Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Culprit »

Everyone offers up players club's are going to delist. The other clubs know that through managers. You will get no offers for those players. Offer up someone who could fit a club's needs. You have to be prepared to lose something to gain something.
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

inxs88 wrote:^
I think Fin MaCrae is under the pump. A guy like Richards offers far more, as does Harrison. He's trade bait IMO. Lets see what he can do over the next few weeks with a chance to rack up some games.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

inxs88 wrote:Seems we are interested in recruiting Mark Keane back. A tad ambivalent on this one.
According to whom?
“The defender will remain at West Lakes until 2025 after signing a two-year contract extension."
https://www.afc.com.au/players/1901/Mark-Keane
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Culprit
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Culprit »

Is he a West Lakes Player or an Adelaide Player? Talk about Confusing. He's a Crow player has to be traded.
Last edited by Culprit on Wed May 22, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SLORT
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by SLORT »

Collingwood is reportedly attempting to lure Mark Keane back to the club.
Channel Seven’s Theo Doropoulos is reporting that the Pies are keen on the Adelaide defender.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/21/ ... -in-trade/
Newelly
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

inxs88 wrote:^
Given their height and potential I think Steene and Eyre will be given more time unless tall players are available via trade and draft.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'd like to keep all our reserve talls - Begg, Steene and Eiyre. Remember big guys often take longer to develop. I've never seen Eiyre play, but obviously the club rates him after drafting him injured. Both Begg and Steene have shown some good VFL form before being injured, but ultimately our coaches will be best placed to rate their future potential.

We have lots of midfield options, but our KPP stocks are very thin. Unfortunately, it seems that Johnson's exit papers are well and truly stamped after his limp performances early this year.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^I saw Eyre on screen in the VFL a few times last year and liked what I saw. Good hands, mobile and thumping kick.

You're correct, big blokes need longer, Begg and Steene both show more than enough potential to retain for another year or 2 unless better options present and Eyre has to be a lock until at lest end '25.

Only an idiot dumps talls with potential prematurely without very good reason.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

^ Begg by year's end would have been on our list for 3.5 years with zero momentum over that period.
* Bytel is an SSP election so on a 1 year contract not 2. He is a now or never selection who already is injured again after half a game.
* Steene: injury prone and 3 seasons later won't have made an impact.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^And Begg and Steene are 21 and 20. WTF do you expect from tall blokes that age? Forget years on the list, they're babies as far as tall guys at AFL level go.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

This is Steene's second year btw. He was picked in the 2023 SSP, just before we picked Markov.
Neither Begg or Steene look like long term rucks to me. I would like to see Begg trialled as a KPD however. I'm not sure where Steene best fits
I love Eyre's work at FB and that long low left foot kick could become a real weapon. very smooth. lots of preseason videos on Youtube show that
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Newelly
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

^Well, Max Gawn nearly was delisted by the Dees before he came good. We made somewhat of a mistake with Witts as well in the past. So no need to be hasty as you can't teach height.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

While I greatly admire Beggs second efforts, I’m not sure what else he can hang his hat on as an regular AFL player. I get the age consideration but he will be eternally undersized to be any sort of ruckman in the modern game.
As for a key position player, I’m just not sure he has the tools to be successful at the elite level.
On the other hand, and given that he’s a year younger again than Begg, I think Steene is well worth persevering with for at at least another year. He’s taller, seems more agile and is good for a strong mark or two in most games.
I’m not sure whether Steene will make it either but he looks to have more upside than Begg from what I’ve seen.
If Collingwood do choose a ruckman in the MSD or during the coming off season period, you can bet the die would have been cast for one of them
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
Presti35 wrote:Gettable shits me. They rabble on for too long.
I never listen to all of it...
Divide the video in units of skips. Then skip across quickly. It wont be long before you find some good stuff.

Bit like checking the chapters in a book rather than reading from cover to cover :D
2 days after Gettable is out, the 'Inside Trading" article comes out. And that is WAY better. Because you can skim thru it and find what you want.

What I HATE about gettable is they rabble on over nothing for WAY too long. They try to be funny and they have no comedic timing. And just that every week the headline is "Pies linked to... Pies offer to... Pies looking at..." And then you listen to the whole fkn thing and its just a briefly mentioned absolutely nothing bit of info.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

I've been thinking about Elliott Himmelberg.
And today he's been mentioned on the Inside Trading article on afl.com.au. They say the Crows are yet to open up talks with him and that GWS will come for him as they have previously. (His brother obviously is at GWS).
Elliott is now an unrestricted free agent. He is 200cm and turns 26 in June. He has managed just 45 games in 7 seasons at Adelaide. He is playing the key forward role this year, with small amounts of time in the ruck behind O'Brien.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... lberg.html

Is he a late bloomer? Is he a gap filler? Is he any better than Cox? Is he someone we should look at?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!