Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

Any chance we can trade for JHF and H.Reid? Whilst signing all the best free agents? Asking for a friend. :P :P :P 8)
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Sad news for Begg - season ending knee. Without being too quick to cash in on his demise for season '24, a) does this facilitate and b) should we contemplate a second selection at the MSD? (assuming we take a first into the Murphy spot)

I don't have a feel for who's hot, but I think Noble getting to game #100 is enough evidence that we should continue to try and mine this recruitment avenue. We're not going to have a first rounder this year, and hopefully wont be getting a #10 pick any time soon. I also think we have sufficient evidence to show that our club is one of the best in taking players with less raw talent and getting the best out of them.

I assume that money is no object in taking these guys (assume they have to fit under the cap, but they cost you $50k + match payments or something right?) so the question is wether we believe they would consume too much time of the development staff etc. and wether they have enough to contribute over a 2-3+ year period (as Noble has, although granted Johnson and Carmichael arguably havent).
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

2024 AFL Mid-Season Draft Predictions | Who Will Collingwood Choose?

1. Hugh Dixon - key tall, Southport
2. Liam McMahon - 6' 6" Carlton VFL
3. Joe Pike, Geelong Falcons Ruck Forward 203cms
4. Jack Hutchinson, Forward, Collingwood VFL
5. Jacob, Blatt, 23, 198cm Peel Thunder WAFL
6. Bryn Teakle, 24, 204 cm Pre-season draft.
7. Ned Long, 21, 194cm Hawthorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvirSrOZDbE
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The feedback is that it’s generally considered a shallow pool to choose from.
Only guessing but we will probably come in with our first pick somewhere between pick 10 - 14 ( depending on Dockers outcome )
There are so many ways a club can go when selecting in the MSD. You can pick a 19 year old project player who would likely get drafted in the 2024 ND and develop him with the future in mind. Or you can pick a mature age player who would likely come into senior selection calculations much sooner than later.
If we’re taking a 19 year old tall, keep an eye out for Remy MacLean ( eastern ranges ) and Joe Pike ( Falcons ) Both are considered to be at the pointy end of the 19 year old talls on offer.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Wonder if they give former listers like Liam McMahon, Ned Long and Jack Hutchinson another chance?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

actually I was thinking of Hardwick as a forward replacement for Elliot. I don't know how many more seasons Billy can survive with his back and vascular issue. He's a star, has been a warrior, carried our forward hopes and excitement there in the early Buckley years.

I'm happy with Teakle as the supporting ruck, if he's still there in the MSD. Pike looks attractive if there abouts but not sure he has the bulk strength or mongrel to hit it from day 1

Liam McMahon sounds familiar. We had a skinny tall with the same name a few years ago. Too easily pushed off the ball. Wonder what this Carlton VFL version plays like and if he's developed any new physical attributes

Hugh Dixon has already been at a few clubs hasn't he? Freo, Saints and Carlton I think. May not have been listed at them all and maybe just had an SSP train on stint

I've watched Jack Hutchison a few times. Takes a good hanger. Hasn't dominated a VFL game by any means. I think he's 190 / 191 cm tall. Not quite a KPF and doesn't look like a half forward runner. I'm happy to be wrong but I don't know if he's taken early based on exposed form in the VFL
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

When is the MSD?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^May 29th R B. Between Dockers and Dogs games
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Between Murphy retiring, McStay out for most of the year and now Begg out for the year, I think we should take two players. As to who, maybe better the devil you know with Ned Long from our Reserves team and a young Royce Hart from anywhere :)
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Liam McMahon sounds familiar. We had a skinny tall with the same name a few years ago. Too easily pushed off the ball. Wonder what this Carlton VFL version plays like and if he's developed any new physical attributes
Same player. He's a bit bigger in the body now and is kicking goals every week.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Anyone interested in Elliott Yeo?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

The Black and White Lion wrote:...
I've watched Jack Hutchison a few times. Takes a good hanger. Hasn't dominated a VFL game by any means. I think he's 190 / 191 cm tall. Not quite a KPF and doesn't look like a half forward runner. I'm happy to be wrong but I don't know if he's taken early based on exposed form in the VFL
On the Gettable podcast on afl.com.au earlier this year, they said every club had recruiters showing up at Pies VFL games to watch him...
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Luke Parker will be out until at least round 18 for Sydney's game against North Melbourne. Will he be looking for a fresh start, or somewhere to play 1 or 2 seasons to end his career? Obviously the Swans are in the window, so it's not like he'll be leaving to chase a flag.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Bit early but come October 31st:

Likely Goings:

* Steele: retired
* Murphy: retired
* Steene: Delist
* Begg: Delist
* Carmichael: Delist
* Kreuger: Delist

Under the pump:

* Bytel: Delist
* Eyre: TBA
* Markov: TBA
* Johnson: potential trade bait

Seems we are interested in recruiting Mark Keane back. A tad ambivalent on this one.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Hmm. Carmichael already linked to a move back to Adelaide. Can’t imagine a trade going down unless he’s in contract. Adelaide, Saints or Hawthorn could be a home for Johnson if he can’t turn things around.

Markov’s on a one year deal isn’t he? Reckon one of the Adelaide teams would pick him up as a DFA

We’re not going to get much of any trade capital for this lot based on our last few years. At least it will make list spots available for other performing or promising players
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark