Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Newelly wrote:
K wrote:Pie-supporting journo Jay Clark reports the Pies' interest in Billings has cooled.
I've been meaning to say - can we survive without his 0.3 goals a game? https://www.saints.com.au/players/723/jack-billings
To be fair on him you need to ignore his last two seasons which were riddled with injuries. Before that he was a very solid player..
Fair point, so the question is, would he make the reigning premiers a better outfit. When you consider who missed out on the premiership team, throw in Schultz ( ? ) and then add in the still unknown potential of Ryan, Allan and possibly MacRae, I’m not convinced Billings makes us better. The club have done very little wrong since Wright arrived, so I’m ok with any decision they make on Billings but I’m having trouble understanding just where he fits into the best team in the comp.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

I think the Shultz deal will be done this second week.
Freo will take our pick 19 or else Schultz goes home to Victoria anyway and they get nothing.
If the first scenario it's a win-win-win situation. The latter scenario is a lose-lose-lose scenario.

Trust Fro to take it down to the wire. But, we will win the war!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
themonk

Post by themonk »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:I think the Shultz deal will be done this second week.
Freo will take our pick 19 or else Schultz goes home to Victoria anyway and they get nothing.
If the first scenario it's a win-win-win situation. The latter scenario is a lose-lose-lose scenario.

I thought he had another year? & if a free agent they'd still get compensatiin for him next year.

Again, I think.

They want next years 1st round, no way, however I can see us giving pick 19 & 33 or 38. Hopefully with pick 45 coming back our way.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

They want F1, we only want to give up 19, middle ground will be 19 and one of our picks in the 30's or an F2 if we want to keep 2 picks in the top 40 this year.
Flagpies
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

themonk wrote:I thought he had another year? & if a free agent they'd still get compensation for him next year.

Again, I think.

They want next years 1st round, no way, however I can see us giving pick 19 & 33 or 38. Hopefully with pick 45 coming back our way.
You’re correct about compensation and this is another variable both parties need to consider. Saints just got an end of first round compo pick for Gresham, so there is no reason to think Schultz compo would be any less ( for now anyway ) Point being, the Dockers could be saying we’re not letting you go this coming season and if you do go at end of 2024, then we would get a decent compo pick if we don’t trade you.
We can all say what we think he’s worth or not and that’s fine but I can guarantee we won’t be getting any bargain buy out of this trade. Schultz is a fine player and he will be an even better player at Collingwood. Hopefully this years first rounder and a later pick will get it done and that would be a fair result for all ( and as you say, maybe a little something coming back with their third round )
Newelly
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

Kingsofclutch wrote:They want F1, we only want to give up 19, middle ground will be 19 and one of our picks in the 30's or an F2 if we want to keep 2 picks in the top 40 this year.
Sounds right to me
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Newelly wrote:
K wrote:Pie-supporting journo Jay Clark reports the Pies' interest in Billings has cooled.
I've been meaning to say - can we survive without his 0.3 goals a game? https://www.saints.com.au/players/723/jack-billings
To be fair on him you need to ignore his last two seasons which were riddled with injuries. Before that he was a very solid player..
Injury riddled player needs signicant due diligence unless you are Gubby Allan. Then throw money around like drunk Santa.
Last edited by Newelly on Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Doesnt say much on Freos end when they havent offered great contracts to him.
He was a rookie player as well so they didnt give much up in the first place and when he has played almost every game
you would think they would reward him, but its not the case.

So how does that work??

They dont think highly of him enough to give him a proper contract but when it comes to asking what he is worth to some one else its a different story...
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 93 times

Post by RudeBoy »

magpieazza wrote:Doesnt say much on Freos end when they havent offered great contracts to him.
He was a rookie player as well so they didnt give much up in the first place and when he has played almost every game

So how does that work??

They dont think highly of him enough to give him a proper contract but when it comes to asking what he is worth to some one else its a different story...
From memory, we had Checkers on rolling rookie contracts for 3 yrs or so.
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Presti35 »

Presti35 wrote:I'd like to hear others opinions on Jackson Hately and Riley Bonner. Both have been delisted and can be rookie drafted. Duds? Potential studs?
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ately.html
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... onner.html
Also interested to hear others thoughts on Brodie McLaughlin. Leading goal kicker in the VFL. Helped lead them to the premiership. 25 years old, 193cm, Key Forward, zero AFL games.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Presti35 »

But yes, lets get Shultz over the line on Monday. Dont want to be waiting until the end. Would like some time to look at other options.

