#9 John Noble - requests a trade

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Noble's effort and dedication are to be admired. His lack of talent, not so much. If he had been good enough, the 137th player on the list would not have been in his spot. Markov demonstrated how - in big Finals - size and strength can overcome a complete lack of talent. Noble has neither.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ a complete lack of talent. Noble has neither.

After 92 AFL games he deserves more respect than that.
Come down to training one night and let him know what you think.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I said his effort and dedication are to be admired. He's just not much of a footballer, which is why he missed the Grand Final in favour of another guy who also isn't much of a footballer - but just happens to be bigger.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Markov to me is another WHE. He is a good find.

I have always admired Noble, but as is the case for every player, it's till someone better comes along, Noble had his shortcomings, but our overall list had more.

Interestingly, when Nick Daicos came along, he retained a spot in the 22.

Last year, I think it was the Saints game where both he and Markov were selected in the 22, I sensed on that day the coaches were testing.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies4shaw wrote:Noble's effort and dedication are to be admired. His lack of talent, not so much. If he had been good enough, the 137th player on the list would not have been in his spot. Markov demonstrated how - in big Finals - size and strength can overcome a complete lack of talent. Noble has neither.
Opinions differ on Noble and I reckon you are quite harsh in your assessment. He is one I have penciled in to become a regular senior player again and use the motivation of being dropped for the GF as a trigger for playing his best season yet. I’m pretty certain and confident that the club retained him, believing just that. Noble will prove the sceptics wrong
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Noble is a wonderful player. His talent is clear to anyone watching him objectively. I was shocked when he was dropped in the finals...as suggested at the time, maybe due to lack of physical presence to deal with Melbourne forwards. When we won that game, he did not get another look in.
I am looking forward to watching John in 2024.
Will he have gained some extra muscle and physical presence?
Or will he prime himself for a role we have not yet foreseen?
He is a magnificent field kick, and his pace is blistering.
I am confident he will be playing a very important role for us in 2024.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
neil
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by neil »

He is valuable fast and an accurate kick as others have noted unfortunately not physically strong enough as others have noticed

He good depth and needs 8 more games and hopefully marries an amazon
I expect he will seek a trade at years end
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

unless there are lots of injuries, it is going to be hard to give everyone a game that you want.

There is only Ginny missing from the premiership team, and that spot obviously taken by schultz.

so, for Noble, Johnson, Macrae, Mcinnes etc, they need to take the place of a reigning premiership player

i think we have the window to rest the older players all year at times (unsure if that is good or not)
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

gurugeoff wrote:unless there are lots of injuries, it is going to be hard to give everyone a game that you want.

There is only Ginny missing from the premiership team, and that spot obviously taken by schultz.)
Good point - its easy to think about McStay missing and Adams no longer here, but they werent there on GF day either (although I dont think that was our strongest team of the year).

If you look at the season on average, Adams was in, McStay was in. Frampton probably out, Lipinski and Ginnivan on the fringes.

Your point stands though - lots of guys who will be hoping to make a mark, but they'll have to get a spot first. Seems like McRae, Johnson and McInnes are the front runners for more regular spots. There is also no chance we have no injuries all year.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

gurugeoff wrote:unless there are lots of injuries, it is going to be hard to give everyone a game that you want.

There is only Ginny missing from the premiership team, and that spot obviously taken by schultz.

so, for Noble, Johnson, Macrae, Mcinnes etc, they need to take the place of a reigning premiership player

i think we have the window to rest the older players all year at times (unsure if that is good or not)
hmm i reckon lippa will be under pressure, and obviously Bradbury! hard to put anyone else out!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

gurugeoff wrote: i think we have the window to rest the older players all year at times (unsure if that is good or not)
I have always thought that players should miss games only if injured, suspended, ill, personal reasons or for unforeseen circumstances. I also believe in the “horses for courses” policy. However resting players just for the sake of it can counter productive if things don’t go according to plan.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

He's back!!
McFly:
“John will play…we want our players to keep coming back and getting better.
“Clearly, he didn’t get what he wanted at the end of last year, but he’s now fitter and stronger, he’s put on about four or five kilos.
“We need guys like Johnny to get us where we want to be.”
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Let's hope, for his sake, that he doesn't repeat his 2023 by playing 23 H&A games but no finals.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I am so happy that John Noble has been selected.
Clearly, he has responded to concerns about his physical presence by gaining 4 to 5 kg of muscle in the off season.
He is a gun player, and he has reacted to disappointment in the way of a champion.
I am looking forward to see John Noble scorch the Giants' cattleyard with his blistering pace.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Clearly John Noble is made of the right stuff as a person of character. To respond to being dropped for the finals the way he has is a credit to him and the coaching panel to be able to come back by addressing the areas that were letting him down.
I've no doubt we will get the best of him for this weeks game and his speed will be needed to rebound. I just hope he isn't found out in the oppositions forward line in a one-on-one too many times as fundimentally I don't think he is good at one-on-one contests. That is where Markov is better.
I recall a couple of occasions in the Preliminary Final where Markov beat his opponent one-on-one and he also offers fast rebound pace from the backline. It will be interesting to see if both Noble and Markov can get a game in the same team this season.
I think Noble is better suited to the wing position where his pace and tank can be best leveraged. This leaves the backline full of physically stronger types who can win those crucial ono-on-one battles like Quaynor, Maynard and Crisp. I think Will Hoskin-Elliot will be played more down back this year too so that doesn't leave a lot of room for Noble. Perhaps Markov will be the first choice with Noble being the sub?
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!