 3rd rounder. Likely to be a future 2nd, and that is fair he is a starting 22 player at the Crows, and he fills a need for Collingwood
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Maynard’s mates with Petracca I think, can he woo him with wine and flowers? We’d be paying five years of Melbourne salary cap though.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

derkd wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:09 am ^
Keane will cost us more then a 3rd rounder. Likely to be a future 2nd, and that is fair he is a starting 22 player at the Crows, and he fills a need for Collingwood
Keep the pick, give them Noble
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
derkd

Post by derkd »

Player for player trades are as rare as hens teeth. Last one i can think of was the trade that landed us Travis Varcoe, 2014?

Nothing about us landing Petracca would be good.

His is already 29 (we have more then enough old players)

He is banged and beaten with injury..who knows how many years he has left.

He is on a giant salary, oh and he would cost draft picks we don't have.

Collingwood need a strict rule of 25 and under.

Think Butters or Reid or Shezel- if not them..go to the draft please
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
neil
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by neil »

Petracca while a great player is 29 and will be 30 next year. We have have a lot of over 30's on our list we should not be adding to it
We need young players and the cost would be the first round pick we could use for Tom McGuane or another 18 yo midfielder
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
K

Post by K »

Presti35 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:30 am Jack Lukosius an Liam Ryan have popped up as potential trade targets for clubs.

So thats Ryan, Waterman, Sheed, Witherden, and Barrass all looking to leave WCE along with a few retirements there.

Cam Raynor of the Lions is also being spoken about as a big free agent target in 2025, with Essendon thought to be going heavily after him.
warburton lad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:49 pm My anger is subsiding...
In retrospect, missing the finals may be a God-send to the Magpies for 2025.
** Gives Graeme Wright and the coaches time to forensically analyse need and what the club have and what can be brought in from the outside (the list is extensive of 'possibles'- Tomlinson, Wood, Houston, Smith, Lukosius, Battle and so forth...)
Lukosius being dropped ( :shock: ) got the tongues wagging. And before that, being played in defence when he sees himself as a forward.

He'd be a fine addition to our non-existent forward line... But Adelaide supposedly the most likely winners.
The Black and White Lion

I was quick to post the Petracca angle after the KB injury dramas and his independent social media posts and daydreamed he could be a chance at that time.

I’ve mellowed now, not just because we have no draft capital and only collateral damage but because I’ve realised Petracca’s actually on the decline anyway.

His last 2.5 seasons post the 21 flag were on a steady decline with his performance and his teammates waning. Not sure if he’s a victim because the mids have dropped off as a group either because he’s still had some brilliant halves of games but it’s been a while since he put in a 4 quarter effort too.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Jackson Macrae ~

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... e0c013f076

Stat averages for this year (a year where he has been out of Beveridges good books, ie subbed and jerked around) and last year -
Disp - 18.9 / 25.3
Marks - 3.5 / 3.7
Goals - 0.2 / 0.3
Tackles - 3.2 / 4.4
Clearances - 2.7 / 4.1
Clangers - 1.4 / 1.9
Efficiency - 77.5%

Lipinski for a comparison -
Disp - 17
Mark - 2.9
Goals - 0.8
Tackles - 3
Clearances - 1.8
Clangers - 2.4
Efficiency - 69.7%

Sidebottom
Disp - 17.8
Mark - 4
Goals - 0.1
Tackles - 2.8
Clearances - 1.6
Clangers - 3.0
Efficiency - 65.6%

Would be cheap, contracted till 2027, 30 yo (31 in Aug 25), may help to bring on the development of his younger brother.
I personally think he still has upside and would create an extra level of midfield depth for the next 2-3 yrs while we develop the next batch.
The Black and White Lion

Macrae is a gap filler and another old spot blocker at the same time. I do t think he’s suffered from injury, has been pretty durable so far, I don’t know why he fell out of flavour at the dogs but some players are guns early and wane once they hit their mid 20s.

30year olds can only be an option for us if we retire at least 2-3 current veterans. Not against a push for Jack but if our Vets play on again, we can only be recruiting 18 to 25year olds IMO otherwise we’ll end up with more of the same dramas with older players dropping off. Rather go youth and give his brother a longer shot instead
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Forget Petracca he’s staying at Melbourne
He’s angst is more around direction and game plan if club
He’s super annoyed he’s forced to go forward to plug gaps there instead of playing in the midfield
He wants a change in style and the club to go out and find a FF
He’s also filthy on the club and it’s treatment of Brayshaw
He believes the club spoke about keeping him in the fold but has literally forced him out
He had a recent meeting with a couple board members and Pert and made it clear he wanted to see real changes in the culture and how Goodwin treats fringe players and those who are injured (not available for selection) he basically accused Goodwin of not caring about players if they can’t play.
There’s also an issue with him an Oliver.
He doesn’t believe Oliver has been putting in and feels he’s just not that interested in football as much
There’s a huge chance Oliver will be sent packing at seasons end
This will give them some cap space to chase a FF
He was also very critical of the clubs decision to get Grundy saying to the board it was a dumb decision always destined to fail and that money could have been invested in forwards

This is a real case of the player having power Melbourne are shit scared he will try to force his way out and lay bare some of the internal issues the club has so they’ll placate his needs to save face on other fronts
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Go get James Peatling from the giants
23 and a inside mid whos game time is limited with there depth
Was a mid season draft pick so won’t cost the world trade wise only in cap space
His past few weeks he’s been on fire but could find himself out of the team once Coginlio is back in next week or 2
These are the type of guys we need to be looking at if we can’t land a massive name
It won’t hurt our future draft stocks and we will have the cap space to fit him easily without breaking the bank
5 years at around $650k would be I reckon to get him away from GWS
They don’t have loads of cap space to throw around and have massive depth in the inside mid position
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

For those that think Jack Macrae has little to offer I'd suggest they compare the pair. Tom Mitchell was written off at Hawthorn, came to our club at age 30, and was a vital piece that in the end that won us the flag. Many pies supporters poo-poo'd that trade, thinking that he was a has been, an accumulator of "cheap disposals". Getting Jackson may help to keep our window open for one or even two more years.

It's not like we have any capital to trade for gun 23-25 year olds this year anyway. And it seems we've also missed out on any available free agent talent.