Game On! Pies v. Blues. Updates, all comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments.

Post by warburton lad »

I like the 'Ins'

Frampton to match up on McKay
Moore to match Curnow
McCreery to bring the heat to Carlton's back six
De Goey to play in bursts from the centre square and rest forward
Long or Pendles to go to Cripps.
Nick Daicos head-to-head with Walsh.

I cannot imagine Sidebottom being sub for Pendlebury's 400th- just would not seem right.
I think Lipinski has 'earned' the right to wear the sub vest- his output has been poor of late.

With De Koning out, Cameron and Cox have the chance to give us first use- if we can win in the guts, we c an go a long way towards a much-needed victory.

Win the next eight games and we will be Premiers- must be positive from here on in- roll the dice and see how we go...

I don't buy into the fact that the players will necessarily 'lift' for this milestone game- I think that we are either on or not. However, that is not to say that the Collingwood fans won't be in extra strong voice for the night.

Pies by 13 points
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

@SLORT This is where #44Long might prove effective to assist with his big frame in stoppages and get some body on any taggers they send to disrupt Nicks run at the ball.

I always bang on about tackles, but tackles show endeavour. Our DNA was built on pressure that stemmed from hunting the opponent and scoring from turnover. Repeatedly grind them into the turf.

If anyone touches #35Nick, #4Bruzzy should then end them. Something like when Dalton took out Jimmy in Roadhouse (1989) and hold their lifeless carcass aloft in front of the Carlton cheersquad.

Carlton are fast starters, if we can keep them to under 8 goals for the 1st half, then game on.
I'm sensing the old firm of #5Billy Elliott and #22Sidey will wind back the clock, along with the Pies to break out of this recent mindset and celebrate #SP400 greatness.
Go Pies!!
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
BBHS
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BBHS »

If we needed a reason to be really up and about this is the game. I hope we come out breathing fire.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:20 pm Assuming JDG is actually right to go, these are great ins and I'm confident we can smash the scum.

Pies by 28 pts.
We can barely beat Richmond by 26 points, so not quite sure how the maths are going to pan out here ol' son!
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

I don't understand the confidence of some going into this match, yes it's Pendles 400th and we beat them earlier in the season but neither of those things speak to our current form. Yes scum are going through a patch of poor form but ours is worse. Yes we are getting some key players back but so are they. The reality is they are currently sitting 4th on percentage and we are 12th also on percentage. My heart would love to see us honour the amazing contribution of our #10 over the past 18 seasons with a gritty backs to the wall victory over the arch enemy and reignite our chances of playing in September but my head tells me that probably it's the end of a god awful season
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Durka
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Durka »

As far as the game result in concerned, I don't think the 400th means anything.
Once the game starts that is forgotten, it's just another game.
We are better than them, or we aren't.
We haven't looked better than one of the potential contenders for quite a while now.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 86 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We are better than them. We are the reigning Premiers. We are on the verge of regaining our Mojo. We will begin our climb up the ladder with a resounding victory over the scum. Pies by 28 pts.
Horatio Fin
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Horatio Fin »

LaurieHolden wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:26 am If anyone touches #35Nick, #4Bruzzy should then end them. Something like when Dalton took out Jimmy in Roadhouse (1989) and hold their lifeless carcass aloft in front of the Carlton cheersquad.
ded rn 🤣
magpiemike
Been liked: 4 times

Post by magpiemike »

Pies by (SP)10.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I see this as another 50/50 game.
If they get a fast start we need to match them. Given our oldsters have trouble running out the game, we need to get the scores on the board and then work to negate Carlton's strengths while keeping the lead.

The forward line looks better with McCreery back in it, though I'm skeptical about Degoey's ability to contribute much. I doubt he has miraculously overcome his groin problem and thus his contributions are likely to be limited.

Cameron and Cox looks like a winning ruck combination given De Koening is out which probably means McKay has to double as second ruck. That should help out the backline too.

Nick will definitely be tagged by Cincotta. That's a key battle if that match up eventuates. If Pendles is up for his 400th, the Carlton mids will be under pressure covering him and Nick. I like Long staying in the side, he relishes the contest and his ability to feed the ball out to advantage is getting better.

As far as the sub goes I would select Sidebottom so his contribution can be maximized in the second half when we will really need it.

The Weitering/McGovern vrs Elliot and McStay/Cox battle will be a great contest and our forwards will need good delivery from the mids etc to give them some separation as just dumping it on the forwards' heads will favour the Carlton defence more often than not.

Moore and Frampton have a big job in front of them negating Curnow and McKay. We can't afford either of them getting away from us.

As I said this will be a close one. I predict Collingwood by a satisfying five points.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

Not sure if my post was deleted or just didn’t send.

Clearly Fly wants to win this game (as I am sure he does every game).

Whilst on paper it is one of our stronger sides not all of our players are fit. I wouldn’t have picked JDG and instead put him in for surgery and had him replaced by Harrison.

If some aren’t going to be at the Club next year then I would drop them now and put games into our younger players.

Still despite a horrible season I’m sure the faithful could do with a win over the Blues.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

WE will not lose this match, we wont let Pendles down, our record against this Blue Bellie scum is very good. Revenge on the media, last few days is a dish served cold, %$^ u media, %$^ u , take it out on the scum, Woods by 20 points.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Agree with WL re sub. Think it will be Lippa. Lippa has been having little impact over the last few games, and Jack Bytel had more than him last week. So play Bytel in the 22. Would definitely rotate Bytel through the midfield so JDG can get extra time forward of the ball.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Absolutely pumped for this match.

Want us to beat the arch-enemy and do it for Pendles.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Game Day. Pies v. Blues. Late changes. All comments.

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m hoping for the best because it’s Pendles 400th and hope the boys can lift
But don’t be mistaken last week we beat a every ordinary side who still had more inside 50’s than us
Over the past 6 weeks we sit second last for total inside 50’s gained and 3rd for most inside 50’s conceded
We need the ball inside 50 to score and conversely keep it outside so they can’t
Our form line on key stats of late is appalling in every aspect

Today we need 4 quarters of absolute manic pressure and tackling
If we do that then all of a sudden we’re 50/50
Right now it would be more like 30/70
There not in great form but compared to us there going way better

Let’s hope the milestone is enough to lift the boys

Side note Dan McStay makes history today. He becomes the only player to play in a game where a player reaches the 400 game milestone twice