Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

The Black and White Lion wrote:Honestly can't see how we get any decent trade deals done. No draft pick capital and the club clearly knows McGuane's 2025 value now so can't waste 2025 picks either.

Allen, Macrae, Cox, Mitchell, Johnson, Noble, Markov are all players with little value, especially with the forecast pick point changes.

As far as I can tell, and I don't want this to happen, the only way we're creating draft capital is by trading out established players from interstate like Hill, Harrison, McCreery, Cameron. Again I don't want any of this to happen but someone more ruthless might say trade one of these, sign Stengle as a FA, and use the trade picks in a deal for Smith or Barrass. No idea why we'd need Barrass so Smith is the only real option. Would you trade out Hill, Harrison, McCreery or Cameron to get Stengle and Smith in?

Buying a pick through a salary dump is the only other option.

If we have Vets retiring and can lure Stengle as a FA, I'd rather add Stengle to our list than sacrifice one of the bods above
I'm a hard pas son Stengle. Feels like the one part of the field we actually have a little depth is crafty small forwards... Greater needs elsewhere: I'd start with anyone over 6'2", then probably prioritise midfield, defence then attack in that order.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Agreed except I'd say 6'5" not 6'2".

We have Schultz, Hill, Beau, HH and Elliot already, plus Richards, we don't need Stengle at all plus I don't see him fitting the Fly profile. He values speed and defensive pressure, not things that Stengle is a stand out at.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

yes agreed that's all sound on Stengle.

What about Cam Zurhaar then as a FA. Could he help to replace Elliot and release McCreery more into the midfield
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Bulldogs are ahead of us for Barass...

West Coast’s Tom Barrass “open to considering” trade to rival club: AFL Trade news.
https://www.zerohanger.com/west-coasts- ... ws-152333/
Barrass has since responded to reports of a potential Eagles exit, stating he seeks to remain with West Coast unless things change from the club's point of view.

https://www.zerohanger.com/west-coasts- ... ws-152333/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Newelly
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

stui magpie wrote:^

Agreed except I'd say 6'5" not 6'2".
Yep, min 6'5" for a key forward in the modern age of flooding. Mihocek and Cox are plus 30 and it is a pressing need for the club for future success. IMHO
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
skaman
Has liked: 50 times

Post by skaman »

Logan McDonald seems to be the one we are into big time now. Was a Pie supporter ( bonus).
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

skaman wrote:Logan McDonald seems to be the one we are into big time now. Was a Pie supporter ( bonus).
He'd be a great pick up Robbie.
skaman
Has liked: 50 times

Post by skaman »

RudeBoy wrote:
skaman wrote:Logan McDonald seems to be the one we are into big time now. Was a Pie supporter ( bonus).
He'd be a great pick up Robbie.
Agreed. Good size and i think very gettable
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
neil
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by neil »

We have very little currency for trading
The rules on F/S are about to change so we should wait till after they are announced before wasting a pick on a player when we may need more picks for future F/S
Assuming young McGuane or others become guns
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

neil wrote:We have very little currency for trading
The rules on F/S are about to change so we should wait till after they are announced before wasting a pick on a player when we may need more picks for future F/S
Assuming young McGuane or others become guns
Young McGuane eligible in the 2025 draft but I think if we could get MacDonald now we should go hard for him. Potentially 2025 first rounder for a key position player who has 10 years ahead of him. McGaune still pretty speculative. I do agree that its difficult to plan when you dont know how the rules are going to change (although that will be resolved in the next month or so).

Ideally you could get free agents, but they are few and far between. Not sold on Zurrhar - seems to go missing. Would no doubt be a helpful (and free apart from salary) addition. He is also restricted FA though I believe, so some additional risks there.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Logan McDonald key position player 196cm PICK 4 in the drafts, 22 years of age.

From the data above, you would think he would be worth his weight in Gold, and at age 22 he might well be.

On the downside, he hasn't set the house on fire (only 22) , hasnt been dangerous clunking marks, hasn't been a pillar in the air, hasn't been a true focal point, and hasn't even begun to make a name for himself.. other than the pick used to get him.

Now I'm being a negative Nellie, lol. The reality is he is 22, and scope to improve, but he hasn't been like the Kings and just perhaps his value is not as high as we might think.

Given his 'average' performance thus far (I know, he is young), just maybe the valuation is Pick 2 and MacRae. Who knows?

But does he really scream out, pick 1 ?.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Yes, plenty of activity for Logan McDonald...

Swans great Healy responds to reports that Pies are targeting Logan McDonald

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06/26/ ... -mcdonald/

AFL powerhouse set to make play for Swans forward amid heavy interest from rivals: AFL Trade news
https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-powerhou ... ws-152377/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:Logan McDonald key position player 196cm PICK 4 in the drafts, 22 years of age.

From the data above, you would think he would be worth his weight in Gold, and at age 22 he might well be.

On the downside, he hasn't set the house on fire (only 22) , hasnt been dangerous clunking marks, hasn't been a pillar in the air, hasn't been a true focal point, and hasn't even begun to make a name for himself.. other than the pick used to get him.

