Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Presti35 »

The Black and White Lion wrote:https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/22/the-2024-afl-free-agent-that-your-club-will-be-most-desperate-to-re-sign

Wouldn’t be a turn up if the pies nabbed 2024 free agent Jack Henry from the cats
That would be bloody magnificent, but will never happen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

From that article; Tim English and Todd Marshall thanks.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
DeadEyeDidak

Post by DeadEyeDidak »

Bailey Smith wanted to play for Collingwood in 2024 but was told a trade would be too hard to complete.

He wants to be a pie in 2025!
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

DeadEyeDidak wrote:Bailey Smith wanted to play for Collingwood in 2024 but was told a trade would be too hard to complete.

He wants to be a pie in 2025!
I know a lot of people prefer Max Holmes but this guy is a genuine 30+ possession gun mid if you straighten him up.
Flagpies
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by piffdog »

Not sure if Smith will be any easier to get next year will he? I suppose we will have our 2025 first rounder…

Will be interesting to see how his value changes through the year based on his performances and off field matters. Could see him thriving in the black and white.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Horses for courses - we need the best available stoppages "extractor" available.

Where we win, or shut down the opposition's centre clearances, we are pretty much unbeatable.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Bailey Smith is turning 23 in Dec. Seems he has been around for longer.

He could potentially play for another 10 years.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:Bailey Smith is turning 23 in Dec. Seems he has been around for longer.

He could potentially play for another 10 years.

Hine loves a December boy.
Flagpies
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

But comes with a lotta baggage...
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Presti35 wrote:Scott Lycett is considering retirement despite interest from more than 1 Victorian club.

Thats interesting. Injuries got him? Heart not in it? Still, I'd like to find someone that can ruck if needed. Lycett fits the bill. Just for 1 year. Then it's operation Tim English and Todd Marshall who are both free agents this time next year.
Yeah, injuries. His body is broken.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Presti35 wrote:Although another whole year away, Ralphy has come out and said Bailey Smith is an 80% chance to leave the Dogs.
With both Pendles and Sidey less likely to be on the list come 2025, I'd push all of our chips in on Bailey Smith who becomes a RFA at the end of 2024.

If we don't secure an organic top 10 draft pick over the next 5 years, given the development time required and using history is a guide, a decade might pass before we can draft and develop a similar top 10 calibre midfielder (100 gamers) with his attributes. The type of player that we could get a decade of top line service from.

Reflecting on required development time for draftees, our 2013 draft bust probably cost us the 2018 flag, maybe more. That's a discussion for another thread.
It took seasons horribilis before we secured organic picks low enough to secure Pendles and JDG. There was a decade between the two.
Come 2025 it'll be 20 years since we drafted Pendlegoat (383 games) at #5. (Daisy (157 games) in the same draft at #2)
Come 2025 it'll be 10 years since we drafted JDG (158 games) at #5
Our last organic top 10 pick without F/S factors was Stephenson (54 games) at #6 in 2017.
We hit the father son lottery with the Daicii.

Source :
https://www.draftguru.com.au/picks

Bailey Smith is an out and out jet. Has all of the gifts, breakaway speed and kicks equally well off either foot (essential as a midfielder), hits the scoreboard and loves to chase and tackle.
A 2025 midfield group of JDG, Mitchell, Crisp, Naicos, Smith, Macrae, Jaicos, sign me up.
Smith at Collingwood would get the turnstiles clicking like peak Daisy.

Highlight packages never give you a complete picture of a player, but it's pretty bloody good none the less ~
https://youtu.be/2uyuqt4YY-Y?si=kp9DNwwuwLv6vQ8n
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
jonmac1954
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

^
If we can straighten this young man out off the field, we may have a multi premiership team.
Born to Pie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Smith would be a great pick-up but we need big bodied mids, and I have thought that replacing Pendles would be nigh on impossible because of his on-field leadership and coaching.

But having watched a couple more 2023 game replays, if Pendles can stick around for a couple more seasons Nick will be primed for that role
Last edited by Born to Pie on Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

LaurieHolden wrote:Bailey Smith is an out and out jet. Has all of the gifts, breakaway speed and kicks equally well off either foot (essential as a midfielder)
Reckon he is a "hack" kick particularly his inside 50 kick which is the "money kick". Most other attributes I agree. Great analysis Laurie.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

inxs88 wrote:Reckon he is a "hack" kick particularly his inside 50 kick which is the "money kick". Most other attributes I agree. Great analysis Laurie.
You might need to shed some light / link some examples to qualify that call that he's a "hack kick".
Being played out of position on the HFF this year was not ideal for a player with his skill set.
I'd have him straight onto the wing / potentially rotating through the middle where he can exploit his gifts.

Jaicos on one wing and Bazlenka on the other would be a dream.
Q is how much to cough up for someone who as yet isn't a pure mid? 5x$750k I suspect would be the minimum to get him out of the kennel. Even at that you would think the Dogs would match and you always have the likes of Essendon that would go harder than that.

No doubt the brains trust are planning to trade in some A talent to replace Pendlegoat and Sidey. It's beyond reasonable expectation to jag one from the organic draft in 2 years, just won't happen.

Player Profile - Bailey Smith and statistical comparison to several peers :
https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_playe ... ID=1408732
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Get Bailes on RFA next year then throw 2 x 1st rounders at Callaghan at the end of 2025 when he comes out of contract, the quiet word is both he and Bailey want to come, and that's the closest you'll come to replacing 2 irreplaceable players in Pendles and Sidebot.
Flagpies