If its 19 or the F1, can we still use the other in another trade? FWIW, I'd rather use 19 as this years draft has been touted as a less talented one.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Post by warburton lad »

Definitely would look at McLaughlin- he is a very handy size 193cms and 87kgs and reads the play well- could be trialled as an intercept marking defender in the VFL.

Another one in this discussion would be Cameron Fleeton from GWS- 192cms and 89kgs... intercept defender with a neat left-foot kick on him.

A suggestion today that Lachie Keefe may be rookie listed by us if delisted by GWS- insurance for rucks and key backs- he has played 11 games is 204cms and 104kgs and is an honest broker.

Another we should look at is Emerson Jeka- delisted by the Hawks but is 198cms and 93kgs forward. The suggestion from Box Hill Hawks is that his development stalled after early promise, but he is only just turned 22 and is a very reliable kick on both feet.

I would not be surprised if Arlo Draper is rookies by the Pies- 186cm and 80kg midfielder/forward who is a classy user of the ball; actually surprised that he was not offered another contract.

Certainly agree that Schultz is the number one priority- hopefully gets done first thing on Monday. I would pass on Billings- we have Macrae, Allen, Ryan, McInnes, Harrison, Kreuger, Kelly, Begg, Carmichael, Steele and Richards on our list to pump games into (when earnt).

I assume that we will part with Pick 19 for the Schultz trade leaving us with 33 & 38 for the National Draft. I presume that we will just use the two live picks and upgrade Markov or Johnson from the Rookie list.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Pies2016 wrote:
themonk wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:I think the Shultz deal will be done this second week.

I thought he had another year? & if a free agent they'd still get compensatiin for him next year.

Again, I think.

You’re correct about compensation and this is another variable both parties need to consider. Saints just got an end of first round compo pick for Gresham, so there is no reason to think Schultz compo would be any less ( for now anyway ) Point being, the Dockers could be saying we’re not letting you go this coming season and if you do go at end of 2024, then we would get a decent compo pick if we don’t trade you.
We can all say what we think he’s worth or not and that’s fine but I can guarantee we won’t be getting any bargain buy out of this trade. Schultz is a fine player and he will be an even better player at Collingwood. Hopefully this years first rounder and a later pick will get it done and that would be a fair result for all ( and as you say, maybe a little something coming back with their third round )
Schultz will be a year older and more importantly an UFA (previously delisted) meaning that the Dockers I believe can't match an offer and force trade.

I doubt our contract offer will be enough to produce an end of first round compensation pick just like our contract offer for McStay didn't.

If we have our claws into someone already for next year and intend on using our F1 as part of a trade offer then pick #19 + F2 should be our final offer. Take it or leave it.

We just won a flag without Schultz and I'm keen anyway on seeing what the likes of Ginnivan, McInnes, Allan, Macrae and Harrison can produce next season and with no Adams plus no Schultz it will help keep one spot open.

If we aren't already laying the groundwork on landing a big fish next season then an argument could be made for the use of our F1 given our Premiership window is open. History would suggest you need to be in the ear of the big trade targets well in advance of them being available so we're probably already to late to the party if that isn't the case.

Trust Wright to make the correct call.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

Presti35 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:I'd like to hear others opinions on Jackson Hately and Riley Bonner. Both have been delisted and can be rookie drafted. Duds? Potential studs?
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ately.html
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... onner.html
Also interested to hear others thoughts on Brodie McLaughlin. Leading goal kicker in the VFL. Helped lead them to the premiership. 25 years old, 193cm, Key Forward, zero AFL games.
What was Mihocek's VFL record for Port Melbourne like before we picked him up?
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

RudeBoy wrote:
magpieazza wrote:Doesnt say much on Freos end when they havent offered great contracts to him.

So how does that work??

From memory, we had Checkers on rolling rookie contracts for 3 yrs or so.
Sounds right and it will happen again bc rookie selections have worked well for us. Would like to think that we treated BM well enough to make him want to stay and thinking about it again maybe Freo knew Schultz was wanting to return to Vic so were resigned to losing him.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.