Now I'm being a negative Nellie, lol. The reality is he is 22, and scope to improve, but he hasn't been like the Kings and just perhaps his value is not as high as we might think.

Given his 'average' performance thus far (I know, he is young), just maybe the valuation is Pick 2 and MacRae. Who knows?

But does he really scream out, pick 1 ?.
When you say "pick 1" = presume you mean first round (so somewhere between 1-18?). We would hope to be thereabouts next year so in the upper third of that range 12-18? I dont know if that gets it done.

I'd defer on the Kings - the one at StK is no more impressive than MacDonald...

In the end doesnt matter what we think his value is, it will be what Sydney demand to be paid for him (which, lets be honest, will be overs). Our best hope is that they can't afford to pay him a decent wage and we demands to be traded. Outside that, they will likely demand overs.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Is it taboo to ask if we have a player that has value and could snare us a semi-decent draft pick without hurting us significantly?
kill for collingwood!
Presti35
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Presti35 »

Just doing my thing with the other names out there.

Trade Targets?
Mark Keane. We've been linked and is a fit. Always good to get a player that's in another teams best 22. But its an awkward situation as he was already on out list.
Dylan Shiel. What? No. Essendon looking to offload him as he has another year to go on his contract. This means a cheap deal and they could pay a portion of his contract too. North could get involved. He is way above VFL level, but he is not the same player he was when he was at GWS. Also 31. I dont think he helps us too much and would rather just hold on to our own older guys.
Harrison Jones. 196cm Key Forward. But there's questions over his ability. Still he is playing most weeks. And we've been linked.

Ben Ainsworth. Looking like staying at Suns. However, is still uncontracted.
Brayden Fiorini. Suns looking to offload him with a year to go. We had interest last year, but that vanished when the trade period took place. Has stuggled to keep his spot this year. If it was simply something like Ash Johnson in a straight swap, I wonder how many would take it? A similar player to Bianco.
Matt Rowell. Yes fkn please! But the Suns wont move him. Contract runs out next year, but a trade would be difficult to complete. There was talk that he wanted to move to Victoria.

Luke Davies-Uniacke. A priority target imo. Do we have the currency to get it done though? Essendon looming.
Will Phillips. Could be a delisted free agent. Did a good job tagging Nick Daicos the other week.
Liam Baker. Sounding like he's WA-Bound.
Logan McDonald. We've been linked to him since the day of his draft. He wantd to play for Collingwood. But getting a deal done (and with Sydney) will be near impossible.

Tom Barass. Trading is going to be difficult I reckon. But we've been strongly linked.
Sam Darcy. Yes please. But why would he want out? We were linked a month or so back. Can't see him leaving.
Rory Lobb. If Cox retires, then maybe. I just don't like him.
Jack Macrae. I think we'd pass considering we look like trading his brother. I just dont think he's been that great the last year or two.

FA Targets?
Elliott Himmelberg. Looks GWS-bound. But can cover a Cox retirement. Wouldn't think its a priority call with links to other key forwards.
Tyson Stengle. If Elliott is thinking about retirement, then why wouldn't you go for him? Hill-Stengle-Schultz is one hell of a headache for opposition teams. Swoop Squad 3.0.
Harry Perryman. Collingwood have not been linked. And is expected to stay at GWS.
Chad Wingard. We tried for him last year. He backed out. Doubtful to try again. 30 years old and recovering from injury.
Cameron Zurhaar. Get it done Pies. It makes too much sense.

Could You Imagine?
Jack Henry :lol: Why not offer him a deal?
Dustin Martin. :lol: Suns or retirement seems to be the call.
Dom Sheed. :lol: Free agent. Could you actually imagine?

Other disgruntled players: (Going back to my last post that included Tex Walker)
Reilly O'Brien. Probably a pass now. Was almost a part of a deal for Grundy a few years back.
Ollie Wines. Looks like staying, but talks a few weeks back sounded like he wanted out of Port. 29 now.
Mitch Geogiades. Contracted until 2027, so dont expect any movement.

Gone: Yeo, Moyle, Kaeyes, Hardwick

Where does list spot and cap space come from:
Have heard that Tom Mitchell may go to North. Tom is contracted for 2025, but Collingwood may move on this with North interested in senior leaders. Mitchell also played under Clarko, so a link is there. Mitchell loves it at Collingwood, but after winning a premiership, this could be an option for him if he wants to prolong his career.

Carmichael (rookie listed) may be forced into retirement. And I'd keep an eye on Elliott with a possible retirement call coming from him too. (Jamie turns 32 in August and as we know has some injury concerns. He is 13 games away from 200, so he may also want to reach that milestone).

Fin Macrae could be a traded player. Earlier links to the Dogs were there, but the Dogs may be looking at moving brother Jack out, so who knows if this is a destination for him? Ash Johnson has a year to go on his contract, so he could be traded for a late pick (Crows and WCE had interest last year). Begg (rookie listed) is a likely delisting.

Other retirement possibilities come from older players; Howe, Sidey, Cox.
Mihocek, Pendles will stay.

There seems to be a bit of discussion about older players, so you'd think we wouldn't be looking at anyone over 30 as we'd probably prefer to keep who we already have, ie; Dylan Shiel vs Sidebottom for another year.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!